• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Momotaro

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're getting the ol' hyper penis tent and butt puff eh? No matter how much you press it down it comes back eh?

I had that issue with my IH 666S at one point before I shrunk them completely.

Soak those MFers something fierce and hang em out to dry.

Keep in mind that you'll experience only "minimal shrinkage" and for once "minimal shrinkage" is a bad thing (zing).
rotflmao.gif

Thanks for describing the problem better than I did (or maybe wanted to!).

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
There always seems to be confusion and miss-information about the denim mill and company Japan Blue Group. This is the full break down posted on our blog today: http://blueowlworkshop.blogspot.com/2013/05/denim-mills-japan-blue-group-denim.html

Below is full copy of the article:

Nestled between sea and hillside on the southern side of Honshu lies the heart of the denim world in Japan. The Kojima district in Okayama, housing just less than 16,000 people, is home to every major denim mill in the Land of the Rising Sun. It is here that Japan Blue Group, the makers of Momotaro and Japan Blue Jeans reside. Japan Blue Group, a conglomerate of Collect Co., Rampuya, and Momotaro, is not one of the oldest mills in the area but it is held in the highest esteem by both Japan's denim enthusiasts and those around the world. In 1992 a denim salesman named Hisao Manabe collaborated with his friend Masahiro Suwaki to form Collect Co. This venture, named for Manabe's passion for collecting fabrics and denim, was created with the vision to sell fabrics that would withstand the test of time. While the company originally intended to buy fabrics from weave makers and sell to garment makers, Manabe quickly found that the textile market was dominated by larger companies. At this time the vintage denim revival was well underway but, despite his connections, Manabe found it difficult to source selvedge fabric as a small company. To combat this, he began creating his own fabrics, and in 1993 he purchased his own shuttle looms.

It was a rocky start: In order to create artisan textiles according to their vision they needed to become experts with the machines and the materials. In 1994 they began using Zimbabwe cotton, widely considered to be the highest quality with a lustrous and flexible character. Manabe was worried that the denim wouldn't sell because of the high price, but to his surprise it was very popular. The quality of the denim they were producing began to change the view of denim to that of a fine material, and Manabe cites this change as one of his proudest accomplishments. In 1995 they teamed up with a company named Aizome (the Japanese word for indigo dye) and created their first natural indigo fabric. This fabric, which they named Japan Blue, was the namesake for the Japan Blue Group and the Japan Blue jeans line. At this point Collect Co. was still a mostly wholesaler for high quality textiles. However, in 1996 Rampuya split from the main company to focus on the creation of high quality denims.

Manabe bought his own fields to grow indigo specifically for the Rampuya denim, and purchased more shuttle looms. Meanwhile Collect Co. began to explore new fabrics such as army tents and sacks with oil finishes. Through the next decade the two companies expanded and became highly reputable, but they were still focused on the creation and selling of fabrics. It was not until 2005 that Manabe and Suwaki decided to create their own denim line. They felt that the understanding of high quality denim in Japan was on the decline, and the best way to explain it to the public was to get it in their hands. With the goal to create the highest quality jeans in the world Momotaro was formed, and the Japan Blue Group as we know it today was born.

With careful attention to every detail Momotaro quickly became one of the most reputable denim brands in the world. The beauty of Momotaro is its roots in the culture of the area. From its namesake in the peach boy folktale, to the history of textile manufacture in Okayama, to the artisan spirit of Japanese manufacturing, everything about Momotaro collaborates to create one of the finest brands available. In 2010 the Japan Blue line was created under Momotaro as a place to experiment with new denim, leaving the purest and highest quality creation to Momotaro. Today, they are the only label which creates their product from the beginning, allowing tight control of quality and consistency every step of the way. Collect Co. now has offices and showrooms in Tokyo, and sells over 100 different types of fabrics and works with more than 1000 different companies around the world. Blue Owl is proud to carry a wide selection of Momotaro and Japan Blue jeans for not only the quality and craftsmanship that goes into them, but to support their vision of fabrics that will withstand the test of time.

Last edited:

Will19

Reaction score
Momotaro g017 TTS double cuff.waist and thigh okay but a bit stiff&tight at crotch.hope it'll be more comfortable after breaking in.does it look too tight?

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit is good. Wouldn't worry too much.

Will19

Reaction score

That's up to you to decide. Totally subjective. 

I've seen looser. Seen tighter too. If you have to ask you probably have some reservations. 

Ahaha,just wanna hear you guys opinion,dont wanna be seen like a walking tight sausage lol

ademarco

Reaction score
I ordered some momotaro jeans, shirts, PBJ denim from Okayadenim and and-japan. They both arrived and no duties had to be paid for delivery from Japan to So Cal. I really enjoy the G003-MB OW details on the outside and inside. The 0701 are very stiff and have to get them hemmed after I get some wear and eventually wash them. Also got a momo black chambray shirt and the triple needle stitch detail looks built to last. The momo wabash dot shirt was out of stock and wish I could get my hands on it. I might have to try and find someone in the U.S. that stocks my size since it was out of stock in Japan. I really love the fit and finish of momotaro denim, especially for my 26" thighs.

Ponyboy312

Reaction score
I ordered some momotaro jeans, shirts, PBJ denim from Okayadenim and and-japan. They both arrived and no duties had to be paid for delivery from Japan to So Cal. I really enjoy the G003-MB OW details on the outside and inside. The 0701 are very stiff and have to get them hemmed after I get some wear and eventually wash them. Also got a momo black chambray shirt and the triple needle stitch detail looks built to last. The momo wabash dot shirt was out of stock and wish I could get my hands on it. I might have to try and find someone in the U.S. that stocks my size since it was out of stock in Japan. I really love the fit and finish of momotaro denim, especially for my 26" thighs.

Absent from your shopping list is any pics from which a reader might vicariously enjoy your momo-shopping spree.

zola

Reaction score
Although this may not be the right thread: has anyone some experience with grey Japan raw selvage?
in regards to: how long to wear, when to wash..?
Thanks

TheSoonest

Reaction score
Although this may not be the right thread: has anyone some experience with grey Japan raw selvage?
in regards to: how long to wear, when to wash..?
Thanks
i'm assuming you're talking about black denim that has black warp and white weft. in that case, there really isnt a rule or anything. you wear them as long as you want/feel comfortable with. keep in mind that these arent going to fade quickly like indigo denim. obviously, the longer you wear them, the quicker you'll see fades but it'll also break down faster. it'll take some dedication and determination to get some contrasting fades with black denim.

zola

Reaction score
Thanks and sorry for using this thread, but as someone who also owns two momos I feel like i am allowed to..
It is a high quality, 14oz, really (silver) grey, not black denim from okoyama/Japan. It used to be quite stiff, breaking in takes some time (now 2 months) but the colour and the fit is amazing. As I had to fold it up 3 times I would like them to get hemmed but will need to wash them first before that. I don't expect too much fading as with my indigos, I'm just interested in other SF members opinion on that. It's a Tellason Ladbroke Grove grey denim, only one stockist in Europe carries them. No one in the Tellason threads replied.. Thanks!

zola

Reaction score

i'm assuming you're talking about black denim that has black warp and white weft. in that case, there really isnt a rule or anything. you wear them as long as you want/feel comfortable with. keep in mind that these arent going to fade quickly like indigo denim. obviously, the longer you wear them, the quicker you'll see fades but it'll also break down faster. it'll take some dedication and determination to get some contrasting fades with black denim. 

Thanks for your reply!!

Last edited:

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Momotaro: Slim Tapered Copper Label Denims
7460001.9b.JPG
7460001.8b.JPG
Today we have added 2 new denims to our growing Momotaro selection! Today's shipment from Momotaro included two slim tapered denims from the Copper Label series, one is a beautiful light indigo with a rich vintage feel and the other is a super dark indigo that will have high contrast fading. The Momotaro Copper Label series features a 14.7oz weight selvedge made with 100% Zimbabwe cotton, custom engraved copper finished buttons and rivets, 1/8" thick washed cowhide patch, chambray lined back yoke, hidden back pocket rivets, and heavy duty flannel pocket bags that have been hand dyed in pure indigo. Basically this denim features every detail that you would expect from Japanese artisans. Momotaro Copper Label 14.7oz "Slim Tapered" Raw Selvedge Denim in Vintage Indigo - Model G004-MB * The Momotaro "tapered" fit is slim in the top block, has a medium rise, enough room in the thigh to be comfortable, and begins to taper from the upper thigh all the way to the leg opening. * 14.7oz selvedge one wash (washed one time using sea water from Okayama coast) * Rope dyed deep blue pure indigo * Flannel pocket bags and back yoke lining dyed in pure indigo * 1/8" thick cowhide leather patch branded with the Momotaro "Japan Blue" logo * Stitching of peach logo on back right pocket * Copper rivets and buttons all engraved with Momotaro logos * Pink selvedge, pink interior thread - both representing the peach from the "Momotaro" folklore story. * 100% Zimbabwe cotton * 100% natural cotton thread * Available in sizes 28-34, 36 * Made in Japan
7460001.1b.JPG
7460001.3b.JPG

7460001.7b.JPG
7460001.4b.JPG

Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7460001 Momotaro Copper Label 14.7oz "Slim Tapered" Raw Selvedge Denim in Deep Indigo - Model G014-MB * The Momotaro "tapered" fit is slim in the top block, has a medium rise, enough room in the thigh to be comfortable, and begins to taper from the upper thigh all the way to the leg opening. * 14.7oz selvedge one wash (washed one time using sea water from Okayama coast) * Rope dyed deep blue pure indigo * Flannel pocket bags and back yoke lining dyed in pure indigo * 1/8" thick cowhide leather patch branded with the Momotaro "Japan Blue" logo * Stitching of peach logo on back right pocket * Copper rivets and buttons all engraved with Momotaro logos * Pink selvedge, pink interior thread - both representing the peach from the "Momotaro" folklore story. * 100% Zimbabwe cotton * 100% natural cotton thread * Available in sizes 28-34, 36 * Made in Japan
7460000.1b.JPG
7460000.3b.JPG

7460000.5b.JPG
7460000.6b.JPG

Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7460000 More details on our recent blog post: http://blueowlworkshop.blogspot.com/2013/05/momotaro-copper-label-147oz-slim.html

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought the G004-MB's from Jay!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads