• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Contango

Reaction score
Still waiting for my MTO burgundy shell cordovans...

They got back to me and said the following

Now on the 11th day today hahaha. Sent them another follow up strongly worded email.

These were due to arrive in September, safe to say I'll never do a Meermin MTO again.
I wonder if it will be a left or right shoe tree?

boot_owl

Reaction score

Now on the 11th day today hahaha. Sent them another follow up strongly worded email.

These were due to arrive in September, safe to say I'll never do a Meermin MTO again.

Think about it like this: shell can be a real pain to work with. They deemed the first pair to be unacceptable for a customer, so decided to remake and compensate you.

Some companies (even more expensive ones) would probably just send you a crappy pair on time and wash their hands of it.

shotsmcgee

Reaction score
Think about it like this: shell can be a real pain to work with. They deemed the first pair to be unacceptable for a customer, so decided to remake and compensate you.

Some companies (even more expensive ones) would probably just send you a crappy pair on time and wash their hands of it.
Yeah actually that makes sense, just have to be patient I suppose.

Coffandcig

Reaction score

The delay is probably you getting actual shell.

Coffandcig

Reaction score

A video that many of you should watch

Your shoes are better than Meermin; I own the Magnolia. Why are you schilling for them? They sent me horserump and not shell cordovan. That's fraud. I went on a buying binge and bought 5 pairs of Meermin prior to the service boot. I've actually worn them for months and not just an unboxing. They are a value but not comfortable.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Relevant point you can't expect $600 quality at $200. For me being EEE and high instep I can't be remotely sure if anything they make will fit. Its' better now that they are allowing returns from NY/NJ so I may give them a try. Probably Hiro wide or maybe HOK as those seem to be the widest they make.

From what I've read on this thread over the past year or two is that primarily QC isn't consistent so you may get a pretty good shoe or you may get one with a fair number of flaws. This reminds me of Allen Edmonds 2nds, sometimes there are significant flaws and sometimes you get a pretty good shoe mostly in the $150-$200 range.

As to Chinese manufacture I completely agree, Grant Stone has shown me you can have a shoe fully made in China with excellent materials, QC and quality.

Webbo

Reaction score
Just to throw in my thoughts. I have just received the unlined suede Chukka on the HOK last. It’s really a beautiful shoe, absolutely worth the money and more. Sadly the HOK fits me a little large, I am between a 10 UK 10.5 in most shoes, the HOK for me is absolutely a bigger fit than their other lasts. I’ve gone 10.5 and 10 would have been good. Now need to decide what to do with them but ultimately having these, the unlined loafer and a pair of suede Chelsea boots from Meermin I can honestly say they are tremendous value for money in my opinion.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Your shoes are better than Meermin; I own the Magnolia. Why are you schilling for them? They sent me horserump and not shell cordovan. That's fraud. I went on a buying binge and bought 5 pairs of Meermin prior to the service boot. I've actually worn them for months and not just an unboxing. They are a value but not comfortable.

Thank for the support and glad that you like my shoes. I do appreciate it. I am not schilling for them at all. I am simply doing my job as the 'The Shoe Snob'. What you stated is exactly what I am saying, that they should not be compared to shoes twice or three times their price but for $200 they are a hell of a lot better than anything else you can buy at that price at your traditional stores. that's my point. But judging them against other, better, more expensive shoes is a mistake, but that is what a lot of people do. Their shell will be shell. But it won't be Horween and won't be top quality.

Relevant point you can't expect $600 quality at $200. For me being EEE and high instep I can't be remotely sure if anything they make will fit. Its' better now that they are allowing returns from NY/NJ so I may give them a try. Probably Hiro wide or maybe HOK as those seem to be the widest they make.

From what I've read on this thread over the past year or two is that primarily QC isn't consistent so you may get a pretty good shoe or you may get one with a fair number of flaws. This reminds me of Allen Edmonds 2nds, sometimes there are significant flaws and sometimes you get a pretty good shoe mostly in the $150-$200 range.

As to Chinese manufacture I completely agree, Grant Stone has shown me you can have a shoe fully made in China with excellent materials, QC and quality.

Thanks for sharing!

jayvee

Reaction score
Is this the first time that Meermin releases the current NST Boots that are in MTO right now? I kind of remember seeing them before but I haven't seen photos of any owner.

My only experience with Meermin is with the Hiro last on a double monk, which found to be true to size and the only info I found about Hok last is I should be fine with the same size for use with thicker socks but I was wondering if someone else already has experience with how the Hok last compares to others.

Edit: I had my UK conversion wrong, actually my Hiro shoes are half size down than my Brannock not true to size.

Now that I read a few pages back it seems I should go down half size from Hiro (1 full size from Brannock) but I am not sure if that would be for thin or thick socks.

They did the shell NST boot as a MTO about a month ago? And now it’s back. I’ve ordered a pair in this current batch, would be interested to see if anyone gets theirs from the 1st batch.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
They did the shell NST boot as a MTO about a month ago? And now it’s back. I’ve ordered a pair in this current batch, would be interested to see if anyone gets theirs from the 1st batch.
Did you go for the cordovan?

I’m sorely tempted as like the HOK last and damn they’re great value..

New Trickers cordovan arrived though...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 203

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those that didn’t want to take the time to watch his video, I’ll sum it up for you.
If you are buying these shoes and not appreciating the fact of what you are getting for sub $200, you are a fool. Same goes for the shell purchases.

I’ve got many, many, many shoes, including shell from a wide array of makers. Meermin’s shoes do not measure up to the greats, but are an exceptional value. I am very pleased with all of my Meermin shoes, and absolutely love the shell examples from them I own. I continue to purchase them, particularly their shearling offerings, because they are awesome and continue to serve me well.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Meermin best bang for your bucks doesn't come from their entry level line but from the Maestro line with better quality leather, "handmade", JR soles, etc. At 300 usd you won't find that anywhere. At 200 usd I gave a shot to skolyx proprietary brand which is similar to Meermin but made in Mallorca. So far at 200usd, it is a very very good alternative with a leather heel cup that is actually going to break not like plastic ... The longwing leather is from the french tannery Du Puy for example.

So far I have two pairs of suede from Meermin. Chelsea boots and some loafers. I had no real problem of overstiffness.The suede is way looser after 10 wears. I had to add an insole to compensate on the chelseas.

The problem right now with Meermin is the US price. A pair of oxford is 195 usd + 15usd shipping + tax. Its very close to shoes online from Europe like Herring, Carlos Santos, Yanko, etc.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meermin best bang for your bucks doesn't come from their entry level line but from the Maestro line with better quality leather, "handmade", JR soles, etc. At 300 usd you won't find that anywhere.
This is also true. Full disclosure, I own some of their maestro line, and even their maestro line sometimes do have issues. But, again the value they offer for what one is getting is really the key takeaway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads