• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

tarheel07

Reaction score
I'm a relative newbie to this site...I've been reading for a while but just joined with no posts. I have found a vintage Cleveland Police Peacoat at a vintage shop that I know little about but very interested in buying. It is dark blue, heavy wool with gold buttons that say Cleveland Police (no patches) and on the inside the tag says Cannon Tailors Cleveland. It has a full corduroy lining (not satin) and when held up compared to the 1940s USN peacoats its heavier! It has double stitching 3 inches up from the end of the sleeves. Pockets are not corduroy. The jacket is $225 however and I'm a student living off of loans right now. The question is has anyone heard of these jackets at all and do you think this is a sound investment for the money...or should I just wait for a USN on ebay. I have had no luck looking through this forum or the internet when researching this jacket. I'm a 44L btw...would have the sleeves tailored too.

Peacoat

Reaction score
If you posted a picture, that might be helpful. It sounds like a nice coat, but $225 is a bit steep for a student.

Right now is a good time to steal a peacoat on eBay as the market is down. Of course there aren't as many listings as there are during the Winter, but if you find what you want, that makes no difference. It actually is easier now to wade through all of the junk peacoats and find the real thing.

Before you start looking, read my article on peacoats, and especially the section on sizing. A 44 seems like a mighty large coat for a student. When I was in college, I was a 38L and later a 40L after I filled out a bit. Having completely filled out, I am now a 42R.

If you want my advice on a peacoat, just let me know. The link to my article is listed below.

Good luck.

changed

Reaction score
I'm thinking about selling my two year old Sterlingwear peacoat in excellent condition-- any idea on what I should be looking to get for it?

(feel free to PM me if you're interested... I'll be make a thread in B&S w/ pictures within a week).

lwkeung

Reaction score
I am 5'8" and about 155lbs.
I usually wear shirts with a ~20" p2p, and coats/jackets about 21" p2p.
For a fitted peacoat, should I find something around 19-20" p2p?
Or would that be too tight?
Thanks!

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagman45
whoa, anyone check sterlingwear's website lately? huge price increase. blehhh.
didn't the authentic peacoat used to be 150? now it is 210......

kraands

Reaction score
It's 90 degrees in minneapolis now. I don't even wanna think about peacoats!
laugh.gif

Peacoat

Reaction score
There is a section on peacoat sizing at the end of the article linked below. The sizing information mostly relates to sizes 38 and above. You are on the right track looking at the p2p measurement rather than the stated size of the garment.

Originally Posted by lwkeung
I am 5'8" and about 155lbs.
I usually wear shirts with a ~20" p2p, and coats/jackets about 21" p2p.
For a fitted peacoat, should I find something around 19-20" p2p?
Or would that be too tight?
Thanks!

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kraands
It's 90 degrees in minneapolis now. I don't even wanna think about peacoats!
laugh.gif

it is only 25 degrees here in canada, not as hot but still a bit humid back on topic, i was thinking of removing some of the shoulder padding and taking in the shoulders, sleeve width, sides, back, via the seams, of the peacoat since I bought a 36L and probably would do better with a 34L. i gots a sewing machine and serger so i could easily do the mods. has anyone here ever done such a thing? got any tips? was just wondering how should i take it the back seam without recreating the vent, or maybe i should leave the back seam alone and go from the sides??

Stalky

Reaction score
any reccomendations on a slim fit pea coat for an 18 year old that can be found in Australia for a reasonable price? I quite like what Superdry has but not real keen on the epaulets anymore and the excessive branding.

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just love the look and colour of this one from our fellow members! Its a APC several seasons back he mentioned but its long gone now so anywhere I can find same or similar medium?

4234944799_9ec296ec61_z.jpg
Coat looking great :).

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's almost time to get our coats from the closet again :).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads