• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

commonppl

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been answered before but I don't want to go digging through all the pages for the answer. In a modern/slim cut of a peacoat, how long should the sleeve lengths be? At my wrist? Half an inch over, an inch over (thumb)? It's a new peacoat, so should I take into consideration shrinkage from the dry cleaners?

Peacoat

Reaction score

I'm sure this question has been answered before but I don't want to go digging through all the pages for the answer.  In a modern/slim cut of a peacoat, how long should the sleeve lengths be?  At my wrist?  Half an inch over, an inch over (thumb)?  It's a new peacoat, so should I take into consideration shrinkage from the dry cleaners?

Navy regs say 3/4 of the way from the wrist to the knuckles. I say about an inch below the wrist joint so the cuff will cover a shirt or sweater worn underneath.

I don't think you will get any shrinkage from dry cleaning. At least I have never noticed any.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think the tendency with a slim modern cut is to go above the wrist a bit, to show a little sleeve--imo, you shouldn't do as much as you would with a sport coat, but it shouldn't be going past the end of your wrist.

brunost

Reaction score
I need a pea coat, and I think I will uy one from sterlingwear. Which model do i choose? There are 4 moedls that looks almost identiacal to me. I will use it for casual wear, and it need to be as warm as possible and in the color navy. thanks.

Peacoat

Reaction score

I need a pea coat, and I think I will uy one from sterlingwear. Which model do i choose? There are 4 moedls that looks almost identiacal to me. I will use it for casual wear, and it need to be as warm as possible and in the color navy. thanks.

The Mil. Spec. is the top of the line. It is the issue peacoat for the US Navy, and a warm coat--more so than Sterligwear's civilian offerings. I think it is about $350 and is special order only--doesn't appear on the web site. Several of our members here have one, and seem to be happy with it.

ykim888

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen,

Could someone with the Navigator 40R please post up some measurements.
P2P and shoulder width. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

svart aske

Reaction score
I have a question for Peacoat or anyone who can help out; I'm looking at peacoats on eBay and came across some Vi-Mil navy issue coats. I'm wondering if it's possible to know whether the coat is made from Kersey or Melton wool. Does anything in the label, cut or shape of the coat give that away?

Kazragore

Reaction score
I have a question for Peacoat or anyone who can help out; I'm looking at peacoats on eBay and came across some Vi-Mil navy issue coats. I'm wondering if it's possible to know whether the coat is made from Kersey or Melton wool. Does anything in the label, cut or shape of the coat give that away?
Use Peacoat's guide to identify the year the coat was manufactured. Any coat made prior to 1980 will be Kersey; after, Melton.
(Correct me if I'm wrong!)

svart aske

Reaction score
Use Peacoat's guide to identify the year the coat was manufactured. Any coat made prior to 1980 will be Kersey; after, Melton.
(Correct me if I'm wrong!)
The problem is that I believe Vi-Mil became the contractor from the 70's and made both Kersey and Melton wool peacoats. I don't know if there's anything on a Vi-Mil peacoat that would identify the type of wool it's made from because it's not indicated in their labels unlike some earlier manufacturers.

Last edited:

improvise

Reaction score
I just won a peacoat on eBay; as far as I can tell with information from the Fedora Lounge guide, it looks to be a 70's peacoat, with the tag hinting that it might have been made in 1978.

Selected photos: (full images here)

More higher-resolution photos to come- I'm excited- but one question: would this jacket look weird with gold buttons? Something like this or a little more flashy like this?

Are there any examples of peacoats with custom buttons? The only example I could find was on /r/malefashionadvice (this post).

IronRinn

Reaction score
I had asked this earlier in the thread but it (or the answer) got lost, so I figured I would ask again. Would anyone know what kind of button would be found on the inside of a early-mid 60s peacoat? The one I purchased is missing this button (the one used to secure the interior side of the coat). On my old Sterlingwear it's just a plain black button, a few millimeters smaller than the fouled anchor buttons. Just wondering if this was always the case or if I'm going to have to hunt down an extra anchor button to sew in there. Thanks guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads