• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Nuff said

Reaction score
Bananafish,

Looking at your photograph I would say you are pushing the envelope as far as alterations are concerned. The front of the skirt seems to overlap right around to the side of your leg and well over one of the pockets. In my opinion you cannot really alter this coat satisfactorily. I am no expert however so I would recommend checking with a tailor or your grandmother if she is experienced enough, as to whether or not it is worth doing.

danilo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
SHAD-MO34_V1-BIG.jpg

I picked up this one in black... it was like $150 with the coupon but cheaper in states other than CA b/c of no tax.

resurrecting an old thread... but anybody know where to get this coat! It's nice.

danilo

Reaction score
I saw those... although I think they are a bit pricey, and I don't see a huge difference between the barbour and buying a sterlingwear (other than the pockets in the front). I'm sure they are made well... although they're 70% wool and 30% polyamide (I don't know what that is). Here's a nice pic of the barbour
Hardy%20Worn.jpg

Arman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sauwan
If you want one "short" and fit correctly, you might try here:

http://www.armynavysales.com/Merchan...egory_Code=PEA

Those are used though, just FYI.

I picked up the classic pea coat last fall from burlington coat factory last year for about $80. I had apprehensions since it wasn't 100% wool, but is did nicely during the winter. I do need to pick up a nice scarf, I had no luck last year finding anything I liked and didn't want to buy something just to buy since I rarely stay out in the cold for more than 10 mins.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
umm check out my blog and look at the Spurr peacoat
smile.gif

ijung

Reaction score
Hmm. How much should a quality pea coat cost? I saw one at Zara for about 270, and one at Tommy Hilfiger for about 325. The TH fit me really well and I am considering buying it, but I noticed that the one's you guys are listing can range under 200. What do you guys think is a reasonable price for a good pea coat?

danilo

Reaction score
If it's a NORMAL looking Peacoat I'd get a sterlingwear peacoat... if it's a stylized version then you're paying more for the unique style. But if it's a standard looking peacoat I don't think you'll need much more quality than the US Navy standard quality peacoat (sterlingwear) and they go for $140 I think

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by danilo
I saw those... although I think they are a bit pricey, and I don't see a huge difference between the barbour and buying a sterlingwear (other than the pockets in the front). I'm sure they are made well... although they're 70% wool and 30% polyamide (I don't know what that is).

Here's a nice pic of the barbour
Hardy%20Worn.jpg

I have a nice BR one that's similar to that with the extra pockets. I think it's part cashmere. Haven't worn it much yet though.

Polyamide is Nylon. Pretty standard blend with wool.

boozingalcoholic

Reaction score
No kidding. I actually just got my Sterlingwear coat and I was really surprised about the quality and fit. For the price, you really can't beat it...My only complaints about the jacket it self is the rounded collars rather than the sharper looking collars.

I think everyone SHOULD at least check em out.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by danilo
resurrecting an old thread... but anybody know where to get this coat! It's nice.

I have this exact coat I'll sell to you if you want.

aaronxxx

Reaction score
i went to h&m and tried on their peacoat. it seemed like it was made well and had some nice accents. not bad for $130.

gawkrodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aaronxxx
i went to h&m and tried on their peacoat. it seemed like it was made well and had some nice accents. not bad for $130.

I live in the UK, but assume H&M sell the same peacoat in both countries.

If it is, I tried it on, and it's probably the best of all the high street stores in theUK, but that isn't saying much! The positive - it's was actually a really good fit on me. Negative - the wool was as rough as a badger's arse. The stupid little rivits on the epaulettes. Some of the stitching.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads