• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
Got my 2 Specs. I think I'm keeping the 36S. I'll post pics of both the 36S and 38S to inform you good folks as well as take suggestions on fit.

Last edited:

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got my 2 Specs. I think I'm keeping the 36S. I'll post pics of both the 36S and 38S to inform you good folks as well as take suggestions on fit.

hey what is your chest measurement and how tall are you, champ? :eh:

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
5'6" and 39" pit to pit. If you're contemplating ordering you should wait for me to get some pics up. Also, I think I'm going to defer to the expertise of some of the members here on fit. I think I may be a bit too short in the arms, strangely enough. Anyhoo, will have pics up by tomorrow at the worst. Should have something up in the next 4 hours.

Last edited:

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

5'6" and 39" pit to pit. If you're contemplating ordering you should wait for me to get some pics up. Also, I think I'm going to defer to the expertise of some of the members here on fit. I think I may be a bit too short in the arms, strangely enough. Anyhoo, will have pics up by tomorrow at the worst. Should have something up in the next 4 hours.

wow you can fit a sweater underneath your 36S spec even though you have a 39inch chest? :eh:

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

wow you can fit a sweater underneath your 36S spec even though you have a 39inch chest? :eh:

It's a thin sweater. J. Crew 7-gauge lambswool. Small. Also, the thought that my measurement may be inaccurate did occur to me, but also if I'm not mistaken there are a few members here who have gone down 3 inches (or 2 sizes) in Sterlingwear's coat size based on their pit to pit measurement and achieved success. Also, I was hanging out with a friend and we got to talking about art and I lost track of time and now I'm really tired. But I'll have pics up for tomorrow.

Last edited:

chill1217

Reaction score
hi, looking for some advice on the fit of this peacoat

i am 5'8" 135 lb and got a j. crew peacoat in x-small. i am usually a small, but after reading through this thread decided to size down.

there is no tightness when i have my arms at my sides when wearing an undershirt + shirt. however, when i raise my arms above chest level the coat gets tight in the shoulder/bicep area.

i am worried that the coat is too small. should i size up?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hi, looking for some advice on the fit of this peacoat

i am 5'8" 135 lb and got a j. crew peacoat in x-small.  i am usually a small, but after reading through this thread decided to size down.

there is no tightness when i have my arms at my sides when wearing an undershirt + shirt.  however, when i raise my arms above chest level the coat gets tight in the shoulder/bicep area.

i am worried that the coat is too small.  should i size up?

To me it looks a tad too small, ideally IMO you should be able to fit a thick sweater underneath without restriction, but some people like wearing them on the small side - it's really up to you...

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have what might sound like a silly question - is it acceptable to wear a black peacoat with dark brown shoes? The shoes work with the rest of the outfit (dark grey slacks and mauve dress shirt) but don't seem to work that well with the peacoat...

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
Okay, here is the 36S Spec. I'm 5'6" and when I inhale I measure 39" ptp.

Please feel free to critique. Be brutal. Especially you, Peacoat. Yeah! You!

So far the fam thinks it's too small and it needs to be a little longer in the arms. That said, I looked at some reference pics being contemporary fashion spreads from the usual suspects of men's magazines and Robert Redford from 3 Days of the Condor. My conclusion from the fashion mags and runway pics is that there is a general tolerance for sleeves either going a little over your wrist or being right at it, that latter at which my sleeves appear to me to be at. My other conclusion is that maybe my immediate family seem to think a peacoat should fit how L.L. Bean says it should fit:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70786?feat=2-SR0&productId=1189149

Anyhoo, I'm able to hug myself. The arm holes dig in, but I don't feel the back restricting my movement. Once again, I can wear a J. Crew Lambswool raglan sweater beneath it, and do the same movement.

Also, please give me any tips on the photographs if they are less then ideal as well. I know I'm not trying to block and frame like Wong Kar Wai, but I also understand there are better ways to present a person wearing clothing.

If you guys think I should get a larger fit let me know and I'll post pics of the 38S.

Last edited:

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
Oh, and collar popped!

Peacoat

Reaction score
I normally don't critique peacoat fit, but since you asked . . . . It is hard to tell from the photographs about the fit of the torso, but if it feels good, and is not confining for you then it is a good fit. For myself, I wouldn't want it any tighter than what you have. I like my peacoats to fit a little looser, especially since I live in a climate where a sweater is often preferred. But it you live in a climate that doesn't require frequent layering, then it should be fine. Of course a peacoat that fits tighter often doesn't require a sweater at the same temperature as a looser fitting peacoat. The reason is the tight fit cuts down on the flow of cold air inside the coat, and puts the insulation closer to the torso, thus trapping air heated by the body and keeping it next to the body.

When you sized down, the sleeve length and body length also sized down. For me, I would like to have the coat a little longer in the body and the arms. A 36L is probably about the same length as a 38R. But if you like the length, then that is what matters, not someone else's opinion of what he likes to wear. When one sizes down, often the arms, armpits and shoulders will be a bit tight because the overall coat is sized down as well as the chest circumference. If these areas fit without binding, and the bit of shortness in the coat doesn't bother you, then I would say it is a good fit.

What I am interested in is the color of the shell. If you have a bright LED light, or have seen the coat in the bright of day, I would like to know if there is any blue in the fabric, or if it is pretty much solid black. The other day I looked at a current issue (1980) peacoat under a bright LED, and it was solid black. I would be interested to know if the color specification has changed over the years. Although I will say the color looks a little blue in the pictures, but that may be the camera and not the color of the coat.

Also, what type of liner does it have? And what is the weight of the coat?

I was going to ask you how you liked the construction and overall quality, but with it being a Sterlingwear, I think I know the answer--very good and high quality.

Edit Note: I just now saw you got the 36S and the 38S. Yes, I would like to see pics of the 38S. If you decide you like the torso fit of the 36S, you might consider a 36R, which would give a little more length in the sleeves and overall length. But go ahead and post the 38S so we can see how it fits. If you stand closer to the mirror, or get a friend to take the pics, we could get a better idea of the size.

Last edited:

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

I normally don't critique peacoat fit, but since you asked . . . . It is hard to tell from the photographs about the fit of the torso, but if it feels good, and is not confining for you then it is a good fit. For myself, I wouldn't want it any tighter than what you have. I like my peacoats to fit a little looser, especially since I live in a climate where a sweater is often preferred. But it you live in a climate that doesn't require frequent layering, then it should be fine. Of course a peacoat that fits tighter often doesn't require a sweater at the same temperature as a looser fitting peacoat. The reason is the tight fit cuts down on the flow of cold air inside the coat, and puts the insulation closer to the torso, thus trapping air heated by the body and keeping it next to the body.
When you sized down, the sleeve length and body length also sized down. For me, I would like to have the coat a little longer in the body and the arms. A 36L is probably about the same length as a 38R. But if you like the length, then that is what matters, not someone else's opinion of what he likes to wear. When one sizes down, often the arms, armpits and shoulders will be a bit tight because the overall coat is sized down as well as the chest circumference. If these areas fit without binding, and the bit of shortness in the coat doesn't bother you, then I would say it is a good fit.
What I am interested in is the color of the shell. If you have a bright LED light, or have seen the coat in the bright of day, I would like to know if there is any blue in the fabric, or if it is pretty much solid black. The other day I looked at a current issue (1980) peacoat under a bright LED, and it was solid black. I would be interested to know if the color specification has changed over the years. Although I will say the color looks a little blue in the pictures, but that may be the camera and not the color of the coat.
Also, what type of liner does it have? And what is the weight of the coat?
I was going to ask you how you liked the construction and overall quality, but with it being a Sterlingwear, I think I know the answer--very good and high quality.
Edit Note: I just now saw you got the 36S and the 38S. Yes, I would like to see pics of the 38S. If you decide you like the torso fit of the 36S, you might consider a 36R, which would give a little more length in the sleeves and overall length. But go ahead and post the 38S so we can see how it fits. If you stand closer to the mirror, or get a friend to take the pics, we could get a better idea of the size.

Thanks Peacoat.

And yes, I'm thinking the same thing about the sleeve length. An extra inch couldn't hurt in the style department and it could only help in the utility department. Unfortunately, I think if I were to get an R, it'd add an extra 2 inches to the length of the coats body which I don't think would work.

As for the color, the LED thing I can't answer that right now. I think I might have an LED flashlight with neutral LEDs (as far as I can tell) but I'm not sure where it is. I'll look later. For what it's worth, I think it's a really dark blue but I'll double check tomorrow when there is more natural light out in the instance I can't find an LED flashlight.

I can't find a tag that states the materials used but if I had to guess I'd guess that the liner is nylon. As for the weight, I won't be able to figure that out til I'm set on a coat. I don't want to find out Sterlingwear won't accept my return because I got cat hair on it tossing it around the house. As soon as I make a choice, I'll get that info for you folks and take some Rakuten style "check out this coat's liner" and "check out this coats shoulders" type pics. Weight seems close to 10lbs, but I'm not sure about that either.

I'll see if I can get some assistance with pics and have something up by tomorrow for the 38S. I'll try to get the 36S photographed as well.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay, here is the 36S Spec. I'm 5'6" and when I inhale I measure 39" ptp.
Please feel free to critique. Be brutal. Especially you, Peacoat. Yeah! You!
So far the fam thinks it's too small and it needs to be a little longer in the arms. That said, I looked at some reference pics being contemporary fashion spreads from the usual suspects of men's magazines and Robert Redford from 3 Days of the Condor. My conclusion from the fashion mags and runway pics is that there is a general tolerance for sleeves either going a little over your wrist or being right at it, that latter at which my sleeves appear to me to be at. My other conclusion is that maybe my immediate family seem to think a peacoat should fit how L.L. Bean says it should fit:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70786?feat=2-SR0&productId=1189149
Anyhoo, I'm able to hug myself. The arm holes dig in, but I don't feel the back restricting my movement. Once again, I can wear a J. Crew Lambswool raglan sweater beneath it, and do the same movement.
Also, please give me any tips on the photographs if they are less then ideal as well. I know I'm not trying to block and frame like Wong Kar Wai, but I also understand there are better ways to present a person wearing clothing.

If you guys think I should get a larger fit let me know and I'll post pics of the 38S.

I wouldn't listen to LL bean unless YOU like the fit on their models. I know I don't.

what does your chest naturally measure at when you aren't fully inhaling?

could you show us a photo of your peacoat fit when you're wearing a j.crew sweater underneath?

Does your coat come with a full FLEECE lining inside? Can you take photos of it?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads