• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 6: Todd Shelton Gift certificate courtesy of Todd Shelton

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a $500 gift certificate Todd Shelton Gift certificate courtesy of Todd Shelton Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Skelnik

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback. Do you happen to also have any hiro lasted shoes as well? If yes what size do you wear in the hiro last?
Not any longer but I did have a pair of boots that were Hiro lasted and those I wore an 8E. So for the HOK I took a half size down from Hiro.

Darkkp

Reaction score
Not any longer but I did have a pair of boots that were Hiro lasted and those I wore an 8E. So for the HOK I took a half size down from Hiro.
Did you size down to wear thinner socks, or do you wear thick socks with the Hok last?

mux8

Reaction score
For those interested.
I fit in a HIRO 7.5uk. I had to size down to 7 in the RUI last. Breakin has been painful on the top part of my feet. I think it's slowly breaking in and stretching out.

Hamiste

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
in case it may help, I'm :
8 in Hiro (7,5 is really too just for me)
7 or 7,5 in Rui (my pair of boot are OK in 7 but I could never fit properly in the shoes. So I guess I'l a 7,25 in that last)
7 in Hok (perfect)
7,5 in Ron (really just but it's OK.
7,5 in Olfe (too tight at the beginning but perfect after breaking in period).
I also have the other last and even a woman one but I don't remember very well what the sizing feels like.
Regards everyone.

iva80

Reaction score
Are 7UK HOK wider than your 7UK Rui? Especially towards the toe...
Thank yoy

aPaleDragon

Reaction score
Hey guys, how did Meermins break in for you? I come from Red Wings and I never considered them particulary hard to break in. No blisters, no discomfort. However, this is day three for me on my Meermins and the forepart of my knees are bleeding. The tongue cuts so deep into my knees that I lost a chunk of flesh. Also very sore heels/blisters (which is not really a problem though, my pain threshold is quite high). I've already loosened the laces as far as possible and bandaged up but on day 3 the leather still didn't give a quarter. I'm also wearing the thickest sock I have which I normally don't fetch if it isn't -10° outside.

Sizing is absolutely fine (as mentioned above it's not my first pair of GYW) but the leather feels like steel. I've never owned any boot before that was so stiff. And we are talking "dress leather" with Meermins...

It's black calf and this is actually the first time I feel that this can't be right.

Any ideas / experience?

lemmy127

Reaction score
Hey guys, how did Meermins break in for you? I come from Red Wings and I never considered them particulary hard to break in. No blisters, no discomfort. However, this is day three for me on my Meermins and the forepart of my knees are bleeding. The tongue cuts so deep into my knees that I lost a chunk of flesh. Also very sore heels/blisters (which is not really a problem though, my pain threshold is quite high). I've already loosened the laces as far as possible and bandaged up but on day 3 the leather still didn't give a quarter. I'm also wearing the thickest sock I have which I normally don't fetch if it isn't -10° outside.

Sizing is absolutely fine (as mentioned above it's not my first pair of GYW) but the leather feels like steel. I've never owned any boot before that was so stiff. And we are talking "dress leather" with Meermins...

It's black calf and this is actually the first time I feel that this can't be right.

Any ideas / experience?
Did you mean toes?

Also, yes, this has been my experience with Meermin break in as well... doesn't matter which shoe or boot, I always end up with extremely tender, if not blistered, heels. I've yet to power through til they've been comfortable. I've always ended up selling the pair off before that happens (if it was going to happen). I want to try one of their loafers, but I can't bare the thought of subjecting my feet to that torture without socks. For what it's worth, all of them were either Hiro or Elton last.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought more softcalf and some unlined suede loafers recently. The softcalf is true to its name and like wearing socks (@Riva disagrees and finds them very hard-soled). The suede is a bit harder but still broke in within half an hour.

Neither are anything like my older monks which despite hundreds of wears by now still retain steel-like heels and toecaps. Perhaps the thermoplastic heel cup is particularly high and the leather particularly thick. I don't necessarily mind - certainly they take to a shine much more readily than the softcalk - but also avoid them on days I'll stand a lot.

aPaleDragon

Reaction score
Did you mean toes?
Nope, I mean the front part of your knee where the upper of the tongue rests. Whole construction is so stiff that I lost a chunk on both knees. My heels are sore and bloody as well. I will give them a few more days. Found a pendant to this forum in Germany where people actually confirmed that the leather was like steel for them as well (and never got much better). That makes me a bit sad, since Red Wings will get buttery soft after a while. :)

Coffandcig

Reaction score

Any ideas / experience?
This is going to sound extremely odd but get them wet. Wear them in the rain, pour water on them or wash them with a washcloth. I don't know why but they'll soften up much, much faster after water cleans off whatever they put on the outside.

Crafty Cumbrian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, I mean the front part of your knee where the upper of the tongue rests. Whole construction is so stiff that I lost a chunk on both knees. My heels are sore and bloody as well. I will give them a few more days. Found a pendant to this forum in Germany where people actually confirmed that the leather was like steel for them as well (and never got much better). That makes me a bit sad, since Red Wings will get buttery soft after a while. :)
Knee??

Don’t you mean shin? If they’re rubbing your knees you may have more serious anatomical issues..

On a serious note, the leather seems to be harsh on most reviews. I have only the cordovan and find them fine.

aPaleDragon

Reaction score
Knee??

Don’t you mean shin? If they’re rubbing your knees you may have more serious anatomical issues..

On a serious note, the leather seems to be harsh on most reviews. I have only the cordovan and find them fine.
Yes, you are right, shin was the word I was looking for (not my first language). Dunno, that's actually the first time that I have an issue with the tongue. I don't think the uppers are the problem but the lining which is insanely hard.

Thanks for the tip with the rain! I also ordered some conditioner especially for dress leather, maybe that helps a bit.

Crafty Cumbrian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are right, shin was the word I was looking for (not my first language). Dunno, that's actually the first time that I have an issue with the tongue. I don't think the uppers are the problem but the lining which is insanely hard.

Thanks for the tip with the rain! I also ordered some conditioner especially for dress leather, maybe that helps a bit.
Good bit of conditioning will help.

According to their website they only use premium leathers so seems odd how they seem to have harder break in than other brands?

I’ve a pair of sanders boots I thought would never soften but a bit of walking and they did.

Good luck sir.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 138 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 260 32.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 125 15.8%