• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

weatherbear

Reaction score
Trying to figure out what the hell my tailor did to the shoulders and how I can remedy the situation. When I picked up the jacket he ranted to me that they messed up the sleeves so he went ahead and “fixed” it. Turns out he removed the canvas pieces that extended into the shoulder. I had him see them back in which helped somewhat but still not as it once was.

Pretty irked that he would do something so drastic without my consent. For context this is supposed to have a soft extended shoulder. Now it’s collapsing below the shoulder seam where it had some fullness before

Sleeves are a whole other issue. I’m thinking it might be due to the sleeves being pitched too far back and it’s pulling on my bicep a bit

Attachments

• IMG_7077.jpeg
    IMG_7077.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_7316.jpeg
    IMG_7316.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 118

hysteria

Reaction score

stylecounsel1

Reaction score
This casual cotton chino suit I think is supposed to be one of the latest style "relaxed" fit fashion. (Maybe they should call it "doesn't" fit! :) ). I got both 36 and 38 jacket with 31 trousers but I can't tell which jacket looks the least worst! I'm thinking the 36 fit is a little closer? but if it is supposed to be baggy then maybe the 38 is the better one? (the trousers are quite baggy)

If you look at the second pic (arms raised) there is no shape or structure to the jacket.

This suit is not SF approved and is for fun for me to try a new look in casual social settings (not business) and I like the airy summery loose feel. But I can't tell which size to keep? If they are both OK then maybe keep both with the 38 being for an extra relaxed look to maybe wear with jeans, etc and the 36 I can wear with the matching trousers?

any opinions greatly appreciated with thanks.

Attachments

• 36381.jpg
    36381.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 69
  • 36382.jpg
    36382.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 75

blockingtackle

Reaction score
I'm trying out tuxedos for my wedding, and ordered 2 sizes (34S and 36S) from Spier and Mackay to see which fit my shoulders better and which would need the least alterations. I visited 3 tailors in town but they all told me different things. (FWIW, my fiance likes the 34S better)

First tailor: she liked the 36S better. She thinks the shoulders on the 34S are too small and she can taper the waist and arms to be fit more closely She also thinks the button on the 36S is a tad too low, but that's something she can't fix. (around $250 in alterations including hemming and tightening pants waist)

Second tailor: she liked the 34S better. She thinks that it fits perfectly except for the chest, which she can let out a little to reduce how much it pops. She also thinks the 36S is a little long. (around $550 in alterations including hemming and loosening pants waist)

Third tailor: he liked the 34S better. He thinks that he just needs to "lower" the collar. (around $150 in alterations including hemming and loosening pants waist)

What do you all think? Which one should I go for? The first and third tailors also offer custom suiting, but for $1500 and $1800 respectively, that's pretty expensive. At the same time, it is my wedding so maybe I could justify splurging a little...

Would appreciate any opinions! Thanks!

34S:
34S_front.jpg
34S_side1.jpg
34S_side2.jpg
34S_back.jpg

36S:
36S_front.jpg
34S_side1.jpg
36S_side2.jpg
36S_back.jpg

Last edited:

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying out tuxedos for my wedding, and ordered 2 sizes (34S and 36S) from Spier and Mackay to see which fit my shoulders better and which would need the least alterations. I visited 3 tailors in town but they all told me different things. (FWIW, my fiance likes the 34S better)

First tailor: she liked the 36S better. She thinks the shoulders on the 34S are too small and she can taper the waist and arms to be fit more closely She also thinks the button on the 36S is a tad too low, but that's something she can't fix. (around $250 in alterations including hemming and tightening pants waist)

Second tailor: she liked the 34S better. She thinks that it fits perfectly except for the chest, which she can let out a little to reduce how much it pops. She also thinks the 36S is a little long. (around $550 in alterations including hemming and loosening pants waist)

Third tailor: he liked the 34S better. He thinks that he just needs to "lower" the collar. (around $150 in alterations including hemming and loosening pants waist)

What do you all think? Which one should I go for? The first and third tailors also offer custom suiting, but for $1500 and $1800 respectively, that's pretty expensive. At the same time, it is my wedding so maybe I could justify splurging a little...

Would appreciate any opinions! Thanks!

34S:
View attachment 2161279 View attachment 2161281 View attachment 2161291 View attachment 2161285

36S:
View attachment 2161287 View attachment 2161289 View attachment 2161283 View attachment 2161293
I think you should go for a regular length instead of short. I wear short and I'm 5'6", but both the suits you posted look way too shrunken on you.

stylecounsel1

Reaction score
Hello, does this corduroy jacket fit me well?
It is nice and soft and I think the style suits me. The shoulders and chest feel snug but OK but the button point seems a bit tight. It might be that a diet would make it fit perfectly round the waist but perhaps it should be a sized up in any case as that would look more casual and suit the intended style better?

Opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• br.jpg
    br.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 113

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, does this corduroy jacket fit me well?
It is nice and soft and I think the style suits me. The shoulders and chest feel snug but OK but the button point seems a bit tight. It might be that a diet would make it fit perfectly round the waist but perhaps it should be a sized up in any case as that would look more casual and suit the intended style better?

Opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks

It's a good fit in my eyes. The style is rather modern/contemporary, hence the jacket is a little short and the stance rather high.

I would suggest using wider trousers (at the hem).

stylecounsel1

Reaction score
Thank you for feedback. I find sizing not easy and have made some mistakes with too small items i'm stuck with and don't wear. Yes it does seem a bit short,(BOC 28in /71.5cm) but still an acceptable length. I find my ideal jacket length is about 73cm. The thing that bothers me is the way it is pulling at the waist button and the quarters flaring out releaving shirt above trousers. It probably would not have had this problem a few years back when I was thinner. I think next size up would solve it but don't think i'll find one for sale now so maybe make do with this.

GGfpc

Reaction score
Any advice on this suit? I don't think its salvageable as I find that it's too long on me, makes me look top heavy. What do you think?

434846235_900431348433738_3778743618448243769_n.jpg

weatherbear

Reaction score
maybe it’s the angle but it doesn’t look ridiculously long or anything to me. Shortening the sleeves and putting shoes on will go a long way to making it seem more balanced

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Putting on a shirt you’d actually wear it with would also help.
maybe it’s the angle but it doesn’t look ridiculously long or anything to me. Shortening the sleeves and putting shoes on will go a long way to making it seem more balanced

wolfdale

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SF friends,

How do you think this jacket fits me? Is it too tight around the shoulders? Is the jacket too long? Are the sleeves a tad too long still?

I’m somewhat muscular so buying RTW is a challenge — however, dumbass me already bought from Lamarche two suits in this configuration (LM06MK2) thinking I had nailed the fit! I do expect to lose some muscle mass as I’ve just come from a bulking cycle, so it might work out fine, hopefully.

Thank you once again for all the help!

Attachments

• IMG_3168.jpeg
    IMG_3168.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3169.jpeg
    IMG_3169.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 204

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads