MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. matthoang08

matthoang08 New Member

Hm, yeah i wrote that post pretty quick but you answered my question anyways so thanks a alot LA guy

2. 8bpc

8bpc Senior member

I am between chest sizes on Sterlingwear's size chart (chest 37), so as usually I would drop to the smaller size (coat size 38). I should still size down one coat size from that, to a coat size 36, correct?

3. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

I would, personally. It's going to be snug, but it will look good.

4. tedbearz

tedbearz Senior member

Is the Sterlingwear insulated?

5. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

Yes. Quite warm.

6. joel_954

joel_954 Senior member

I was at Burlington Coat Factory today and saw that they carry Schott peacoats.

7. Lawl.

Lawl. Active Member

8. dakine

dakine Active Member

Lost in VA, what jeans are those?

9. 8bpc

8bpc Senior member

What about sleeve length - the regular comes with an 18 inch sleeve (inside seam to hem) which seems a bit short. Measuring from my arm pit to 1st thumb knuckle it a few inches longer than that. Where should you measure from to determine the proper coat length so the arms fit? I know a few people mentioned the sleeves being just a little too short... so would a long coat be a better option?

10. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

a peacoat should really be a part of any well dressed man's wardrobe. I see some debate about which brand fits better and which detailing is better which is sort of silly because it's so subjective. Make sure it is WARM (the heavier the wool, the better IMO, if it is also smooth, that's a bonus) and it fits you well. Sized down sterlingwear would probably work for most ppl. But if you can afford it, go for something you like that may be more expensive. If it is the coat you want, you are going to keep it for a LONG TIME after all.

11. Robert

Robert Senior member

I would, personally. It's going to be snug, but it will look good.

Though keep in mind what you're likely to wear underneath. I tend tend to wear at least a medium-wt sweater under mine, sometimes a bulky zip-up. Does make a difference, so if you're going to do that, I'd recommend sticking with your regular size so there's a little give.

12. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Guys, remember that the Sterlingwear is *extremely* fitted around the shoulders with very high armholes. So if you size down too much, you might find it *very* constricting around the armpits. A better option may be to not size down too much from your regular jacket size and make absolutely sure that the shoulders and armpits fit just right, then have the coat tailored to bring in the sides. This can be done very easily - I just did it for mine.

13. 8bpc

8bpc Senior member

Interesting, so the Authentic is fitted around the shoulders and has very high armholes. If that were true, why all of the suggestions to size down? Wouldn't that result in a coat that wouldn't fit. I'm still wondering about the arm lengths since I've read a few posts that mention the arms being just a little too short.

14. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Maybe it depends on how "built" you are up top. I have relatively broad shoulders (39 chest) relative to my waist (29) with fairly pronounced delts, so I am always careful about shoulder fit. If you are not too sure, you might want to get 2 coats, one at your size (round down if you are a tweener like me) and one that's one size below that and see which fits well at the shoulders and arms. If you are going to layer underneath, you need to make sure you allow for that - otherwise you might feel like you have a torniquet around your armpits. Then return the one that doesn't fit as well.

Sterlingwear has superlative customer service, so it is a pleasure doing business with them and you should have no problem with the return, other than the cost of shipping of course.

15. raginberriodoom

raginberriodoom Senior member

^^^just to chip in about sterlingwear's service, they do offer great service, but you do have to call them cause they don't seem to answer emails. i exchanged a coat with them, and they even paid for my shipping!