• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ggoodwin

Reaction score
Sizing question, apologies if this has been answered a number of times. I'm in the market for new pair of dress shoes, and have heard good things about Meermin for dollar value.

I don't have a lot of dress/nice shoes for comparison, but I wear a 7.5 in J Crew/Alden PCT cordovan boots on the barrie last, 7.5 in Viberg Service Boots, 7.5 in Clark's Desert Boots, 8.5 in New Balance and most other sneakers. In general I have a narrow foot and I've been measured twice on a Brannock device by shoe salespeople who seemed to know what they were doing. One said I was an 8.5 D the other an 8.5 B.

Looking at the Meermin site, I'm most interested in the Oxfords in either the Elton or the Olfe last. According to the site and one email I've exchanged with Meermin, I should be going for the UK size 7.5 in either of these shoes as they say they fit true to size. Can anybody with experience with either of these lasts speak to that accuracy or provide any additional insight on the fit? Sorry for asking a question I've already essentially had answered, but I'm nervous about buying shoes online from overseas and would really like to avoid making a poor choice. Thanks!

Skelnik

Reaction score
The latest MTO is dark brown napa leather boots. From what I understand the napa leather is very soft and delicate and stains very easily. These are nice looking boots but I would be worried they wouldn't hold up well. It would probably be good on occasionally worn dress boots as opposed to frequently used winter boots. Does anyone own any Meermin napa leather boots? How do they hold up over time?

josef1

Reaction score
How do the Chelsea boots in HIRO fit?

I have double monks in HIRO 7.5UK (fits well but high instep that was remedied w a tongue pad)
and I have a long wing in RUI 7UK which fits pretty much perfectly after break in.

Any advice on what I should get on the Chelsea boot in HIRO?
Also, would anyone have actual pics of the Chelsea boot in dark brown calf? (https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4559)
Not sure how im feeling about that black toe on their pictures on the website so I was wondering how it looked like in person. (im a brown shoe kinda guy)

Cheers!

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have the Hiro double monks and have had similar problems with instep. After measuring my feet, I've concluded that I'm actually closer to a size 8UK than a 9.

What I'm trying to say is, if you are using tongue pads, surely you should be sizing down?

josef1

Reaction score
I also have the Hiro double monks and have had similar problems with instep. After measuring my feet, I've concluded that I'm actually closer to a size 8UK than a 9.

What I'm trying to say is, if you are using tongue pads, surely you should be sizing down?

I possibly could have fit 7UK well on those double monks, although my extensive perusal of these forums lead me to only half sizing down from my US size when it comes to HIRO so I went with 7.5UK. It could have possibly been too tight on the toes tho as well so I wasnt willing to risk it, better half size bigger than half size smaller I suppose. The tongue pads helped a lot tho with filling that high in step and the shoes are now snug all around. Very minimal heel slip but its not fully broken in yet, Meermins are SO stiff out of the box.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a delicate balance. I also have the Hiro lasted country calf bluchers. Of course it's problematic to compare regular leather shoes to suede, but they were an absolute bastard to break in.

I'm hopeful my issues will be solved by wearing a smaller size. Sadly, it's almost impossible to buy decent shoes in Finland at reasonable cost, so the only way to know for sure is to put your money on the table. We all have our crosses to bear, I guess. Godspeed.

Last edited:

TwillPoplin

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what size to go for in the Hiro Chelsea boot. I got Hiro Chukkas and Hiro Brogues at 9.5 UK and they're a good fit. I am however worried that it will be a bit loose considering the Chelsea has no lacing system to keep it tight. Meermin lasts are very different since I have some other low shoes from the same brand in sizes 8.5 and 9.

Would you size down to a 9 if you were in my shoes (no pun intended)? :)

Miguelu

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what size to go for in the Hiro Chelsea boot. I got Hiro Chukkas and Hiro Brogues at 9.5 UK and they're a good fit. I am however worried that it will be a bit loose considering the Chelsea has no lacing system to keep it tight. Meermin lasts are very different since I have some other low shoes from the same brand in sizes 8.5 and 9.

Would you size down to a 9 if you were in my shoes (no pun intended)? :)

How do the Chelsea boots in HIRO fit?

I have double monks in HIRO 7.5UK (fits well but high instep that was remedied w a tongue pad)
and I have a long wing in RUI 7UK which fits pretty much perfectly after break in.

Any advice on what I should get on the Chelsea boot in HIRO?
Also, would anyone have actual pics of the Chelsea boot in dark brown calf? (https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4559)
Not sure how im feeling about that black toe on their pictures on the website so I was wondering how it looked like in person. (im a brown shoe kinda guy)

Cheers!

Hey guys, I've got two pairs of oxfords in the Hiro and recently gotten a pair of Hiro Chelsea boots - they fit me quite similarly snugly at a UK7. Unless you have a particularly low instep, I wouldn't worry about any looseness if you stick with your usual Hiro size - although you may need a good long shoe horn to get your feet in properly!

Last edited:

Win545

Reaction score

It is a delicate balance. I also have the Hiro lasted country calf bluchers. Of course it's problematic to compare regular leather shoes to suede, but they were an absolute bastard to break in. 

I'm hopeful my issues will be solved by wearing a smaller size. Sadly, it's almost impossible to buy decent shoes in Finland at reasonable cost, so the only way to know for sure is to put your money on the table. We all have our crosses to bear, I guess. Godspeed.

I was planning to get the country calf plain toe on the hiro last as well. Is it that bad? Harder to break in than their normal calfskin? Is there any heel slippage? I used to own hiro lasted double monk and the fit was bad for me, i dont know if the blucher will be better.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was planning to get the country calf plain toe on the hiro last as well. Is it that bad? Harder to break in than their normal calfskin? Is there any heel slippage? I used to own hiro lasted double monk and the fit was bad for me, i dont know if the blucher will be better.
I would say the fit on the blucher is better, but the leather was very hard at first; I assume because of the pebble grain. There was some heel slippage initially but not since they have been broken in.

If you buy them, I'd recommend getting some Saphir Renovateur as well. It will make the break-in process considerably easier and quicker.

Last edited:

TwillPoplin

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got two pairs of oxfords in the Hiro and recently gotten a pair of Hiro Chelsea boots - they fit me quite similarly snugly at a UK7. Unless you have a particularly low instep, I wouldn't worry about any looseness if you stick with your usual Hiro size - although you may need a good long shoe horn to get your feet in properly!

Thanks for your insight, logically it should be the same size since it is constructed on the same last. I would love to get the right size at the first try.

AMD500

Reaction score
has anyone had any email correspondence with Meermin customer service over the last week? I am trying to get in touch with them about an order, and I have had no reply. They are usually very good about getting back to customers. It also appears that their website contact page isnt working.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulioCesarSalad