• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I hear you, but if we can know where the items we buy come from (for example, i've got Madras shirts from Gap and JCrew rather nice and cheap, so maybe of dubious origin), and if we can avoid the 'sweat shops', it's not bad.
Now of course we have to take their word for it...

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree that cutting out sweatshops is a good thing but I think it's far more affective if people commit to demanding that large retailers no longer buy from sweatshop manufacturers. Because who cares where your madras jacket was made if all your socks and underwear came from bad labor manufacturers? Which is tough because that would mean raising prices.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While on the subject of Bean Boots, it rained here from Monday through Thursday of last week so I wore my 6" Bean Boots I got from L L Bean around thirty years ago all four days.

IMG_1288.jpg

While on the subject of high waists and forward facing pleats, a picture taken in early November 2017 wearing Polo Ralph Lauren cream wool trousers at the Century City mall in West Los Angeles.

P1100360.JPG

On the subject of Southern Trad, are Frogcats Southern Trad?

P1120918.JPG

Yes, you are correct. I am wearing the same jacket and tie and I am in the same mall as in the other picture. This picture was taken earlier today.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While on the subject of Bean Boots, it rained here from Monday through Thursday of last week so I wore my 6" Bean Boots I got from L L Bean around thirty years ago all four days.

View attachment 1111142

While on the subject of high waists and forward facing pleats, a picture taken in early November 2017 wearing Polo Ralph Lauren cream wool trousers at the Century City mall in West Los Angeles.

View attachment 1111143

On the subject of Southern Trad, are Frogcats Southern Trad?

View attachment 1111144

Yes, you are correct. I am wearing the same jacket and tie and I am in the same mall as in the other picture. This picture was taken earlier today.

I like your style oldman.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is what happens why I try to take a picture under-house-arrest on an already dark Winter day. I haven't put on my shoes yet, so no creepy picture of feet, but I will be wearing my Bean boots since we got 37 feet of snow last night.

By the by, I've been going without a pocket square more and more lately. I have a lot of patterned jackets, shirts, and ties and over time I've started to think that a PS is often too much. Especially with the casual Ivy vibe I've tried to embody. Indeed, I considered going without a tie but adding a pocket square today but after looking at the two, I actually think wearing this knit tie looks more casual than going without it but adding an off white silk square. I could have gone without both, I suppose, but the pull of the dandy is strong.

mgj.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
This is what happens why I try to take a picture under-house-arrest on an already dark Winter day. I haven't put on my shoes yet, so no creepy picture of feet, but I will be wearing my Bean boots since we got 37 feet of snow last night.

By the by, I've been going without a pocket square more and more lately. I have a lot of patterned jackets, shirts, and ties and over time I've started to think that a PS is often too much. Especially with the casual Ivy vibe I've tried to embody. Indeed, I considered going without a tie but adding a pocket square today but after looking at the two, I actually think wearing this knit tie looks more casual than going without it but adding an off white silk square. I could have gone without both, I suppose, but the pull of the dandy is strong.

View attachment 1112653

I am very glad that you say that. I find the SF-CM habit of a PS + tie really too much (most of the time). Why not, but it looks like an obligation.
It is considered overdressed in France (at least in the milieu where i come from).
My father, who was a very smart gentleman, only wore a tie OR a PS. Never both at the same time.
Usually when you post a pic on the WAYWRN thread, if you don't have a PS + tie you will have a remark :D.
I noticed the other day though that one of the usual suspect only wore a tie, and nobody said anything strangely.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will say that wearing a tie with a PS is an interesting challenge, especially when both have a pattern. And there was a peculiar notion floating around a while back that you aren't fully dressed if you aren't wearing a pocket square. So I'm sure those ideas have influence around here.

Several old hands on SF have remarked that the PS choices people make around here are usually more bad than they are good. The suggestion being that pocket squares fail because of the lack of skill of the wearer. But I have seen a lot of outfits where I don't think any PS would look good. Said old hands would have you believe that they themselves could have chosen one more skillfully but I doubt it.

Artigas

Reaction score
When I first started reading SF about ten years ago, I became a pocket square believer. This was at a time when I rarely ever saw them in person, and it was like my eyes had been opened to a whole new world of menswear possibilities. I began to think any jacket without one looked ugly; any outfit with an empty pocket was incomplete.

But after a few years and a few moves from state to state, I misplaced most of my squares, and then I kind of stopped wearing the few I still had, and now I don't really even notice them much anymore, whether people are wearing them or not. They just don't seem to draw my eye. When I do try one on I usually think they look a little busy, like @Caustic Man says.

The real question seems to be: should we be blowing our noses into our pocket squares? :sly:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, y’all. A PS can look amazing on a jacket that isn’t too busy and with a sober shirt and tie. But yeah, when you are wearing a patterned jacket, patterned shirt, and patterned tie it’s just like... why? And especially if you’re going for the Trad’s nonchalance it can really make you look like you agonized over it.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lapel watch strap or chain may be (for those who wear pocket watches) an alternative a pocket square.

P1120945.jpg

Although some people may be surprised if you don't wear both a lapel watch strap and a pocket square.

fa13cf4dc4f9bb0ef7894db5d01a7ccc.jpg

Since someone always asks, it's a white chocolate cranberry oatmeal cookie.

Artigas

Reaction score
A lapel watch strap or chain may be (for those who wear pocket watches) an alternative a pocket square.

View attachment 1112826

Although some people may be surprised if you don't wear both a lapel watch strap and a pocket square.

View attachment 1112836

Upon seeing your leather watch strap, I instantly thought of Bertie Wooster. I was then pleased to scroll down and see his image on the screen as well.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1112826

View attachment 1112836

Just no horseshoes on that tie... that's the most important!

Epicure

Reaction score

View attachment 1112653
If I might join the discussion, and share my thoughts as someone who has never seen someone dressed in trad style anywhere but online, my 2 cents is that all else being equal, you made the optimal accessory choice. Trad or not. In my minds eye, the alternative choice of a cream/off white square without the tie wouldn't have worked nearly as well, as it wouldn't have pulled everything together in the way that the tie does. And to do both the tie and the square - even keeping it as simple as the mentioned off white silk - would be overkill. The jacket just doesn't need any further embellishment. It's likely that a choice of any patterned square would look forced. I doubt any patterned square would improve the overall look.
I will say that wearing a tie with a PS is an interesting challenge, especially when both have a pattern. And there was a peculiar notion floating around a while back that you aren't fully dressed if you aren't wearing a pocket square. So I'm sure those ideas have influence around here.

Several old hands on SF have remarked that the PS choices people make around here are usually more bad than they are good. The suggestion being that pocket squares fail because of the lack of skill of the wearer. But I have seen a lot of outfits where I don't think any PS would look good. Said old hands would have you believe that they themselves could have chosen one more skillfully but I doubt it.
Indeed. It's often a case of less is more here. Other than particularly bold patterned jackets, as shown in your example fit above, I tend to find that I hardly ever adorn the pocket of a corduroy jacket with any form of square. This is regardless of whether the jacket is part of a suit, or it is worn with odd trousers. It always looks wrong/contrived/over-done in some way or another.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads