• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

McGwire fails to make HOF

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I am not sure there has ever been a player much better than Rickey.

Willie Mays wasn't a unanimous selection. I think he qualifies as "much better", if few others do.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
McGwire was a better player than Sosa. Hall-worthy.

The "first-ballot HOFer" thing is difficult - theoretically, all members elected are the same. Realistically, not so much. At this point, I think it's a quality tradition that only the greatest of the greats get in the first go-round. By that standard, McGwire wasn't first-ballot whatever you might think of his alleged drug use.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
I believe he will be enshrined eventually along with Bonds and possibly Tejada (McGwire's steroid buddy and all
lol8[1].gif
), Sosa, Palmeiro.. For all we know, no one can deny their HOF bid solely on the alleged abuse of performance-enhancing drug and at the same time support any other great players from that era (Clemens, Bagwell, Frank Thomas..) with a clean conscience.

The only one in that group that is a lock is Bonds, who was the bestr player of his generation prior to his Herculean output of HRs due to 'roids, and maybe Clemens. McGwire was a HR hitter with a middling BP and so-so fielder.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i dunno, i think these old farts don;t see the magic 300 victories and judge based upon that.

Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Too many home runs allowed is my guess.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the roids debate is marsupialed. the vast majority were using, some with greater effect than others. chad curtis gained 25lbs one off-season through diet and creatine
crackup[1].gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Willie Mays wasn't a unanimous selection. I think he qualifies as "much better", if few others do.
Growing up in the Bay Area, we used to have this conversation at home all the time. The general conclusion was, and I was the only one too young to have seen Mays, was that Mays was appreciably better than Henderson, but that they were in the same league, with very, very few other players, simply because they could take a game over and win it, in a sport which does not allow for that. Bonds in '93 was like that as well, and that was before 'roids. Again, I don't doubt that Mays was a better player, but with all of the home runs in Henderson's time, it is easy to forget what an amazing force he was on the field.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rickey was great (top 25 great), but Rickey was no Willie.

Mays was probably the best defensive center fielder of his generation, a fantastic baserunner/stealer (not in Henderson's category on the latter end, but he wasn't a leadoff man either) and a slugger who lost countless home runs to Candlestick and Polo.

Rickey was the greatest 'leadoff' (in terms of getting on base, scoring runs, wherever someone hits) man since Ty Cobb, but lacked Willie's power and defensive prowess (Henderson was above-average, though).

Or to put it simply - every skill Rickey had, Willie had. But Willie had skills Rickey didn't.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn... I remember Rickey Henderson and I don't even like baseball. Glad McGwire got the shaft.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tim Raines stole bases at a higher percentage than Henderson - whether he stole fewer as a result of managerial decisions or what, I don't know. But the skill (getting the jump + speed) was there.

Willie had Rickey's speed or close to it, and was a fantastic base-stealer himself when called upon in his youth. But the game was different, and his role was different.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Raines argument holds its weight. I mean Rickey stole almost twice as many bases in his career. No doubt, that is a feather in Raines' cap, but to for Rickey to steal that many more bases and only be a few percentage points lower than Raines is even more amazing.

We are starting to get into theoreticals now
smile.gif

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Gotta get this off my chest: Rickey Henderson was picked on 511 of 539 ballots. Who the f**k are these 28 people who thought Rickey Henderson wasn't a first-ballot Hall of Famer? They should have their voting privileges revoked immediately. That's a f**king disgrace.

mps23

Reaction score
I don't know about this McGwire being better than Sosa. Sosa has a higher BA, more RBIs and HRs than McGwire. Sosa actually stole bases also.

Kunk, I agree with you that Blylevan should be in the Hall. I'm not sure why he isn't in there. It's not like he threw spitters or carried a nail file in his back pocket. Meanwhile, Don Sutter is in the Hall.
The only knock on Blylevan is that he only won 20 games once, & his W-L % is barely over .500. However, he has a good career ERA & strikeout #s.

Blylevan's #s are also better or equal to many of Fergie Jenkins, but Jenkins had much more dominating single season stats.

And it took Jim Rice way too long to get into the HoF. Now, that makes no sense.

Originally Posted by milosz
McGwire was a better player than Sosa. Hall-worthy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads