• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

rchdggr

Reaction score
I bought a nice vintage peacoat but sadly it is too large for me. I bought it in Finland so I guess it could be Finnish but I'm not sure. I don't know if the buttons are original. Any idea of date or country? Pit-to-pit measures 22" so maybe size 42? Sorry about the bad pictures. It is hard to see but it has peak lapels. Besides that and the brown buttons, it is a pretty typical peacoat. Center vent, heavy cloth lining in sleeves (army green) and pockets (navy blue), no corduroy. Thick and heavy.

Measurements:

Pit-to-pit: 22"
Shoulder: 19.5"
Back: 31"
Sleeve: 23.5"
Armpit-sleeve: 16.5"

Last edited:

rchdggr

Reaction score
^Thanks. I'll have to do some research on european army coats.

I bought another coat recently but I haven't received it yet. It is a 1945 USN peacoat, size 34. The sellers measurements were p2p: 18,5" ("flat and relaxed"), sleeve: a little under 25", length: 30".

My chest measures 36" and I'm around 6' tall. I've found that most 36 coats are a bit too roomy for me and my shoulders are narrow. Anything with shoulders over 17" tends to look bad.

I'm hoping the p2p is actually more like 19" to give me at least a bit of room. The length is a bit on the short side but I think it will work. The sleeves seem fine.

If the p2p is really 18,5" (is that common for a 34?) what are the chances it will fit?

Peacoat

Reaction score

I bought another coat recently but I haven't received it yet. It is a 1945 USN peacoat, size 34. The sellers measurements were p2p: 18,5" ("flat and relaxed"), sleeve: a little under 25", length: 30".

My chest measures 36" and I'm around 6' tall. I've found that most 36 coats are a bit too roomy for me and my shoulders are narrow. Anything with shoulders over 17" tends to look bad.

I'm hoping the p2p is actually more like 19" to give me at least a bit of room. The length is a bit on the short side but I think it will work. The sleeves seem fine.

If the p2p is really 18,5" (is that common for a 34?) what are the chances it will fit?

Most post war size 34 peacoats measure19" p2p. I imagine the WWII coats are just a bit smaller. It ought to be a decent fit in the chest, but the body length and sleeve length probably be too short. My wife is 5'4" at 118 lbs. She wears a size 34 peacoat. It is a little large on her, but she can wear it OK.

Katt

Reaction score

Sell it to me
happy.gif

No really, would be great to see fit pics as i look for one too...

rchdggr

Reaction score
It will take at least a week to get fit pics. I measured my Gloverall Reefer (sz. 36) and the sleeve is also around 24.5" and it ends below my wrist. The back length of the 1945 coat is on the short side but *should* cover my butt. The back of the Gloverall is 31.5"-31.75" which is more than enough. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Prudy

Reaction score
Sorry for the crappy pics, I'll try to get some better ones of the fit - this is mine, a Saint Laurent I bought about a year and a half ago.

I was looking for something not too warm - this one isn't wool. It's from their permanent collection, the cut of it is slim and boxy, I think it is a great coat for spring/fall and sometime winter with some layering. I wear it out in the rain all the time - well, I pretty much wear it all the time, actually, and it's a very well-made jacket.

It's a dark navy (marine) blue, which is hard to see in these pics. I'm 6' exactly, 165lbs. I take a size 50 in this one as it's fitted in that Saint Laurent slim cut.

Last edited:

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have the billy reid bond peacoat?

If so, can they comment on the long term durability of it?

rchdggr

Reaction score
1945 Naval Clothing Factory size 34 fitpic, thick-ish breton sweater underneath:

Due to my droopy shoulder, one arm hangs lower than the other, I guess I need to get the sleeves lengthened a bit. Luckily there is more than enough material to do that. I'm not sure if I'm going to compensate for the difference in arm length by adding different length to each sleeve. I'm worried that would feel wrong even though it most likely would look better.

Sleeve length aside, I love it.

Snoopy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a brand new Spiewak peacoat. Everything fits perfect except the sleeves on my short arms. The end of the sleeves reaches past my thumb.

Can someone please recommend me a good tailor in NYC area? Manhattan preferably.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a brand new Spiewak peacoat. Everything fits perfect except the sleeves on my short arms. The end of the sleeves reaches past my thumb.

Can someone please recommend me a good tailor in NYC area? Manhattan preferably.

There are no tailors in Manhattan.

JCPennypacker

Reaction score
Hello,

I am after a 10 button WWII Navy peacoat and just wanted to make sure of the correct size. I know that these are a much more fitted jacket than later years. I have come across one on eBay with no tag that the seller has listed as a 38. The measurements provided are:

Shoulders 18", sleeves 24", pit 2 pit 19", length 30"

from what I have read here and at fed. lounge that would make it a size 36?

Is this correct?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics