• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor Big Sales fabric recommendation

ls1dreams

Reaction score
Here's my input so far:

First shirt - BAD
o147 - Light Purple Pinpoint - I didn't have any solid purple shirts, so decided to pick this one up as my first purchase. I ordered the purple oxford but they sold out and substituted this one. It was a sale item and I had a $20 coupon, so it was like $10-$20 total. Unfortunately, it's an awful fabric. 50's threadcount so it's very thin and stiff, easily wrinkled. Do not buy. At least it worked out for me as a nice cheap shirt to get my measurements.

Second Shirt - GOOD
v70 - White with purple stripes - Nice fabric (80's thread), purple stripe is pretty dark, almost blue-ish. Much better than first shirt.

Third shirt - GOOD
o272 - White with mini blue stripes - Overall, the mini blue stripes are VERY subtle. It looks a lot more like a white shirt. The stripes have a bit of a texture to them. It's a nice shirt, but kind of plain.

Fourth shirt - waiting for arrival
v59 - Blue Twill - I'm hoping this blue is more of a light blue than a medium blue. Some pictures online seem to make it look pretty light because of the white threading, others look kind of bright (but not quite cornflower blue). I will report back when I get it.

On that note, has anyone seen any good solid light-blue shirts? I can't find anything that seems like a good basic shirt.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am almost only ordering 2/5 thickness shirts now, with a thread count of 80 or higher. V37: Nice, heavier pink oxford cloth. Very nice. I wouldn't wear it with a tie I don't think as the fabric would overpower a silk tie, but it is good otherwise. Would pay $60. P112: Really nice white. I have three shirts in this fabric now. Would pay asking price. R15: Nice blue fabric. Nice weave. Would pay $70. X302: This is one of those four-ply fabrics. It's stunning. Beautiful fine stripes. Would pay asking price. R7: Nice. Not stellar, but nice. Would pay $40 max. P12: Acceptable. Could be better. Would pay $40 max. F8: Bought this for fun for Calgary Stampede. Unacceptably thick and rough. Would not order again.
Originally Posted by ls1dreams
On that note, has anyone seen any good solid light-blue shirts? I can't find anything that seems like a good basic shirt.
R15.

nathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly
I recommend fabric P4 (Broad sky blue and white stripes).

I got it for a short sleeve, casual shirt but I think it would make an excellent dress shirt as well.

This thread should be renamed to "Modern Tailor fabric recommendations."

This fabric is on sale right now. Do you have any pics of your shirt? The ones on Modern Tailor makes the blue appear very bright, almost fluorescent, which makes me hesitant to wear this as a dress shirt.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nathan
This fabric is on sale right now. Do you have any pics of your shirt? The ones on Modern Tailor makes the blue appear very bright, almost fluorescent, which makes me hesitant to wear this as a dress shirt.

No pics but I am looking at mine right now and while the blue is indeed bright (as a sky blue should be, I think), it is NOT glaringly so. It is in no way fluorescent. I think this would make a very sharp spring/summer dress shirt as it is bright and cheery and lightweight with a nice soft hand.

My version is a short sleeve, short length, straight cut version to worn outside of pants but I would definitely get this in a french cuff, full dress shirt version as well. My 2 cents.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
I am almost only ordering 2/5 thickness shirts now, with a thread count of 80 or higher.

There are only a tiny number of 2/5 thickness it seems. My preferred choice as well but a pretty limited selection.

What is the general consensus on the 1 ply shirts? Still a good choice if the thread count is high (80+)?

I am considering A94, but I would hate to get a really crappy fabric.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly
There are only a tiny number of 2/5 thickness it seems. My preferred choice as well but a pretty limited selection.

What is the general consensus on the 1 ply shirts? Still a good choice if the thread count is high (80+)?

I am considering A94, but I would hate to get a really crappy fabric.

Anyone?

surfnbank

Reaction score
I had forgotten about modern tailor for awhile there. I still am not a huge fan of not having someone from them doing the measurments though. I guess I will have to get over it one day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads