1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

These look far from "dead"

If you do not think you will ever resole then glue em.

if you think resoling is an option. (In my city its like $50 USD) and these are really bothering you a lot you could buy two needles and YouTube how to do a lockstitch on leather and just go over the holes that are already their. As long as you are careful I think it would work out fine.

* EDIT lock stitch may be the wrong word you want the two needle stiching technique:
    http://www.handsewnleather.com/info/hand_sewn.html
    Similar to what this man is doing at 1hour and 11min in

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

edit: wrong thread.

3. arepaberry

arepaberry Well-Known Member

Between Orlando, Miami, Cali Colombia, and Caracas
    The more I read into this thread, the more I like it and thinking about something. My family has been in the importing/exporting goods business for over 30 years, we have an office in Miami, FL. I was thinking perhaps they could handle the shipment so we dont get kicked in the ass by fedex and so on.If anyone is interested let me know. I'm ordering the Balmoral boots and another pair.

4. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

Are you getting the black shell balmoral boots? Or are you getting some other personal MTO version?

Their is an MTO that is running now for dark brown shell cordovan balmoral's on Hiro OR Olfe. It has been approved by Pepe but Pepe has not yet sent out the bills so you could get on that if you want.

5. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

How could you avoid customs?
    The customs issues are at the meermin end I believe. Fedex is not at fault. Since Meermin marks the goods as leather products they get like ~8% charge.

(Meermin lawfully must mark the goods this way. So I cant get to mad at them either. The only way to make it work would be to have someone in US buy them sans-VAT and then have someone in spain pick them up and ship them as gifts.)

6. arepaberry

arepaberry Well-Known Member

Between Orlando, Miami, Cali Colombia, and Caracas
    Just the regular ones, these are my very first "high end, but not so high end" shoes that I get. I don't think it would be wise to get MTO when I'm not completely sure of their sizing. The only reason why I haven't ordered them its because of all the brokerage fees and whatnot, I'm in the US for a couple of weeks, just not in Miami, I guess tomorrow I will be calling the family and see if they can work on that.

I could also do that, got family over there. Funny thing is that I have ordered shoes before from the UK, a pair of alfred sargent chelsea boots and I never got charged with any kind of fees on those.

7. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

8. stevent

stevent Senior member

8.5% is pretty reasonable I don't get how this is such a big deal. It's less than freaking sales tax for me. You are importing a product into the US, so you pay the duty. Do you guys ship your stuff to Oregon to avoid sales tax too? I don't see how it would be worthwhile for someone in Spain to go ship something for you. Cost will be the same / higher and it will take 5-20+ days longer and you still have some small chance of customs from USPS. And what happens when Correros loses your package. Who's out the money? And given my personal experiences with Correros, I would gladly pay Fedex.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/328145/...ational-shipping-questions-and-stories-thread might be a good read

9. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

8.5% gets to be expensive when you are looking at $500 shoes. But yea you are mostly right that its just the cost of doing business and not much can be done about it.

10. stevent

stevent Senior member

Rate is set rate, it doesn't get more expensive if shoe is $500? If it's expensive and you are buying $500 shoes, then maybe you shouldn't be buying shoes at this cost?

11. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

Rate is not rate. It does not scale linearly. Their is an cut off point where it be comes cheaper to circumvent the customs if you can.

If I have an $1000 item taxes are going to be $85.
    So I knew a way to circumvent the customs charge that only costs me $50 (i.e. someone will be shipping me them as a gift). I save $35.

However for our small orders this is I AGREE it is pointless. Most people are not really worried about the cost so much as the mind game of trying to get around an payment that we feel is unjust. Its kinda like coupons. People will spend hours searching for $10 off. Its an rush. And its nonsensical.

But if you could do this in bulk it would have benefits.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  12. SRichard

SRichard Active Member

Can anyone make a sizing recommendation on the Hiro last?

I'm in Australia & looking to get a pair of the plain cap-toe oxfords in the Hiro last...I don't have an opportunity to try them on but also don't have any similar shoes to compare to...

I'm a 10.5-11 in a Nike, a 10 in my Wolverine 1000 mile boots, & a 9.5UK/43.5 or 44 in my Clarks desert boots...

Can anyone make a recommendation? I've done a bit of reading & searching but am a bit confused at the moment

13. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

With those as your only comparisons I am pretty sure you will be screwed. Mostly b/c those are all blobby lasts.

Meemin generally makes sleeker lasts. And so sizing the width is more important.

If you are willing to take the plunge (Which may be reckless) you could go an ask meermin for the physical sizing of the lasts and try to size up that way. But you may end up with 1-2 retries you will have to go through.

Do any other fine shoe makers exist in the AU? Get sized by them and then compare your sizing their to that here.

14. SRichard

SRichard Active Member

hmmm i see...seems the only option.

there's a few here that have c&j's & loake....sounds like i might need to give that a crack. any particular brand/last you think i should prioritise to try?

the only other shoes i can find are a pair of sebago/filson co-labs in a 9.5d if that helps

thanks for your help

15. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

c&j's & loake seem like good starting places. I am sure someone here will may be able to help you if you know your size in either. I am not familiar with either.

16. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Question, I stepped out in the rain in my Meermin cap toe and they are leather sole. The sole got really wet, and is still damp. Should I worry about damage to the sole or it seeping into the insole? It is just the sole where I step the most that is the dampest currently. Been letting them dry out in a cool area of my home and do not plan on wearing again until 1) they are completely dry and 2) it is not as wet outside

i think it is time for a brown rubber sole boot... i want something in pebbled leather

17. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

The sole is fine just let them dry naturally, would also be a good idea to put some shoe trees in them. Feels like it buckets down every time I wear my meermin brown captoes but they are still going strong and no leaking etc. Saphir renovater and a fine layer of polish keeps them looking sharp.

18. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Theres a lot of comparisons of Loake of Meermins in this thread and theres plenty of Australian members who could also provide a comparison in the Aussie thread so I would start with those. For what its worth im an 8 in the Loake Aldwych and Churchill and whilst I can just squeeze into a Hiro size 8, 8.5 is optimal.

19. wurger

wurger Senior member

decided to try to Meermin finally, cordovan black punch hole cap toe!

20. SRichard

SRichard Active Member

sounds good. might go try some loake's then...

thanks for the advice