Mixing horozontal strip with vertical?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Mar 17, 2005.

1. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

Hi MCA, for me the micro seams are in the rear of the shirt because of the angular contours of my back, which tends to cause other shirts to "billow" or balloon in the "hollow" parts of the blades and spine. Compound these anatomical anamolies with a long neck, and it all together calls for particular skills to produce a shirt where the collar remains secure without being too tight nor too loose, without any stresses or pulling, and flowing perfectly down to the shoulders and back. It's visual poetry.
    Grayson

2. Popsila

Popsila New Member

We had this situation a year ago, did we not? Mr. Grayson attacked Mr. Kabbaz from many angles and Mr. Kabbaz left the forum rather than deal with the nonsense.

I, for one, think that we lost a valued source of information.
    Would we prefer to have a forum where professionals are willing to give us their time and expertise or would we prefer to have a forum where the 'authority' is Mr. Grayson telling us why every bespoke maker except for his current favorite, is a charlatan who makes rags?

I thought this question had been dealt with and hope that it will be. If you will recall, Leonard left for a time and rarely posts because of Grayson's maliciousness. Those who know Leonard are aware that he is not only skilled but a wonderful gentleman.

I hope we don't lose the experts who make this a place to learn, rather than a place to argue and opine. Criticism is to be expected. Hopefully it will be even handed and not malicious. Outright attacks designed to defame and do damage ruin the forum. Who would talk to us if there was a 90% chance of getting slandered.

A very sad and decidedly ungentlemanly situation.

3. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Perhaps I'm confused. But if this is your first post, how can we rely on your opinion of the events of a year ago?

4. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

I don't believe I disparaged any shirt guys in this discussion, I simply gave credit where credit is due, to the Gambert family for making well-regarded custom shirts for Alan Flusser.  Do the Gamberts not deserve such recognition?  Did you even know about the Gamberts 'till I mentioned them?  They've been in the shirtmaking business since 1933 and continue to offer a quality product at a very sensible price, which I THOUGHT might be of interest to those members of the forum on a budget. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.  Are others in this forum not entitled to have access to such a resource, or is this protected territory?  You're shooting the messenger again.  Truth be told, I have withheld truly embarrasing information, in the interest of civility. And, by the way, are there any ground rules about a poster attempting to intimidate another poster by disclosing online what he thinks is his surname, as well as what he thinks are the names of his colleagues at work? Can you say stalking? Is this not abberant behavior?  To say nothing of making hostile and threatening contact with said poster offline.  Pretty creepy conduct in my opinion.  I'd much rather wax poetic about a true gentleman and artisan in Mimmo Siviglia.
    Grayson

5. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

In my candid opinion, I don't think my saying, "Hello Marc, this is Alex Kabbaz", could be classified as hostile or threatening contact. Although from the trickling sound of the yellow tinkle I heard in the background you just may have interpreted it that way.

6. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

I don't believe I disparaged any shirt guys in this discussion, I simply gave credit where credit is due, to the Gambert family for making well-regarded custom shirts for Alan Flusser.  Do the Gamberts not deserve such recognition?  Did you even know about the Gamberts 'till I mentioned them?  They've been in the shirtmaking business since 1933 and continue to offer a quality product at a very sensible price., which I THOUGHT might be of interest to those members of the forum on a budget. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.  Are others in this forum not entitled to have access to such a resource, or is this protected territory?  You're shooting the messenger again.  Truth be told, I have withheld truly embarrasing information, in the interest of civility. And, by the way, are there any ground rules about a poster attempting to intimidate another poster by disclosing online what he thinks is his surname, as well as what he thinks are the names of his colleagues at work? Can you say stalking? Is this not abberant behavior?  To say nothing of making hostile and threatening contact with said poster offline.  Pretty creepy conduct in my opinion.  I'd much rather wax poetic about a true gentleman and artisan in Mimmo Siviglia.
    Grayson

7. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

Does anyone else find that "Popsila" and "Lisapop" are a little too similar in name and writing style?

8. Alexander Kabbaz

You're trying to find logic in an unbalanced person. Best of luck.

9. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Actually, I had asked about the Gamberts initially as I'm looking for a new MTM shirtmaker (at a price). But the family business has been split up and there does appear to be two companies in Jersey. Which arm of the family (which company)makes the better shirt?

10. Alexander Kabbaz

Skip Gambert, the youngest one.

11. Alexander Kabbaz

P.S.: There are three Gambert companies, not two.

12. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

You don't have to rely on anyone's opinion. You can check the history yourself. You will find that this particular poster has been noteworthy in his complete inability to maintain civil discourse, abide by the rules of the board, or, indeed, to stick to one username. The history over on Ask Andy is somewhat more obscure since the moderators there actually mean what they say when they ban a member for misconduct, but take it from someone who has been around here for a while: he has, at times, created dozens of new usernames in a day and spewed the vilest sort of invective, defamation, and shameful innuendo possible. Everything Popsila wrote is true.

13. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

OK, it IS acceptable then to wear a horizontal striped shirt with a vertical striped suit. Â Feel better now? [​IMG] Grayson

14. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

To the best of my knowledge, Alan Has had shirts made by
    Duke Gambert on Lafayette st in Newark
    Mel Gambert when he was in Harrison, NJ.Skip worked there at that time.
    Alex kabbaz under the Denhof label
    Paris Shirt when he had the shop in Saks.
    There may have been others as well. I think some RTW shirts were made in Canada as well When copley had the rights to his name.

It all depended on who was getting paid and who wasn't.

15. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

Paris shirts, ugh---Carl, your shirts, at a fraction of the cost, blow away anything Paris made for me. Â And, Carl doesn't go around fabricating stories about once training at Charvet. Â Paris was not "beshirt" [​IMG] Grayson