• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my double monks from Meermin and was disappointed.

The heel is uneven with the upper sole, which makes the shoes uncomfortable to walk with.
When stand leaning on the upper sole, only the top portion of the heel touches the ground.
When I lean towards the back, the upper sole is a full half inch above the ground!

This has caused me several slips on pavements, as the soles does not completely grip the ground when I walk.

If it helps, all my Vass have the same thing

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Carminas too. You guys are getting a bit too paranoid about the QC issues and seem prone to find defects where there are none. I'm not denying the issues, as they are undoubtedly present, but this is a bit too much...

Your shoes are perfectly fine, TrackerB. Slippage problems will likely disappear when the sole wears in a little. Enjoy them in good health.

Last edited:

TrackerB

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm not paranoid about the QC from Meermin and do find them a great value for money.
I've got 6 pairs so far. Some have uneven stitching, or uneven tongues, etc and I'm fine with that.

I'm just concerned about the durability and comfort. I checked my other 5 pairs of Meermins and the heel and upper sole were even, except for this pair.
Hence, my concern.

I thought about topying/vibraming the upper sole to thicken it, making it even. But this pair has metal toe caps, which kinda defeats the purpose.

If you guys reckon that it will even out over more wears, then I'm fine with it.
Thanks for the assurance guys :)

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm so tired of reading about people's "disappointments" with "major defects" on their new Meermins, and then showing pics of a heel not fully touching ground (like stated, something that's found at many, many makers), creases that's just totally normal (yes, leather shoes actually DO crease when worn, buy suede shoesor fabric sneakers if you don't like it), sole color on uppers (found on everything from my Loakes to my Gaziano & Girling to my bespoke), small gap were the welt meet (found on many, many makers shoes) and so on. It's getting a bit ridiculous actually, especially since we are talking about budget shoes at very affordable prices.

And yes, I do know that there has been some real issues, but they are as I've experienced it a minority.

I just received a pair of punched cap toes in scotch grain with Dainite soles from the classic line. They are great. Some of you would probably have posted tons of pics with "major defects" by now though, but to me, they are great. They are cheap bench made shoes. And us such, they are great.

TrackerB

Reaction score
I'm so tired of reading about people's "disappointments" with "major defects" on their new Meermins, and then showing pics of a heel not fully touching ground (like stated, something that's found at many, many makers), creases that's just totally normal (yes, leather shoes actually DO crease when worn, buy suede shoesor fabric sneakers if you don't like it), sole color on uppers (found on everything from my Loakes to my Gaziano & Girling to my bespoke), small gap were the welt meet (found on many, many makers shoes) and so on. It's getting a bit ridiculous actually, especially since we are talking about budget shoes at very affordable prices.

And yes, I do know that there has been some real issues, but they are as I've experienced it a minority.

I just received a pair of punched cap toes in scotch grain with Dainite soles from the classic line. They are great. Some of you would probably have posted tons of pics with "major defects" by now though, but to me, they are great. They are cheap bench made shoes. And us such, they are great.

Well, some are legitimate while some exaggerated.

Like I said, I've ordered 6 pairs from Meermin, and only this pair had this issue.
Naturally, it occurred to me that this is not normal and I seeked to clarify this. As I said, scratches/uneven stitching, etc does not bother me. It is the durability and comfort that I was concerned with.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked my other 5 pairs of Meermins and the heel and upper sole were even, except for this pair.

Weird. Maybe it's because they're new? Though my oldest pair of Carminas is still uneven...

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are cheap bench made shoes. And us such, they are great.

Classic line shoes are generally cheap (try selling $200+ shoes to the average person as cheap, but i digress).

LM, with shipping, customs duty, and potential MTO start creeping into the not so cheap range if you ask me.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure that if you can see the welt stitch for almost the whole forepart of the shoe that's a legitimate cause for complaint. Its going to allow abrasives to get between the upper and the sole and in pretty shot order those shoes will be fucked. With regard to creases, as previously stated, I don't have a problem with my shoes creasing, I have a problem with them creasing in places they shouldn't and to an excessive degree after one wear! As to them being budget, the museum MTO cost about the same as a pair of C&J, Cheaney or AS. Not everyone considers everything below G&G a budget shoe

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Classic line shoes are generally cheap (try selling $200+ shoes to the average person as cheap, but i digress).

LM, with shipping, customs duty, and potential MTO start creeping into the not so cheap range if you ask me.

+1

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well everything is relative of course, but since on this forum we don't discuss crocs and stuff that are cheap for real, but only quality shoes in some sense. As such, Meermin are cheap, especially the classic line but also LM, 260€ still is in the lower parts of the price range for good quality shoes. The fact that shipping and possible customs can occur is irrelevant, since their not part of the cost that Meermin takes for production.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Whatever happened with the dude who was charged exorbitant customs fees ($130 or something)? Was it resolved? Did I miss it?

I'm curious as well. I've got a $150 bill from FedEx for a single pair of Meermins

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some pics of my museum MTO and lasted shoe trees. Shoes have been worn a number of time (I believe 8-10 times)

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good. How much were you charged for the lasted trees? They seem worth an extra cost.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads