• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mixing horozontal strip with vertical?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Possibly it is me and I do not appreciate insider gossip nearly enough, but there is nothing more tedious than a thread being hijacked over a debate as to whether a particular shirt-maker did or did not make shirts for a particular designer during a limited window of time. There are two options: Either he did and he is telling the truth or he did not and he is mistaken or being less than forthright. Neither option is intrinsically interesting.

The sole questions Mr. Kabbaz raises to me are (1) are his posts important (do they inform, amuse, etc.) and (2) is he a quality maker of shirts and purveyor of other goods. While both are subjective questions, I can easily answer both. His posts are infomative AND witty and his shirts and other goods are amazing. (He also sells the most hedonistic underwear around.)
I regret that my daughter has chosen college and that I have a legal and moral obligation to pay her tuition and cannot, therefore, be a steady customer of his.

All that said, in answer to Lisapop's somewhat disingenuously phrased question: of course, there is no question but that you have the right to inform us of other shirtmakers. The point is that is inappropriate to hijack a thread to do so and to cloak the information in such explicit criticism of a member's veracity.

As to the question at hand. I would vote NO as to the mixing. In all but the most serendipitous situations, I think it would come across as to busy and would not create a good point of focus for the eye.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(marc237) I regret that my daughter has chosen college
I would like to have a talk with that girl ...
biggrin.gif

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(marc237) I regret that my daughter has chosen college
I would like to have a talk with that girl ...
biggrin.gif

If you think she would listen more to you than to her father, you are welcome to try. I have long laundry list of issues.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you think she would listen more to you than to her father, you are welcome to try. I have long laundry list of issues.
Perhaps after a Summer internship at my art school, she'll decide to become a starving artist. Generally, they can survive with a few t-shirts and two pairs of OshKosh bibbed jeans. One pair is for painting; the 'dress' pair for annual visits home.

In seriousness, though, having one who dropped out and is now struggling to return and work at the same time ... count your blessings.

Sasha Baker

Reaction score
Mr Grayson, I'm relatively new here but need to learn your opinion. I have asked Mr. Kabbaz about New York shirtmakers and he has told me to see either Carl or Paris.

I saw that you don't agree about Paris (ugh?). Also you are talking of the Gamberts (I couldn't figure out which Gambert you meant or even how many there are) and a Mimmo Siviglia as a great shirtmaker.

I am completely confused and trying to figure out who to go to. I have learned that Kabbaz is very good but he seems to be more than I can afford. You seem knowledgeable. Can you give me a list, like of good, better, best?

Thank you for your help.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have asked Mr. Kabbaz about New York shirtmakers and he has told me to see either Carl or Paris.
Sasha: I don't approve of your posting private information I sent you in a PM. Now you're using my recommendation to ask this lunatic for his opinion? Don't PM me again. To set the record straight, IMHO: Carl (CEGO Shirtmakers) and Paris and Geneva are all well-respected N.Y. shirtmakers, each one of the top in the City. Although all three do make for stores (Carl least of the three and I'm not sure if he still does) they all also have large personal client lists for whom they are the direct bespoke shirtmaker. The Gamberts are also well-respected shirtmakers. However, their primary business is making shirts for stores. Making shirts for stores is entirely different than making shirts for people. Quite simply, when you are making shirts for stores who resell them, the customer is always wrong*. When you are making shirts for clients, the customer is always right. In which category would you want your shirtmaker to be? * Results of a study I conducted in 1988 indicated that the average length of time in-store custom shirt personnel had been taking measurements was just under four months. Hence ... always wrong.

MCA

Reaction score
Mr Grayson, I'm relatively new here but need to learn your opinion. I have asked Mr. Kabbaz about New York shirtmakers and he has told me to see either Carl or Paris.

I saw that you don't agree about Paris (ugh?). Also you are talking of the Gamberts (I couldn't figure out which Gambert you meant or even how many there are) and a Mimmo Siviglia as a great shirtmaker.

I am completely confused and trying to figure out who to go to. I have learned that Kabbaz is very good but he seems to be more than I can afford. You seem knowledgeable. Can you give me a list, like of good, better, best?

Thank you for your help.
Hi Sasha,

Welcome to the forum. As a new member, you might feel a bit confused, and perhaps intimidated, by some unfortunate name calling you see. Just ignore them.

It is a good idea to ask around other's opinions on custom shirtmakers, as a starting point. However, bear in mind that some customer's best shirtmaker might not be another customer's cup of tea. It is very subjective and personal. You should try to experiment on your own.

What is your price range? That will help other members familiar with NY makers in giving you recommendations.

Mr. Grayson may provide his list of recommendations (which I would dare to say, it is predictable from his above posts, and, perhaps short, as it seems NY options are quite limited). If I may pitch in, I think the best talent in shirtmaking artisanship is found in Italy, so if you are looking for the ultimate plus value for your money, and have the opportunity to travel to Italy, PM me and I will give you some recommendations.
Cheers.

lisapop

Reaction score
Now you're using my recommendation to ask this lunatic for his opinion? Don't PM me again.

Pot calling the kettle black. Your behavior, both online AND especially offline, is rather disturbing. Get a grip, man.
Grayson

Popsila

Reaction score
Your behavior, both online AND especially offline, is rather disturbing.  Get a grip, man.
Oh, you want to talk about disturbing behavior, do you? Shall we discuss your inability to restrict yourself to a single username and your propensity to defame other posters? Or maybe we should talk about the lies you tell about the various makers you claim experience with. Physician, heal thyself.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your behavior, both online AND especially offline, is rather disturbing. Get a grip, man.
Grayson: Unlike others, I am not going to research your entire history to list your continual contradictions. Nonetheless, in this thread you laud Alan Flusser as a virtual demi-God because here it suits your all too obvious purpose. Same day, same time, same forum, in the "Alan Flusser - short sleeves" thread you scoff at his stature as a menswear authority. Which is he today? Demi-God or Dummy Dud? Hence: lunatic.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I may add my two cents. As with you Sasha, I cannot afford Alex's prices. However, I respect considerably his skill as an artisan. It does seem to me that if a skilled artisan is kind enough to provide you the list of competitors he respects that there is a more than fair chance that the list is likely to be very good indeed.

None of this precludes a well-informed member from having good choices as well. However, I would be inclined to rely on the talented artisan.

I would also add that, if you live in NYC, you can visit shops and get some what of a feel yourself. Custom work involves, necessarily, a relationship. Meet the artisan, see if you feel comfortable, determine whether you think your needs will be met. You may not be able to narrow your choices to just one by doing this, but you maybe able to exclude those choices that give you a particularly bad vibe.

Sasha Baker

Reaction score
Mr. Kabbaz: I did not understand that the information you sent was private. If I was out of bounds I apologize to you. I did not mean to cause a problem.

MCA: Thank you for your information. As you would know if you read my other posts I am not easily intimidated. I don't have a price range. Money is not my issue. I want service and quality. I question whether $600 and up for one shirt is value for a disposable item. I like to change my wardrobe as time passes and do not desire to keep the same shirts forever.

Although your opinion of Italian craftsmanship is noted, I prefer to spend my money in the U.S. whenever possible. I do not like to send money offshore, although I must admit that in recent years Italy has proven itself a right-thinking ally.

Marc237: Thank you for your advice. I do intend to meet a few of the better shirtmakers and may try more than one. I was only trying to find my way through the apparent confusion in this post about who the better shirtmakers are.

I would still like to see a list - even if not only NY - of the better shirtmakers from a member's [not a manufacturer] experience.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your hunting. Please post your experiences - I suspect you will have fascinating stories.

As to your purchasing Italian, I buy French for the same reason whenever possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads