• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hiver

Reaction score
Gorgeous! Will order the same, based on your pics. Please let us know how they handle rainy streets.. Cheers, M
Newly received Meermin 101482 in Tan country calf, Hiro-last made on double Dainite-sole, which I will use on rainy days during spring, summer and fall. A bunch of pics:

I also took some last comparison pics with the Hiro and some more or less similar lasts, since I know people often find it interesting. All in size UK10/EU44.

From left: Vass F-last, Loake Capital, Meermin Hiro, Crockett & Jones 236, John Lobb 7000:

Yowzer

Reaction score
Thanks for the line up shots. Am very interested in knowing how the Hiro compares to the Loake Capital. It seems the Capital is wider at the ball and toes, would that be right? Which fits more snug?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks good. How much were you charged for the lasted trees? They seem worth an extra cost.

Also curious. I'm considering some Meermins MTO since none of their normal sizes will fit my fat feet, and would love to get lasted trees if they aren't obscene.

Edit: I see this was answered, I missed it. My fault!

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also curious. I'm considering some Meermins MTO since none of their normal sizes will fit my fat feet, and would love to get lasted trees if they aren't obscene.

Edit: I see this was answered, I missed it. My fault!
Not even the Ama last? That last is huge (I have a pair of wholecuts) and I think it's listed as E+.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Newly received Meermin 101482 in Tan country calf, Hiro-last made on double Dainite-sole, which I will use on rainy days during spring, summer and fall. A bunch of pics:

Very nice. Please let us know how they hold up, as I'm interested on that model (and the Dainite sole longwing) too. Need some nice shoes with rubber soles for rainy days, and also for walking long distances (the Hiro last is extremely comfortable for me).

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not even the Ama last? That last is huge (I have a pair of wholecuts) and I think it's listed as E+.

I'd imagine one of their wider lasts would indeed work for me, but so far as I can tell, very little comes in those wider lasts. Basically, just the gunboats.

If their shoes came in wide sizes, I'd buy several of them right now.

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gorgeous! Will order the same, based on your pics. Please let us know how they handle rainy streets..

Cheers, M

Thanks for the line up shots. Am very interested in knowing how the Hiro compares to the Loake Capital. It seems the Capital is wider at the ball and toes, would that be right? Which fits more snug? 

Very nice. Please let us know how they hold up, as I'm interested on that model (and the Dainite sole longwing) too. Need some nice shoes with rubber soles for rainy days, and also for walking long distances (the Hiro last is extremely comfortable for me).

Thanks guys!

Yowser: Yes, Capital is a big last, they run a bit large and is wide over the ball. Hiro is both shorter and more snug, I'd say Hiro runs pretty true to size.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

MTO

wFQSiLRh.jpg

tidy!

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's bring this back around. I'm interested in getting these made.

The EG Olney in Blue or Clove Suede if Meermin can source it.

Any interest? Oh and Terrorsquad, forgot to ask if you can run it!!!

Sure, it looks interesting
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
lets discuss the details via email ([email protected]). I think a navy/blue suede would fit nicely next to my navy French Oxford Vass.

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terrorsquad, as I read that you own shoes on the Olfe, Hiro and Ama Last, I would appreciate if you could tell me something about the sizing.

I own the Ama wholecut in UK 10 and they fit surprisingly well, especially considering my rather high instep (as additional info here are my foot dimensions:
Length 281mm, Ball girth 270mm, Ball width 115mm, Heel width 82mm, Instep girth 275mm, Heel girth 373mm; based on measurements for sizeadvisors.com). I wonder if I would also be ok with the Hiro last in UK 10 or even with the Olfe last. But I fear that at least the Olfe last will be too narrow already. Could you help me with that and/or give me insights into the main differences between the lasts?

Thank you very much in advance!
So sorry man, just noticed this. Can I send you a PM later; would need to type a long reply
smile.gif
But for a short answer, I personally think you may need to size up for Hiro/Olfe.

Subutai

Reaction score

I haven't heard back from Meermin for 18 days in regards to a pending order (which includes a courtesy follow-up email)... probably not placing any more orders... :confused:

I never heard back either. I lost count of the days/weeks. Seems as though there are positives and negatives to Meermin, but they matter less when I can't get a response. Ended up buying Shell Cordovan PTBs from Alden instead and couldn't be happier

sean anon

Reaction score
Just got a test pair of the regular line in the Hiro last

They suggested I size down to a 9.5.  I wear a 10.5 D in shoes like AE

They seem to be a little snug in the toe box but I have never worn European shoes this shape.  They were not uncomfortable and I am inclined to think a perfect fit but I can walk around in these all day. Is this expected in a narrow chiseled (at least more than I am used to) shoe?  They seem long enough

Last edited:

Bureaucrat

Reaction score
I should be getting my hands on my own pair soon. I ordered DB monks in black calf a few weeks ago, and they said it would be around 30 days for them to make them. Well, Sandro e-mailed me on the weekend with an paypal invoice, and got a confirmation of payment on Monday. It should take about 7 days for them to send them out, and another week for the parcel to arrive. I must admit I'm a bit worried, when obviously many of you have had problems in this category. Let's hope for the best, and pics are sure to come if they arrive!

Robert

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads