• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Danny Noonan

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a fidelity pea coat in a size 34. This is more of a general coat sizing question than anything. On the fidelity site it says the sleeve length (center of back, over shoulder, to sleeve bottom) is 34 inches, which is the same as my sleeve measurement. My question is, for an outer coat, would I want the sleeves to be a little longer, since I'll probably be wearing a shirt and sweater underneath? Size 36 only has a half inch difference (34.5) in sleeve length. I'd definitely need to get a 36 tailored in the body, but that'd be better than getting a coat with sleeves that don't look right.

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you guys think I should get a larger fit let me know and I'll post pics of the 38S.

My guess is a 38 would look better to my eye. From what I can tell from those photos it doesn't look unduly tight, but looks more like a blazer than a coat, but I suspect I like peacoats to fit looser than most here.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a Sterlingwear "spec" peacoat, and it arrived today.

It is definitely BLACK. And, it says so on the shipping papers.

I am 5' 7", waist 32, weigh 146 lbs.
p2p 18.5 inches

When I ordered, the sales person insisted that I should get the 40R "as they run slim" and "to allow for a sweater". So, I did.

With a sweater underneath, there is still plenty of room. Maybe, too much room. Wish I had a 38 to compare.

The sleeve length covers the the wrist

There is satin lining in the shoulders and sleeves.

The temp is in the upper 20s, and the coat is very warm. And, it is not stiff.

The body of the coat is lined with a smooth material. Not rough thinsulate quilting.

US Navy issue label?

Collar popped. Wearing a big shetland sweater. Plenty of room with freedom to move shoulders.

Last edited:

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sterlingwear regularly recommends sizing up one or two sizes. This recommendation is targeted at people who haven't kept in shape -- i.e. people with guts.

Read Peacoat's posts, and buy true to size. I'm guessing you should have gotten a 36R.

Last edited:

chill1217

Reaction score
thanks for the input. i exchanged my coat for a size up, and it feels much more comfortable. i like the look of the smaller peacoat better, but i decided it wasn't worth compromising the functionality of a winter coat in a cold, northeast winter.
To me it looks a tad too small, ideally IMO you should be able to fit a thick sweater underneath without restriction, but some people like wearing them on the small side - it's really up to you...

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

Reaction score
Another pea coat option, for those of you who are into military surplus, is the Russian pea coat or “bushlat”. They show up on eBay now and then, usually in good condition. They’re 100% wool, have ten shiny buttons, plain cuffs, horizontal pockets, epaulets, and are much shorter in length than the USN pea coats. The cloth is a military style wool, which means thin but dense (not thick and plush like civilian wool).

Here’s a photo of Russian sailors wearing the current version of the coat, plus a good photo of a coat lying flat. (the older version had 12 buttons and fake cuffs; I don’t know when they switched, but both versions show up on eBay). The following link provides sizing charts for Russian military clothing: http://spetsnaz.su/sizes/en/

Last edited:

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I ordered a Sterlingwear "spec" peacoat, and it arrived today.
It is definitely BLACK. And, it says so on the shipping papers.
I am 5' 7", waist 32, weigh 146 lbs.
p2p 18.5 inches
When I ordered, the sales person insisted that I should get the 40R "as they run slim" and "to allow for a sweater". So, I did.
With a sweater underneath, there is still plenty of room. Maybe, too much room. Wish I had a 38 to compare.
The sleeve length covers the the wrist
There is satin lining in the shoulders and sleeves.
The temp is in the upper 20s, and the coat is very warm. And, it is not stiff.

The body of the coat is lined with a smooth material. Not rough thinsulate quilting.

US Navy issue label?

Collar popped. Wearing a big shetland sweater. Plenty of room with freedom to move shoulders.

thanks for posting pics

it really looks more midnight navy than it does black

You would look much better in a 38R. Is it too late to exchange? :eh:

Last edited:

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks for posting pics

The picture makes the color look dark blue. But, trust me, it is black. I compared the color with my midnight blue duffel coat.
It is not too late to send back, and I am going to do so and get the 38R which should be spot on for the fit.

It is a great coat.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The picture makes the color look dark blue. But, trust me, it is black. I compared the color with my midnight blue duffel coat.
It is not too late to send back, and I am going to do so and get the 38R which should be spot on for the fit.
It is a great coat.

It doesn't look horrendously big - if you look at 50's photos they tended to be worn much looser than is the norm today, but I think a 38 will probably look better.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was just a brief hint of sun, so I ran outside to see the color in the natural light. In sunlight, there is just a hint of blue. But, it is black in "ordinary" light.

Before boxing it back up to send back for an exchange, I measured the p2p, and it is 21 inches (if I did it correctly.) This is for a 40R "spec" Sterlingwear.

FYI: There is a 15 day period for exchange.

I really like the deep pockets.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It doesn't look horrendously big - if you look at 50's photos they tended to be worn much looser than is the norm today, but I think a 38 will probably look better.

I agree about the vintage photos. The coat has got to be functional. I'm sure that the 38 will still have enough room and be just a tad better fitting.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

thanks for posting pics

Thanks for posting images of the lining and tags, as well as the fit. You saved everyone a bit of waiting and me a bit of work. For what it's worth, I think you should size down a size , but I think I'm going to be exceptional in preferring the 36S to the 38S for myself (I think, I took pictures and will post them as soon as I get done with some errands), so take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
36S front

36S side

38S front

38S side

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
36S front close up

36S side close up

38S front close up

38S side close up

Not the best close ups, but I was tired (hence the slump, it's really hard to stand up straight when you're keel over tired) and I was constantly explaining to my "photographer" how to take the pictures. A little less than ideal, but if you're willing to compare them to the other pics where I'm a bit more exposed they should prove useful. I hope.

Also, I'm wearing my sweater with all the coats. I compulsively put on long underwear bottoms as well. The sun was out. It was 72 inside. It was ******* brutal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads