• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mild Grill Appreciation - Grilled Scallions

registrar1900

Reaction score
I used to to grill green onions like this but always liked to soak them overnight (or a good 8 hours) in tepid water. Toss in marinade (olive oil, salt, pepper, sometimes dried basil...yeah yeah not fresh). Kept the onions from getting too dry from grill.

However some friends in the food industry mentioned that if you soak overnight in orange juice that it cuts out the onion sharpness.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just had some scallions on top of silken tofu with some soy sauce and juice from some yuzus that I smuggled back from Hawaii. All that topped with grated ginger.

And the poster above me is right - you gotta at least cover the scallions with oil.

Do you guys ever grill leeks? To me, leeks are so much better than scallions on the grill.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanna hear more about that ice-shocked scallion with salt and pepper, sounds tasty.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GrillinFool
Squirt the lime juice over before cooking or after?

I like it after.

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
(no ****)

The salmon was an experiment of sorts. Someone, I think from this site, said that brushing salmon with mayo helped make awesome grill marks. I didn't find that to be the case. I brushed them with mayo and then have this grinder deal that I got in Michigan that has all kinds of great ingredients like sun dried tomato, herbs, black pepper, roasted garlic, etc. It's great on mild stuff like chicken or fish.

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by registrar1900
I used to to grill green onions like this but always liked to soak them overnight (or a good 8 hours) in tepid water. Toss in marinade (olive oil, salt, pepper, sometimes dried basil...yeah yeah not fresh). Kept the onions from getting too dry from grill.

However some friends in the food industry mentioned that if you soak overnight in orange juice that it cuts out the onion sharpness.

Orange Juice? Hmmm. I felt that the grilling of the onions removed the sharpness on its own. But I may have to try that. I also want to try it with an asian theme - Sesame oil, a little ginger, maybe some teryaki.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
I do this every time I grill. Tastes so good. Also skewered, grilled cherry tomatoes and grilled eggplant.

nice. typical Yakitori fare, too, and grilled Welsh onions aka naganegi (also wrongly referred to as leeks sometimes, they are about halfway between a leek and a green onion) are yakitori standards as well, so grilled green onions is definitely not a new concept and they don't need to be soaked, but do fare better with some tare sauce and chicken leg meat alternated between the onion sections to give them fat. I like bacon (or just plain uncured raw pork belly strips salted and peppered) wrapped cherry tomatoes (not grape) when I go for yakitori, bacon wrapped enoki mushrooms or asparagus can also work.

GrillinFool - hit up that Korean market on Olive right off to the west side of 270 if you're interested in grabbing some big Asian green onions, they're better suited to grilling than the small American green onions and cook up a bit sweeter when exposed to heat.

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
nice. typical Yakitori fare, too, and grilled Welsh onions aka naganegi (also wrongly referred to as leeks sometimes, they are about halfway between a leek and a green onion) are yakitori standards as well, so grilled green onions is definitely not a new concept and they don't need to be soaked, but do fare better with some tare sauce and chicken leg meat alternated between the onion sections to give them fat. I like bacon (or just plain uncured raw pork belly strips salted and peppered) wrapped cherry tomatoes (not grape) when I go for yakitori, bacon wrapped enoki mushrooms or asparagus can also work.

I was thinking of doing bacon wrapped asparagus tonight in fact. Never done it before.

GrillinFool - hit up that Korean market on Olive right off to the west side of 270 if you're interested in grabbing some big Asian green onions, they're better suited to grilling than the small American green onions and cook up a bit sweeter when exposed to heat.[/quote]

A) I will definitely check this out and I work on Olive so the Asian Markets are right down the street - Love the seafood markets. Two pound live lobsters for $14, not per pound, per lobster!! Sure they're warm water lobsters but come one, $14?

B) How do you know about the Asian markets on Olive?

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try wrapping the scallions in foil after tossing them with olive oil, sea salt, and a touch of smoked paprika. Then grill them in foil and finish them on the grill.

There's a festival in Spain that involves grilling scallions by wrapping them in newspaper and putting them over buried coals.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GrillinFool
I was thinking of doing bacon wrapped asparagus tonight in fact. Never done it before.

GrillinFool - hit up that Korean market on Olive right off to the west side of 270 if you're interested in grabbing some big Asian green onions, they're better suited to grilling than the small American green onions and cook up a bit sweeter when exposed to heat.

A) I will definitely check this out and I work on Olive so the Asian Markets are right down the street - Love the seafood markets. Two pound live lobsters for $14, not per pound, per lobster!! Sure they're warm water lobsters but come one, $14?

B) How do you know about the Asian markets on Olive?[/quote]

former local.

I recommend getting Japanese eggplants when you're in there, they grill well too, and are immensely cheaper in the midwest than their big western counterparts. Tons of produce actually, Korean food is essentially based around grilling, or boiling the hell out of, so they're all pretty durable vegetables that take to simple grilling.

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one

B) How do you know about the Asian markets on Olive?

former local.

I recommend getting Japanese eggplants when you're in there, they grill well too, and are immensely cheaper in the midwest than their big western counterparts. Tons of produce actually, Korean food is essentially based around grilling, or boiling the hell out of, so they're all pretty durable vegetables that take to simple grilling.[/quote]

Interesting. I haven't made the trek down Olive to the Asian Markets in a while. Maybe I will head down to pick up some lobsters and grab some different stuff to try on the grill. Do some experimentation... I will add it to my list of grill to do's...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads