• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

MSTRKRFT

Reaction score

just picked up this peacoat...waiting for it to arrive:
http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/p/Ma...cat214200cat365011cat364610&isEditorial=false
what are peoples thoughts on it?

I am guessing the quality is good, but the pockets are really weird on that coat (2 **** pockets on each side doesn't look flattering). Also, it is single breasted (not the classic double breasted) and the buttons are hidden. Definitely not something I would jump for, but it's something you will wear so whatever makes you happy, go for it.

(PS: $690.00 for a wool/linen/polyamide blend Cardigan? What in the world is wrong with people these days? Talk about flushing money down the toilet. )

Last edited:

Argyle

Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pics what it is, but it isn't a peacoat. That isn't to say it's not a fine Italian fashion garment, but it has strayed way too far to be called a peacoat, as that term is commonly understood.

Last edited:

burgerkong

Reaction score
Those appear to be the standard fouled anchor buttons, which I believe are 1 1/4". If so, they are readily available on eBay.

Would these be sound replacements?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-US-Navy-P...089?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33755d2691

Seller has a bunch. Also thinking of adding smaller buttons on the inside for stress relief. I've seem some coats that have this, whereas others are just stitched through the wool. In addition, I want to add a button to the inside so I can button up the flap on the inside before doing up the outside buttons. Should I just use the same size as the outside, or smaller ones, like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-NAVY-COA...482?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564a79c40a

Thanks!

burgerkong

Reaction score
The new one that opened up is at Ellesmere and Brimley I think. But no peacoats at all.
But the store you mentioned had a ton of peacoats, ALL black..

"Dark Navy" would be the proper term. Shame they didn't have a Sterlingwear in my size, or other vintage coats. I am going to NY soon, and will check oiut their New York store, which has EVERYTHING. Including Sterlingwear.

Speaking of New York, anywhere I can try on a decent peacoat? Other than Sterlingwear, the only places I *might* see a 'Spec'/Mil-Spec Sterlingwear is from surplus stores?

EDIT: I just remembered, 'Creative Outdoors' at West Beaver Creek and Hwy 7 in Richmond Hill has Fidelity, but lined. Opens later in the day and thus I am always out of the area. Run by an old fussy Asian guy IIRC, but this was a couple years ago, no idea on pricing, could be cheaper.

Last edited:

MSTRKRFT

Reaction score

it's too bad jcrew's bayswater peacoat doesn't come in a slim fit. Some of their other coats come in slim...like their Toggle coat.

Have you tried the XS? It fit me pretty well, and it is cropped more than most other peacoats, so give it a shot. For $100 with the Thinsulate, it seems like a good buy.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Dark Navy" would be the proper term. Shame they didn't have a Sterlingwear in my size, or other vintage coats. I am going to NY soon, and will check oiut their New York store, which has EVERYTHING. Including Sterlingwear.

Speaking of New York, anywhere I can try on a decent peacoat? Other than Sterlingwear, the only places I *might* see a 'Spec'/Mil-Spec Sterlingwear is from surplus stores?

EDIT: I just remembered, 'Creative Outdoors' at West Beaver Creek and Hwy 7 in Richmond Hill has Fidelity, but lined. Opens later in the day and thus I am always out of the area. Run by an old fussy Asian guy IIRC, but this was a couple years ago, no idea on pricing, could be cheaper.

I called about a Sterlingwear coat and they have them but in black as well, the lady was a rude ass biatch...

Peacoat

Reaction score

Would these be sound replacements?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-US-Navy-P...089?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33755d2691

Seller has a bunch. Also thinking of adding smaller buttons on the inside for stress relief. I've seem some coats that have this, whereas others are just stitched through the wool. In addition, I want to add a button to the inside so I can button up the flap on the inside before doing up the outside buttons. Should I just use the same size as the outside, or smaller ones, like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-NAVY-COA...482?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564a79c40a

Thanks!

Yes, those appear to be the proper buttons.

The button you use on the inside would have to correlate to the size of the buttonhole. Some coats have an additional inside button for this purpose. Some are the small size and some are the standard size. If you don't have a dedicated inside buttonhole, and have a coat that allows buttoning both ways, you will probably want to use the large size buttons. If sewing the button on yourself, don't sew through a pocket.

AskerOfQuestion

Reaction score
Peacoat (or anyone else who would be knowledgeable with these things), would you mind taking a look and letting me know which of these three peacoats you would go for (price doesn't matter to me):

Coat #1
- Mint condition
- 1950's US Navy vintage pea coat
- Heavy Kersey wool
- Corduroy lined pockets
- Super clean coat

Coat #2
- Excellent condition
- Vietnam War USN vintage pea coat
- Heavy Kersey wool
- Black lined pockets.

Coat #3
- Excellent condition
- 1950's vintage US Navy pea coat
- Made from a heavy melton wool
- Corduroy lined pockets.

Thanks!

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, seems like that would be really hard to find. I'd just use black, which probably would go well with a brown coat.

Peacoat

Reaction score

Peacoat (or anyone else who would be knowledgeable with these things), would you mind taking a look and letting me know which of these three peacoats you would go for (price doesn't matter to me):

Coat #1
- Mint condition
- 1950's US Navy vintage pea coat
- Heavy Kersey wool
- Corduroy lined pockets
- Super clean coat

Coat #2
- Excellent condition
- Vietnam War USN vintage pea coat
- Heavy Kersey wool
- Black lined pockets.

Coat #3
- Excellent condition
- 1950's vintage US Navy pea coat
- Made from a heavy melton wool
- Corduroy lined pockets.

Thanks!

He has #3 listed as "Melton" wool, but it is actually "Kersey." I would go with whichever one is in the best condition. They will all look just about the same, so the only difference will be the condition of the shell.

I would ask him to hold the one you like the best, probably #1 because it is listed as "mint" condition, at an angle to a strong light source, such as a daytime window and examine one panel at a time. Unfortunately these people think they know more than you, so they may be reluctant to perform this simple test.

Last edited:

bik2101

Reaction score
was just checking out the vintage trends website and was wondering for anyone who has experience buying form there, are their measurements accurate? and by accurate i mean do they measure the way that peacoat has outlined in his article?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics