• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military Dress Surplus

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the F/W shows, it looks like military-inspired will be fashionable for at least another season. I'm feeling the pull of the bandwagon. But my style is mostly sport coats and jeans. I don't really dig the field jackets from the down&out aesthetic that's popular here. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on jackets from the service/working/walk-out (ie: not battle) uniform? A (not necessarily representative) example: Much of the "military-inspired" designer stuff seems like it's had the authenticity washed out. And of course I like the price of surplus. Aesthetically similar pieces might be the MJK South Union Jacket from last year and RL Polo's Wool Cadet Jacket and Duke Officer's Jacket:
pPOLO2-3258320_standard_v330.jpg
pPOLO2-3266846_standard_v330.jpg

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say maybe. I prefer older uniforms hat were more blurred in this aspect (like that ww2 Swedish tunic I found).
Plus I would not wear anything with insignia or emblems, just does not feel right.
I do like the wool cadet jacket from the two you posted.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't wear anything with any emblems or insignia, like ska said. Just seems disrespectful. Also stuff with shiny buttons, I dunno, feels to much like an attempt to imitate a serviceman.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
skalogre, battle dress from 60 years ago is still battle dress.
laugh.gif
Now that you put me on the spot, I think some design features I had in mind are metal buttons, worsted fabric, lapels - no matter how short, and little or no flare at the bottom (which is an important functional feature in battle dress?). I'd certainly remove the insignia and emblems to keep from trying-to-hard, if nothing else. (Although EA, it may be that in Canada the way we psychologically respect the Forces is quite different?) We'd love to see pics LabelKing!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads