• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mexican Male Style.

Gong Tao

Reaction score
I agree with Labelking. While it is by no means universal, there is a breed of Mexican man who is a real peacock, with impeccable western shirts and finely sculpted sideburns. I like the style, and I like seeing people who take pride in their appearance.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Living near a very large mushroom farm / company, there are many, many Mexicans (presumably working illegally) and many have the cowboy look as described earlier in this thread. I'm all for western wear (maybe one piece - shirt, belt buckle, boots) but not the whole look. Where did Mexicans get this from? Is it part of their culture?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Living near a very large mushroom farm / company, there are many, many Mexicans (presumably working illegally) and many have the cowboy look as described earlier in this thread. I'm all for western wear (maybe one piece - shirt, belt buckle, boots) but not the whole look. Where did Mexicans get this from? Is it part of their culture?

I don't know about Mexicans, but Mexican Americans do often dress this way, particularly those in Texas and New Mexico. Then again, every group in Texas and New Mexico is more likely to dress this way (though, of course, not everybody does).

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I kinda like Indian programmers, they are straight out of the 70s with those browns, oranges and thick moustaches.
crackup[1].gif
Man, I could hear the funky 70s guitar licks when I read that. Or is that sitar?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
While Mexicans in America may be criticized in the realms of society--presumably rather unfairly--I think it is time to address the most important issue of all: style.

I have noticed that many Mexican men dress much better than their American counterparts. When American men go out for various casual activities they likely wear something they got from a sports pub give-away; or if like me, you are in California, they wear something given out at a job fair.

The Mexican males seem to take a certain pride in their look, with boot-cut tight trousers with decorative embroidery, embroidered Western shirts, Western-styled suits, and jaunty cowboy hats. Of course, there are the requisite cowboy boots in numerous skins and color-schemes. Sometimes, they also wear large amounts of gold jewelry such as several rings and necklaces.

One distinct focal point of an outfit is a flamboyant belt buckle.

Mexican and Central American men (not the LA gangbangers) are very flamboyant when it comes to their "dress" clothing, not the work stuff you see them wearing at job sites. Dressing well and "manly" is much more embedded in that culture then it is in the American culture. Cowboy boots, tight pants, pick up trucks embellished with many fog lights, big tires etc. These are obviously not the things that Americans consider classic but I totally agree that the average Mexican man on the street takes his appearance much mre seriously than the average American. Most Mexicans/Central Americans still dress up to get on an airline. American used to, now we wear sweat pants and sandals. Blacks also take pride in their appearance. Compare the typical black churchgoers with their white counterparts. You can tell when a black person is going to church or to any special event. Sometimes I see people in church who look like they belong at the beach. Again, we are not talking about "classic" clothing in the realm of Kiton or Oxxford or even Jos A Bank. Just that these groups of people put more thought into their dress then the typical dockers and polo crowd. Obviously, the membership of this forum is in a different realm all together.

vanity

Reaction score
I quite often see Mexican men in full battle dress downtown Chicago. Tight, light-blue jeans, snakeskin boots, neatly pressed and tucked button-down, GIANT belt buckled, and a big cowboy hat to match.

They stand out hardcore but I do admire them for rockin it. They look totally comfortable and you can tell they take pride in themselves.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of this NorteNo stuff isn't seen a whole lot in NYC. Or else I'm not in the hot Mex nitespots.

Most or all of the Mexicans in NYC are from Puebla, a state in the south. All I see on the subways are Mex variations on the standard baggy homeboy uniform. Not as much color or pattern as the better dressed black homeboys, but there are more rocker elements.

In Mex City in 2003, on the subway (which is only used by the students, tourists and peasants), I still remember one young guy, rail thin, in high waisted deeply pleated dark trousers, a tank top, and glistening black hair pulled back in a pony tail. 21st Century lounge lizard. Perfect.
inlove.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Then again, every group in Texas and New Mexico is more likely to dress this way (though, of course, not everybody does).
Not really. I'd love to see some Asians down here rocking the cowboy look, just for a change.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
A lot of this NorteNo stuff isn't seen a whole lot in NYC. Or else I'm not in the hot Mex nitespots. Most or all of the Mexicans in NYC are from Puebla, a state in the south. All I see on the subways are Mex variations on the standard baggy homeboy uniform. Not as much color or pattern as the better dressed black homeboys, but there are more rocker elements. In Mex City in 2003, on the subway (which is only used by the students, tourists and peasants), I still remember one young guy, rail thin, in high waisted deeply pleated dark trousers, a tank top, and glistening black hair pulled back in a pony tail. 21st Century lounge lizard. Perfect.
inlove.gif

Good point - styles of dress for Mexican immigrants generally conform to Mexican regional styles. That Norteno style which is prevalent in Texas is tied to a Northern ranch style likely based in Monterrey and the surrounding region. Mexicans from the south or the Pacific coast or the Caribbean coast or the D.F. dress differently. I agree that Mexicans do take care to dress to go out on the weekend or for church. I suppose the distinction we're making is between that level of care, whatever the style, and the sort of ultra-casual, I-slept-in-this-last-night style that has taken hold on much of white America.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Not really. I'd love to see some Asians down here rocking the cowboy look, just for a change.
The Asian cowboy is a humorous sight to behold.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13

Cowboy culture is a huge part of Northern Mexico and South Western US. 150 years ago it was all the same place and all centered around ranch life.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Many European countries and Japan come to mind immediately.
Japan? That's not been my perception. And IMO, the EU is as sloven as the US.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you knew three amigos was going to come in this thread LOL!!!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads