• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Peacoat

Reaction score

anyone else have this problem? I have a "vintage" (not really) usnavy peacoat from late 80's 90's. it fits pretty well, however, it seems to attract lint like none other. I dry cleaned it for the season, but upon the first day of wearing it to and from the office, started attracting white specks of dust all over the place!! is there a way to make it attract less lint? is anti-static spray effective for this type of problem?

I haven't heard of using antic static spray for this problem, but you might give it a try and let us know how it works.

What you have is a current issue coat made of the Melton wool. They are lint traps, even worse than the Kerseys, and those are bad enough.

I brush my coat each morning before I wear it, and brush the front again before I put it in the closet at night. This is the type of brush I use: http://www.amazon.com/Evercare-Lint-Brush-Magik/dp/B000QRFNGS/ref=pd_bxgy_hg_text_b It works better than any of the other brushes I have tried. It is also fast; a brushing takes less than 20 seconds.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
XcGyeql.jpg
xtF3ekh.jpg

hoodyear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
generally, when buying pea coats, regardless of the brand, do I buy a coat with the same chest measurement as my suit jackets, or do I size up?
for example, if i wear my chest measures to 38, and i wear 38 jacket across the board, do I size up to a 40 when I buy a pea coat? considering I will wear a thick sweater or light jacket underneath?
Theoretically, a coat is meant to fit over a jacket of the same size, so you should be able to stick with a 38. Realistically, it depends on the cut of the coat, and you ought to try on multiple sizes if at all possible.

goonz

Reaction score
Hi all wanted some views on an idea I had.

My wife shot me down for it but I need to resew some of the buttons on my vintage pea coat and was hankering on the idea of using a different colour thread e.g. red. on a few select buttons perhaps the row of buttons that are used to button up (on the right).

Would this look comical or no? Should I mess around with a vintage style coat or leave it stock?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't know, because Mrs. NOBD did the job. I think it took her half an hour to an hour, and for her it was easy, but she's experienced (not a professional though). I had mine moved as well, about half an inch, for a little bit of extra room. I'm quite happy with the result (both the button change and the movement).

Last edited:

Peacoat

Reaction score

generally, when buying pea coats, regardless of the brand, do I buy a coat with the same chest measurement as my suit jackets, or do I size up?
for example, if i wear my chest measures to 38, and i wear 38 jacket across the board, do I size up to a 40 when I buy a pea coat? considering I will wear a thick sweater or light jacket underneath?

There are 338 pages discussing this very question. The sizing of peacoats is as varied as the number of manufacturers that make pea coats. Many manufacturers make their peacoats over sized, so there is a need to size down. Some make theirs way oversize, so there is a need to size down two or more sizes. I haven't come across any peacoats that should be sized up. A reading of these pages will give a general idea of which company does what with sizing.

Generally, there are two ways to wear a peacoat: with a sweater worn underneath and without any layering. Those in colder climates usually find that a sweater adds insulation and warmth to a peacoat. Those in more temperate climates who experience temperatures mostly above freezing, or maybe a little below, find that a fit closer to the body eliminates the need for layering. It depends on the individual. For example, tomorrow in my area the high is forecast to be 34 with a low of 20. That means when I leave for work, the temp will be 20. I will wear a size 40 vintage peacoat with no layering (my chest size is 42). If the low were in the teens, high in the 20s, I probably would wear a size 42 peacoat with a sweater.

For specific information for sizing, see the guide linked below in my signature line. The information on sizing is toward the end, and is applicable to all brands of heavy wool pea coats. If, after reading the sizing information, you still have questions, come back here and someone will attempt to answer them.

Peacoat

Reaction score

Hi all wanted some views on an idea I had.

My wife shot me down for it but I need to resew some of the buttons on my vintage pea coat and was hankering on the idea of using a different colour thread e.g. red. on a few select buttons perhaps the row of buttons that are used to button up (on the right).

Would this look comical or no? Should I mess around with a vintage style coat or leave it stock?

The only one you have to please is yourself. My opinion is if you want to start monkeying with features, don't do it on a vintage coat. Buy one of the many civilian peacoats on the market and use that for experiments.

BIK2101: Moving the buttons isn't difficult, but it is time consuming. It's OK to sew through the lining, but don't sew through the pockets or you won't be able to use them. You will need a heavy needle and a thimble; don't even start without one that fits your finger.

I have lost the ability to Multi Quote and the ability to use bold type and italics. I believe this was available yesterday. Does anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:

bik2101

Reaction score
I really don't know, because Mrs. NOBD did the job. I think it took her half an hour to an hour, and for her it was easy, but she's experienced (not a professional though). I had mine moved as well, about half an inch, for a little bit of extra room. I'm quite happy with the result (both the button change and the movement).

The only one you have to please is yourself. My opinion is if you want to start monkeying with features, don't do it on a vintage coat. Buy one of the many civilian peacoats on the market and use that for experiments.

BIK2101: Moving the buttons isn't difficult, but it is time consuming. It's OK to sew through the lining, but don't sew through the pockets or you won't be able to use them.

I have lost the ability to Multi Quote and the ability to use bold type and italics. I believe this was available yesterday. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks to both for the information.

@NOBD, you moved both sets of buttons? Or just the ones that you would be buttoning?

Peacoat, all looks to be working fine for me.

bik2101

Reaction score
Well, the lost features have now returned, and I have access to everything. Strange.

BIK2101 If you move both sets of buttons, the coat will retain its symmetry and will look as if it were made that way.

okay cool. yeah that's kind of what I thought would need to be done so it doesn't look off by moving one set of buttons.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BIK2101: Moving the buttons isn't difficult, but it is time consuming. It's OK to sew through the lining, but don't sew through the pockets or you won't be able to use them. You will need a heavy needle and a thimble; don't even start without one that fits your finger.

Mrs. NOBD didn't use a thimble; I don't think she ever does. Was no problem. I don't think she used a particularly heavy needle either. Thick thread is a good idea though, like this:

pvroVAw.jpg

G2ksl81.jpg

It's "30" thickness thread.

Thanks to both for the information.

@NOBD, you moved both sets of buttons? Or just the ones that you would be buttoning?

Just one. I don't think it's really noticeable. But I agree two would be better to keep symmetry.

bik2101

Reaction score
Mrs. NOBD didn't use a thimble; I don't think she ever does. Was no problem. I don't think she used a particularly heavy needle either. Thick thread is a good idea though, like this:

pvroVAw.jpg

G2ksl81.jpg

It's "30" thickness thread.
Just one. I don't think it's really noticeable. But I agree two would be better to keep symmetry.
thank you for the helpful information.

IronRinn

Reaction score
Well, VT got back to me saying the 36 measured 20" pit to pit. Shocking, I know. I'm really hesitant to take it. This is the fifth coat they've measured for me and I just can't believe that all of the 38s have measured like the 40 I have. It's also strange that they keep coming back to me with with measurements that are right on the line. It's almost as if they rounding them off. I'm glad they've been willing to measure them for me, but it's also proven rather frustrating.

cfrp

Reaction score
Well, VT got back to me saying the 36 measured 20" pit to pit. Shocking, I know. I'm really hesitant to take it. This is the fifth coat they've measured for me and I just can't believe that all of the 38s have measured like the 40 I have. It's also strange that they keep coming back to me with with measurements that are right on the line. It's almost as if they rounding them off. I'm glad they've been willing to measure them for me, but it's also proven rather frustrating.
They are wrong. If you have emailed them enough you will realize that if you ask for real measurements they will take the tag size and add 4".

When I asked about the 34 he told me its 4" ontop of tag size so it's 38. He doesn't actually measure it. You are still taking a chance when you order on VT.. Nothing you can do about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads