• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I'm unlikely to ever wear Spectators until I'm a bit more weathered. :p (did all the cool animated GIFs go away?) I do worry a bit about seeming costumey in Seersucker but there's every indication this summer will be another scorcher. Might even make me smug standing next to someone in a heavier wool suit on a balmy day. I never felt costumey while wearing a fedora all winter. Turned out to be one of the practical items of clothing I own.

I've only worn my Shreveports once as I got them late last year. I believe they are lined. Here's what AE says. They come in black as well.

DETAILS
  • Lace-up oxford dress shoes
  • Cap-toe blucher with perf detail
  • Lined premium calfskin leather upper with regular welt
  • Single oak leather sole and regular heel with foam comofrt heel pad and leather heel liner
  • 360 degree Goodyear welted construction - 212 steps of Craftsmanship
  • Manufactured on the welted 65 Last - All about Lasts
  • This shoe is recraftable - Recrafting Service

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think it's terribly difficult to not look costumey in seersucker, fwiw. It's a fairly eye catching fabric, though, so I will tend to go very conservative with all other items (shirt, shoes, belt, tie) unless I'm at the track or something. I think a seersucker suit would look great with a light blue OCBD, brown loafers or derbies, and a conservative repp striped tie.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given the choice between the Shreveport in walnut and a black dress shoe, I would go with the Shreveport. IMO, black shoes with a seersucker suit is very difficult to do well. You have to dress everything else up somewhat formally, just so, almost a sort of "big city business" version of seersucker. About the only person who quickly comes to mind I've seen do that very well is our very own @upr_crust . To paraphrase Bobby Jones speaking of Jack Nicholas, "he's plays a game of which I am not familiar." The possibility of failure is great. You can end up looking like one of those senators who bought a new seersucker suit for Seersucker Thursday and doesn't quite feel comfortable figuring out what to do next. Bottom line, the SS suit is inherently informal, quite the opposite of a typical black dress shoe, so opting for something less formal in design and color is usually a safer move.

That Shreveport has open lacing, is light in color, and woven. Its plain cap toe seems a bit out of place but, again, if my choices were it and a black captoe, I'd opt for the Shreveport and not look back.

My own top 3 choices, in order, when wearing a SS suit are:

1. walnut and bone spectators
2. white bucks
3. a tan shoe with a lot of brogueing, e.g. everyone's walnut Strands.

I'm curious: is the Shreveport lined?

Thank you for the complimentary mention. As for footwear with my seersucker suit, I generally have opted for either tan or chestnut colored lace-ups (the lightest shoes that I own). I currently do not own white bucks (my old pair wore out, and have not yet been replaced), and I am not that taken with white bucks with a seersucker suit - perhaps with the trousers alone, but not with a jacket and tie. As for "big city seersucker", I do live in a very big city, and I have an inherently formal sensibility, hence the stylistic variation within the seersucker canon.

I have learned (the hard way) that vivid color and seersucker suits do not mix well, and that accessorizing should be kept fairly simple, in line with the relative informality of the suit itself.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input from all. Thought I'd try light blue shirt and solid tie. Picked up a nice solid navy Drake's from The Armoury. Should do nicely. I agree that bold suits need subdued accessories.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having trouble trying to figure out when Seersucker Day is this year. Senate is mildly disfunctional at the moment.

colco

Reaction score
Gentlemen:

I would like to get some opinions on bd collared shirts made up in poplin and broadcloth or other similarly plain dressier weaves. While I love my ocbd's as much as the next Trad, the fabric does not lend itself as well to smoother and lighter fabrics (like those worn in warmer weather) as it does to tweed and flannel and is not as "crisp".
So, do you own and wear bd shirts in dressier weaves? Do you like the idea, or not?

Thanks!

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suppose I don't necessarily think that smoother fabrics are worn in summer. Rough, open weaved, linen, fresco, or cotton would pair very nicely with a traditional OCBD. When I think of smooth fabrics I think gabardine or some other kind of worsted fabric. That is something you might wear in warm weather, but might not.

As to poplin or broadcloth being used for BD collar shirts, it's not my thing. There is nothing wrong with it, but the last thing I want in a casual shirt is a "crisp" look. Linen is a good warm weather option for BD shirts IMO.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMG_3310.JPG
In honor of the forums returning from. The healing ether, I give you a brief preview of a Southern styled Spring.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 136839 In honor of the forums returning from. The healing ether, I give you a brief preview of a Southern styled Spring.

Mind giving details on the tie? And what color are the trousers? The color of the tie pairs well with the yellow.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went into Brooks the other day and noticed they've expanded the MIUSA line to include sport shirts, which have a pocket, but only come in letter sizes. I didn't think to check the collar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads