• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Skin Care

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My attempt to goad more information out of you doesn't seem to be working
confused.gif

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
My attempt to goad more information out of you doesn't seem to be working
confused.gif

We are a meretricious profession - goads don't work, but a little pharmaceutical company sponsorship on the other hand...

Okay. The surface of the skin is formed by several layers of cells collectively called the epidermis. The outermost layer is formed by the dessicated "corpses" of those cells, and by waxes and oils. This outer layer is called the stratum corneum. Shaving does not scrape off the stratum corneum, or the cells underneath (references available to any sceptics). The stratum corneum can be removed by repeated application of adhesive tape ("stripping"), and if this occurs the skin generally becomes inflammed as a result of the loss of barrier function.

Aus

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So what is meant by this term used by so many face products, "exfoliation"? Thanks for the info btw
smile.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what is meant by this term used by so many face products, "exfoliation"? Thanks for the info btw
smile.gif

Hey Javyn, AUS_MD, what about the witchhazel? I saw some threads over at SMF but I am not clear on its purpose/use.

Aus_MD

Reaction score
smile.gif

Essentially it is meaningless marketing jargon. There are a few rare skin diseases that cause true exfoliation (shedding) of the upper cell layer in the epidermis but they do not enhance the appearance of the skin! The stratum corneum is such an effective barrier that only strong acids and alkalais will chemically remove this outer layer. It is, however, susceptible to abrasion, and some exfoliants contain micro-beads to achieve this. Destruction of the stratum corneum is not desirable, in my view.

Aus

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting Aus. I learn something new every day!

skalogre: WH is a "toner" and removes left over soap. Splashing it on after I shave really seemed to keep my skin clear, and looks/feels noticeably better. I use the cheapo Dickinson's with alcohol too...haven't tried the fancy Thayer's WH...yet

malek

Reaction score
But Aus I use a face scrub like once or twice a week and I can tell you that my skin really looks better after that... Exfoliators must be useful for something after all! no?

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think exfoliants will remove a lot of the impurities clogging your pores, rather than the skin itself.

I myself tend to use a thermal mud based soap from New Zealand, followed by a green-tea based cleanser (which rehydrates the face a bit) and plenty of moisturiser. Still working on the toner side of things - something with a lot of witch hazel, I'm thinking. It shrinks the pores, so I gather.

Thatcher0410

Reaction score
For body skincare I recommend all the products by Barielle. I have terrible dry skin and my wife hates the way it feels.

They have great lotions for the whole body, and some intense treatements for feet & hands.

http://www.barielle.com/

RyanM

Reaction score
I've tried a lot of stuff, and I think my favourites lines/products are:
Malin and Goetz (face wash, moisterizer, eye cream, soap bars)
sharps (toner, moisterizer-good but MG's was better)
Trufitt and Hill (U.C. shave cream/aftershave)
Urth (face scrub)
Molton Brown (body wash- Black Pepper, and Bracing Silverbirch- they are way over priced but they definately smell amazing)

I usually buy off of groominglounge.com or menessentials.com

Flipcharmer

Reaction score
I'm currently using Anthony Logistics line of skin care. From the facial scrub, cleansing toner, facial mask and revitalizing lotion. I find them refreshing and not that strong specially if you have sensitive and oily skin.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone rec. a good facial mask that can be purchased in most cities? I'd like something I can find locally and not have to purchase online...

genericman

Reaction score
i have combination skin (mainly oily nose that annoys my glasses), asian (no shave, besides stubble)

located in nebraska as of now, so no place to sample.

baxter of california, kiehl (facial fuel?), malin+goetz, others

any recommendations from them?

looking for a cleanser, toner and moisturizer (maybe with spf but not required)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics