• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love when I see a man in the wild with the basting stitches still holding vents together, and/or the brand label on the sleeve. I appreciate the effort.

I believe that leaving the sleeve label is actually a thing for some people, like leaving stickers on baseball caps. Leaving in basting screams "this is my first suit," though.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it’s basically a mistake. That said, I always leave the label on my scarves. Otherwise who will know that I not only have the taste but the coin to wear cashmere from Drake’s, Begg, Zegna and such?

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When Simon Crompton tries to give style advice on a budget:

1: Buy only 1 watch. Like a Cartier Tank @ 6000 GBP
2: You could pass on bespoke shirts
3: Buy shoes from Edward Green or Saint Crispins
4: Spend money on altering RTW pants
5: Buy bespoke
6: Buy bespoke
7: Buy classics
8: Once a year spend twice as much as normal
9: Buy only 1 pair of jeans
10: Buy cheap, but good quality underwear.

All in all i would say 4, 7 and 10 could be call budget advice. The rest I think shows how easy it is get used to spending ridiculous amounts on luxury items and actually believe they are necessities of life.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Doesn't he get 99% of his stuff for free?

I have heard him say alter RTW pants. Spoken from a person who is a spindle this makes sense. One of the major reasons I went bespoke is because of pants. When you have knocked-knees, or bow legs RTW will never fall correctly.

Passing on bespoke shirts is also dumb advice, IMO. 98% of the reason I get bespoke shirts is for the collar and 2% is proper sleeve length. To get a good collar from a RTW shirt you will likely spend more money than buying a bespoke shirt. Also, not all men have a perfect neck to arm ratio. Finding RTW shirts with my sleeve length is next to impossible.

Everything else I agree with.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

All in all i would say 4, 7 and 10 could be call budget advice. The rest I think shows how easy it is get used to spending ridiculous amounts on luxury items and actually believe they are necessities of life.

well you can argue he start the shoe part from Crockett Jones...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought RTW shirts is decently easy enough to find if you just try A LOT brand, same with pants. Though to me even jacket I can get pretty good from RTW...

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Earlier this year, my mom said she’d never spent more than $100 on a pair of shoes. My parents are not poor by any means; they retired in solidly white collar, management level jobs. It is funny how distorted your perspective can become.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out Voxsartoria's comments on this on Twitter. Pretty funny.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads