• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More advice requested

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This evening upon returning home, I found somewhat to my surprise an email from E. Green & Co., which indicated they were holding a pair of  black Falmouths for me, and was I still interested in making the purchase of same? Bear in mind, this was based on an email exchange dated...June 25.

Frankly, I had lost interest in that I had decided I wanted my first pair of EG's to be one of their browns. Since I never got back to E. Green to confirm the purchase, I just assumed they would attempt to sell the shoes to someone else after a day or two (or try to contact me once more within a couple of days).

Does it not seem odd that they would attempt to contact me over 2 weeks hence, to inquire whether I am still interested? Is this just understated English etiquette (and have I committed a breach thereof), or is this simply a situation whereby they have failed to sell the shoes in their shop, and are casting their line back out to see if I'm still game?

The fact is, I am still interested in the shoes, though not so keen at this point to spend $515 (inc. shipping) for them. I remember others here saying that they would drop prices on unsold shoes over time, and my question is would it be considered rude/ out of line to inquire as to whether the shoes might be purchased at a lesser price at this point in time? Something to the extent of: "Sorry for not getting back to you, but I decided that the shoe in black was not exactly...blah, blah...however, if there is a possibility that the shoes might be purchased at a lesser price, then I might still be interested...blah, blah".

I suppose if they truly have been holding them for me since June 25, then it might seem tacky of me to make this request. Here are snippets of the pertinent exchanges:

Greetings once again,

Thank you so much for your recent response. Of the shoes you've listed, three are of interest to me: the Dover,  Holborn & Falmouth, though I do have one question regarding each. Firstly, does the Dover have a double sole? If so, I am most certainly interested in purchasing it. Regarding the Falmouth, does it have a fudge welt (as shown in your catalogue)? If so, I would be very interested in making this purchase as well. Lastly, I wonder if you could provide a bit more detail as regards the tonality of "cognac suede" , or perhaps a comparison with any of your other suede or smooth leather colors. (June 25)
Dear Sir

Sadly the Dover and Holborn have been sold already, however we do have the Falmouth black 7E 606 with a fudge welt, price £247 tax free.

Kind regards
Edward Green and Co (June 25)

Dear Sir

We have a pair of Falmouth black on hold for you (re your email June 25) Can you let us know if you want the shoes.

Kind regards
Edward Green and Co (today)

Although I did say "I would be very interested in making this purchase as well", still would you not think that E. Green would then attempt to close the deal once it was confirmed that the shoe had a fudge welt, not merely "however we do have the Falmouth black 7E 606 with a fudge welt, price £247 tax free."?

Or again, am I missing some finer aspect of English subtlety, a gentleman's word and that sort of stuff?

What to do? Certainly I will respond to today's email in some fashion, if only to say thank you, but no thank you.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say, "you know, I'd love the shoes, but that price is a just a little bit too high for me right now. If they are put on further discount at any point in the future, let me know and I'd be keenly interested."

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say, "you know, I'd love the shoes, but that price is a just a little bit too high for me right now. Â If they are put on further discount at any point in the future, let me know and I'd be keenly interested."
I like it--nice bit of tact. To further embellish: Due to recent unforseen circumstances (not at all untrue--my cat has incurred about $2,500. worth of medical bills in the past 2 weeks, following a nasty run-in w/ a motor vehicle. He'll be fine, though I may remain shoeless
smile.gif
), Â I find I am currently unable...etc...however, if they are put on further discount at any point...etc. This may work (or at least allow me to extricate myself without seeming a dirtbag, and keeping me in good EG graces come next go-round)

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
Actually you need to ask yourself if you really want the shoes. If you go Johnnynorman's route, they are very likely to offer the additional discount. If you go your route they will just move on. So you have to make the call. I have never shopped anywhere that was more open to negotiations than London boutiques.

My View

Reaction score
My take is that shoes move really quickly at EG sale. They sent me a list of shoes available in my size, I reverted the next day confirming a particular one which I wanted and provided payment details. They replied me and said that would be reserved for me. After hesitating for a week, I sent another E-mail enquiring about availability of the others on the list they sent and was told that they were all sold out.

Perhaps my case is not representative of the availability of stock during the EG sale. To begin with, perhaps limited models in my size (8.5 F202 or F606) were allotted for the sale.

If I really like the shoes, I wouldn't risk waiting for further mark-downs before buying them.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think that's just a bit of miscommunication.  You said, you might be interested in shoes A, B and C, then EG mailed you back: "Sorry, A and B are sold already, only C left." Then they just thought, let's put them aside, before this pair is sold as well. So in all probability the pair has been sitting in some storeroom since the beginning of the sale. I cannot imagine the shop staff, going through the unsold sales shoes and trying to line them up, with whoever might have enquired about them.

If you want the shoes, get them. Otherwise send a mail that this was a misunderstanding and you are no longer interested. They will put them out again and they probably will be sold quite soon. Yes they mark down unsold shoes further towards the end of the sale (alas, not all of them, it might depend in the age of the stock) but it might be questionable whether this particular pair will survive that long. I tell you from experience, the selection towards the end of the sale is nothing to write home about.

marc37

Reaction score
Act like a businessman and try to get mark downs; it shouldn't be that hard (use your clout and speak to the top person [and state your case], not a common shitkicker salesperson with no authority to make decisions). lf you no longer want the shoes, be a gentleman and email them.

AJL: no business owner or sales-person is going to believe that **** unless they are a total moron.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics