• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herr Brun, the Rui is an extremely narrow last. Most men should size up either half or one full size. I have no pairs from Loake, but Meermin's Hiro last is very true to size and fits snugly. If you have a high instep or wide feet, none of these two will fit you.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Herr Brun, the Rui is an extremely narrow last. Most men should size up either half or one full size. I have no pairs from Loake, but Meermin's Hiro last is very true to size and fits snugly. If you have a high instep or wide feet, none of these two will fit you.

Which will?

I thought the Rui was really wide:

KgMVO.png

Did you perhaps mean the New Rey?

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Rui last is anything but narrow. I have a fairly wide foot and the Rui last is a good fit for me. I am a U.S. 12D in most shoes and went with the 11UK in the Rui last. I almost could have gone a half size smaller. For comparison's sake, an11UK on the C&J 337 last is a tough fit for me width-wise and very tight.

Last edited:

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a photo-update from Pepe this morning! Stoked.

So what do I need to start prepping to receive these through U.S. customs?

Is it too late to amend the first post to put it out there as a sticky of sorts?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Rui last is anything but narrow.  I have a fairly wide foot and the Rui last is a good fit for me.  I am a U.S. 12D in most shoes and went with the 11UK in the Rui last.  I almost could have gone a half size smaller.  For comparison's sake, an11UK on the C&J 337 last is a tough fit for me width-wise and very tight.

How is the instep of the Rui? My C&J 337's are UK8.5. The length is fine (wouldn't want them longer), the width is just fine, but the instep is a bit too low, as you can see here:

uc5iX.jpg

(They were new in the pic; they've stretched a little bit since then, but not much.)

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the instep of the Rui? My C&J 337's are UK8.5. The length is fine (wouldn't want them longer), the width is just fine, but the instep is a bit too low, as you can see here:
uc5iX.jpg

(They were new in the pic; they've stretched a little bit since then, but not much.)

The lacing gap on my Belgraves is not as wide as yours, but I too find them a little low and restricting. The Rui last is much more accommodating for a higher instep.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The lacing gap on my Belgraves is not as wide as yours, but I too find them a little low and restricting.  The Rui last is much more accommodating for a higher instep. 

Good to hear, thanks. So, you'd assume for me, the same UK size 337/Rui would be fine?

Herr Brun

Reaction score
I also have the impression that the Rui is quite wide, and definitely not narrow. Looks that way on the pictures, anyhow. My feet are on the narrow side, but not a lot.

So if I am quite true to size 11UK, should I order the dubmonks (on the Hiro last) in 11 and maybe the Rui in 10,5?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to hear, thanks. So, you'd assume for me, the same UK size 337/Rui would be fine?
I would think so. If you want to play it safe, e-mail Meermin to ask for the sole and last measurements for the same size and one half size down. You can e-mail [email protected] I got an answer back within 2 hours when I did this.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would think so.  If you want to play it safe, e-mail Meermin to ask for the sole and last measurements for the same size and one half size down.  You can e-mail [email protected]  I got an answer back within 2 hours when I did this.

I will, thanks. No concrete plans at the moment, but good to have some info beforehand. Do you happen to have a Meermin Hiro as well? And can you say something about Hiro vs. 337?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will, thanks. No concrete plans at the moment, but good to have some info beforehand. Do you happen to have a Meermin Hiro as well? And can you say something about Hiro vs. 337?

I have a pair in the Ben last and had tried on 337 before. 337 definitely has slightly more instep girth and more metatarsal width.

Meermin should be able to adjust the last in their MTO program.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No experience with the Hiro last, but the measurements e-mailed to me appeared to be only slightly more narrow than the Rui measurements.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No experience with the Hiro last, but the measurements e-mailed to me appeared to be only slightly more narrow than the Rui measurements. 

Thanks again. Might try the Hiro out for some standard black toecap oxfords (which I still don't own :)).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priyadimply