Men's Skin Care

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by kapay, Jul 19, 2006.

1. javyn

javyn Senior member

My attempt to goad more information out of you doesn't seem to be working [​IMG]

2. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

My attempt to goad more information out of you doesn't seem to be working [​IMG]

We are a meretricious profession - goads don't work, but a little pharmaceutical company sponsorship on the other hand...

Okay. The surface of the skin is formed by several layers of cells collectively called the epidermis. The outermost layer is formed by the dessicated "corpses" of those cells, and by waxes and oils. This outer layer is called the stratum corneum. Shaving does not scrape off the stratum corneum, or the cells underneath (references available to any sceptics). The stratum corneum can be removed by repeated application of adhesive tape ("stripping"), and if this occurs the skin generally becomes inflammed as a result of the loss of barrier function.

Aus

3. javyn

javyn Senior member

So what is meant by this term used by so many face products, "exfoliation"? Thanks for the info btw [​IMG]

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

So what is meant by this term used by so many face products, "exfoliation"? Thanks for the info btw [​IMG]

Hey Javyn, AUS_MD, what about the witchhazel? I saw some threads over at SMF but I am not clear on its purpose/use.

5. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

Essentially it is meaningless marketing jargon. There are a few rare skin diseases that cause true exfoliation (shedding) of the upper cell layer in the epidermis but they do not enhance the appearance of the skin! The stratum corneum is such an effective barrier that only strong acids and alkalais will chemically remove this outer layer. It is, however, susceptible to abrasion, and some exfoliants contain micro-beads to achieve this. Destruction of the stratum corneum is not desirable, in my view.

Aus

6. javyn

javyn Senior member

Interesting Aus. I learn something new every day!

skalogre: WH is a "toner" and removes left over soap. Splashing it on after I shave really seemed to keep my skin clear, and looks/feels noticeably better. I use the cheapo Dickinson's with alcohol too...haven't tried the fancy Thayer's WH...yet

7. upstarter

upstarter Senior member

Anyone have any thouhts on John Allan's products, or Hydrolast aftershave balm?

Thanks,

Upstarter

8. malek

malek Well-Known Member

But Aus I use a face scrub like once or twice a week and I can tell you that my skin really looks better after that... Exfoliators must be useful for something after all! no?

9. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

I think exfoliants will remove a lot of the impurities clogging your pores, rather than the skin itself.

I myself tend to use a thermal mud based soap from New Zealand, followed by a green-tea based cleanser (which rehydrates the face a bit) and plenty of moisturiser. Still working on the toner side of things - something with a lot of witch hazel, I'm thinking. It shrinks the pores, so I gather.

10. Thatcher0410

Thatcher0410 New Member

For body skincare I recommend all the products by Barielle. I have terrible dry skin and my wife hates the way it feels.

They have great lotions for the whole body, and some intense treatements for feet & hands.

http://www.barielle.com/

11. RyanM

RyanM Senior member

I've tried a lot of stuff, and I think my favourites lines/products are:
    Malin and Goetz (face wash, moisterizer, eye cream, soap bars)
    sharps (toner, moisterizer-good but MG's was better)
    Trufitt and Hill (U.C. shave cream/aftershave)
    Urth (face scrub)
    Molton Brown (body wash- Black Pepper, and Bracing Silverbirch- they are way over priced but they definately smell amazing)

I usually buy off of groominglounge.com or menessentials.com

12. Flipcharmer

Flipcharmer Member

I'm currently using Anthony Logistics line of skin care. From the facial scrub, cleansing toner, facial mask and revitalizing lotion. I find them refreshing and not that strong specially if you have sensitive and oily skin.

13. suited

suited Senior member

Can anyone rec. a good facial mask that can be purchased in most cities? I'd like something I can find locally and not have to purchase online...

14. genericman

genericman Senior member

i have combination skin (mainly oily nose that annoys my glasses), asian (no shave, besides stubble)

located in nebraska as of now, so no place to sample.

baxter of california, kiehl (facial fuel?), malin+goetz, others

any recommendations from them?

looking for a cleanser, toner and moisturizer (maybe with spf but not required)

15. WhatHeWears

WhatHeWears Well-Known Member