• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Messenger Bag For School Use

Spintherism

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
The bags ,of messengers ,they **** up ,your shoulders.
I agree. My shoulder still aches at the thought of it.

While we're on the topic of bags for school use, anybody know any backpacks that don't make you look like a skateboarder, a seventh grader or a crust punk?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Osprey makes good packs. I own 2 of them. I have a day pack and an Atmos 50. They are made for hiking and trekking which makes them ideal for lugging stuff around a campus etc.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spintherism
I agree. My shoulder still aches at the thought of it.

While we're on the topic of bags for school use, anybody know any backpacks that don't make you look like a skateboarder, a seventh grader or a crust punk?

TAD Gear, Kifaru.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Banana Republic tumbled leather bag in chocolate brown will suit your needs almost perfectly. The pic on the site does not do it justice. I love mine.

br375296-00p01v01.jpg

coupdetat

Reaction score
I got this bag in China last year. Compact messenger bags are really popular over there and there are TONS of great designs to choose from. I took this with my cell phone on the spot so it's kind of bad quality, but in person it's a really nice coffee color with some light brown stitching. The shoulder strap is leather on the top and this nice silky material on the bottom. I love it, and it's a perfect fit for my 12" Powerbook! I can't believe so many people use those huge shapeless messengers instead. It's GoldLion brand and was the equivalent of $160 USD.
img160.jpg
I'm kind of amazed that similar canvas bags cost so much here in the US! I guess it's a much smaller market or something.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
I love my Freitag and it accommodates my 17" MacBook Pro nicely. Mine is entirely silver, but here are some examples of their bags:

freitag.jpg

Made entirely of recycled materials.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Here's some advice from a professional student:

As a college student, you will be leaving your bag around all the time. There will be lots of opportunities for people to steal your stuff, so I think it'd be a bad idea to carry around a nice expensive bag.
Further, it will be spending a lot of time on dirty floors next to the desk at which you are sitting in class, so it will definitely get worn down.

If you still want a nice bag, I'd suggest you wait until you figure out what kind of student you will be. Some people go to one class at a time, then go back to their dorms. They don't carry much stuff on them at any given time. Some people leave in the morning with all the books and materials they will need for the day, and carry it around like a mule.
Figure out your needs before investing in a nice bag.

I'm in the mule category.I've had an Eddie Bauer canvas messanger bag for a few years, and it's worked out fine, except for a couple broken straps.

Spintherism

Reaction score
I third that. The chance of scoring a nice laptop makes any old bag laying around the library a tempting target. No reason to sweeten the pot with a supple leather exterior.

Spintherism

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WayneGibbous
A polished turd is still a turd and a 'messanger bag' is still a man purse.
...but following the same line of reasoning, a man with a purse is still a man, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Cali

Reaction score
It is true that you should cater your bag to your needs. I have a messenger and a backpack and only use the backpack if I need to actually carry multiple books to campus. Most of the time I only need one (or no) book and a pad for notes - thus messenger is fine. If you have to carry a couple of heavy hardcovers and a laptop, good luck with the shoulder strap.

I don't leave my bag sitting around anyway so I wouldn't factor that into a decision unless you get something with an obnoxious monogram - just asking to be stolen.

Mushroom77

Reaction score
I'm basically looking for the same thing, if a little cheaper. The Tanner bags look very nice, too bad their new line hasn't dropped yet, AFAIK. I'm still hoping they'll be announced soon, one of their messenger bags in natural leather is a very tasty proposition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics