• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This may be slightly off topic but I can tell you this from my experience shopping for a pea coat this season: There's a lot of crap out there. Poor construction, poor design, poor material. At least in the usual retail venues. Most recent try-on was a Ralph Lauren; felt like I was trying on a bed cover.

Among mainstream mall stores, the exceptions seem to be at J. Crew, Banana Republic, and yes, even Gap. Gap's is exceptionally good for the price, around 100 bucks. Very traditional cut, sturdy, thick; but NO pockets inside! BR's main offering at 250 is a refined looking choice, if you ask me; they offer another one in a shorter cut that's made of moleskin, which to me just looks off. The BR monogrammed is out of my price range, or that would be another good choice.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raginberriodoom
^^^just to chip in about sterlingwear's service, they do offer great service, but you do have to call them cause they don't seem to answer emails. i exchanged a coat with them, and they even paid for my shipping!

Yeah, just call them up. There's a lady named Marie Shanahan in Customer Service who is one of the sweetest people I have ever talked to as a customer calling a sales dept. It's definitely old school customer service, very personal. I think the company is a small family-run outfit, so their web presence, etc. come across as a bit amateurish, but they put out a quality product at a price that puts the mall peacoats to shame and their heart is in the right place in terms of dealing with their customers.

8bpc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Maybe it depends on how "built" you are up top. I have relatively broad shoulders (39 chest) relative to my waist (29) with fairly pronounced delts, so I am always careful about shoulder fit. If you are not too sure, you might want to get 2 coats, one at your size (round down if you are a tweener like me) and one that's one size below that and see which fits well at the shoulders and arms. If you are going to layer underneath, you need to make sure you allow for that - otherwise you might feel like you have a torniquet around your armpits. Then return the one that doesn't fit as well.

Sterlingwear has superlative customer service, so it is a pleasure doing business with them and you should have no problem with the return, other than the cost of shipping of course.

So you rounded down to 38 chest for a coat size 40? Regular? How tall are you?

Do you stand by the suggestion to get normal size if you are slim and not "built"?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a 39 chest. I rounded down to 38 and since I am only 5'6", I ordered a 38S which is exactly my regular suit/sport coat size. If I was skinny, I might be tempted to order a 36S. Regardless, the authentic is boxy, which means the coat is vertical from shoulder waist without any waist suppression to speak of. You will probably have to tailor the sides in a bit if you want the coat to be fitted at the waist as well, especially if you have a good taper to your body. You might have to experiment with a couple of sizes to get it just right - those are the perils of online shopping unfortunately. It also depends I think on how tight a fit you want.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SJTrance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tedbearz
Anyone comment on the Sterlingwear peacoat vs Schott?

Why even bother with the imitators? The Schott Peacoat is very similar to the Sterlingwear Classic Peacoat. Just get the classic. It really depends on how warm and lined you want your peacoats to be. I am really considering getting an Authentic Peacoat in Navy now. I am so happy with the Mariner after owning it for a year.

anothergreenworld

Reaction score
This isn't exactly on topic...

I called up Sterlingwear today to order a Navigator and, I'm asking about the weight of wool and how all the colors aren't available in a virgin melton, and the representative tells me about their true military spec pea coat which is available for $220 and is not on the website. He tells me the wool is weaved differently and that it's much more resistant to wind and a bit more resistant to water. It's a 24oz virgin melton wool, it's got a black fleece lining and is usually kept in stock. The rep told me the color - Navy Blue - is a proprietary color and appears all black in most light but shows a tinge of dark navy in some light. That sounds typical, right. Anyway, he tells me the coat is just much more heavily constructed than their consumer Anchor line. Does anyone here have any experience with this version?

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds intriguing. I remember reading a single post a long time ago about Sterlingwear also stocking navy blue peacoats that they did not advertise on the (civilian) website. You may be onto something here. Take one for the team!
smile.gif

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anothergreenworld
This isn't exactly on topic...

I called up Sterlingwear today to order a Navigator and, I'm asking about the weight of wool and how all the colors aren't available in a virgin melton, and the representative tells me about their true military spec pea coat which is available for $220 and is not on the website. He tells me the wool is weaved differently and that it's much more resistant to wind and a bit more resistant to water. It's a 24oz virgin melton wool, it's got a black fleece lining and is usually kept in stock. The rep told me the color - Navy Blue - is a proprietary color and appears all black in most light but shows a tinge of dark navy in some light. That sounds typical, right. Anyway, he tells me the coat is just much more heavily constructed than their consumer Anchor line. Does anyone here have any experience with this version?

So is Sterlingwear saying that all their peacoats colored navy blue appear black to the eye or just that one in particular?

I'm aware that alot of peacoats (Sterlingwear and others) are navy blue but essentially appear black unless you really pay attention while looking at it in the sun.

This is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a peacoat I've already found. It fits me perfectly, I don't know the brand (it just says USN on the label), but it's dark navy blue (so basically black), whereas I want a more traditional navy blue color.

anothergreenworld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
So is Sterlingwear saying that all their peacoats colored navy blue appear black to the eye or just that one in particular?

I'm aware that alot of peacoats (Sterlingwear and others) are navy blue but essentially appear black unless you really pay attention while looking at it in the sun.

This is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a peacoat I've already found. It fits me perfectly, I don't know the brand (it just says USN on the label), but it's dark navy blue (so basically black), whereas I want a more traditional navy blue color.

The representative I spoke to said that this navy blue tinge in some light is not how their other coats are characterized and that the consumer navy blue appears navy blue in most situations.

If you check with Rakuten's store Jalana, I think they clearly show among other things a difference between the black and navy blue. Here, the Authentics on the left side of the page are black and navy blue. If you translate the page, the bottom left Authentic is navy blue. Both, however, are made up of the 80/20 wool/nylon melton blend.

Originally Posted by ahjota

Take one for the team!
smile.gif

I'll probably call back tomorrow or later this week to get more details but will be sure to update if and once I try the $220 version. Hopefully I'll get another rep and I can compare the notes. On other notes, everything else appears to be close to the Authentic in that there are framed slash pockets (forgot to ask what style of inside pockets), the vented back, convertible collar, six-button front with two buttons behind the collar. The only differences so far are the virgin melton, the weave/construction, the color and the price. When I asked what goes into the raise in price, the rep answered, " The construction and the weave of the wool. It's much more labor intensive."

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried one of these on or owns one? I was curious about how they fit and what size would be appropriate for a 40 inch chest size. If you own one could you post pictures? Thanks.
--Grad

gawkrodger

Reaction score
I too would be interested in feedback. Annopyingly, none of the Barbour stockists around me (and bear in mind I live in the UK so it's hradly a mission to find Barbour!) have 'em in.

Going off normal Barbour sizing I iamgine a small for you, I'm just concerned wether a small will be too big for myself (5ft10 38" 67kg)

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a Barbour Duracotton Parka and it exceeded my expectations. I ordered a small (I'm 6'0 155lbs) and it fits pretty much perfectly. Not too slim, but it also doesn't billow out at all either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads