• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
If you're adamant about owning something, you can always get it relined...That work is expensive and with the shipping, it ends up being about the same as buying a new tie.
Thrifts have ties for two bucks. Buy one. Rip out interface, insert in stretched out tie. You don't need You Tube for this, just do it.

There is a path between what @Despos does, make clothing, and what most here do, talk about clothing. Consider exploring it.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
Today while trying to get rid of a useless afternoon before my 'quitting time' at last came, I looked at various arcane organizational policies, including the regulations for attire. As it happens, 'business traditional' is required, but 'business casual' may be permitted by managers and I found an order from a previous head of the organization effective on October 27th, 2008 that authorized 'business casual' all year for employees at the central office. I've wondered since being told by a colleague who since retired when coat, ties et cetera died and now by the power of wasting time, I have my answer. It doesn't matter to me, of course, but curiosity satisfied is... ... ...

Octobab

Reaction score
So my father via his work has been invited for dinner at Augusta national; it's my responsibility to dress him.

What direction and level of formality is appropriate here? Full worsted and tie? Hopsack SC and chinos? Ive never been to a country club, let alone THE country club, so I have no idea at all what people wear to these sorts of things

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So my father via his work has been invited for dinner at Augusta national; it's my responsibility to dress him.

What direction and level of formality is appropriate here? Full worsted and tie? Hopsack SC and chinos? Ive never been to a country club, let alone THE country club, so I have no idea at all what people wear to these sorts of things
I would assume that some of these Ben Silver looks might work.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Here’s a better link to Ben Silver S/S 21 catalog. Some nice Southern Gentleman-approved sport coat looks.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So SC & trou is the way to go? I assume five pockets are a no-go.
Honestly, I have no idea beyond the Southern Trad look. I'd Google the club name and see what events were held in the recent past. I'm sure they get lots of media coverage. Should give you some idea how men dress there.

Octobab

Reaction score
Honestly, I have no idea beyond the Southern Trad look. I'd Google the club name and see what events were held in the recent past. I'm sure they get lots of media coverage. Should give you some idea how men dress there.

They hold events? I was under the impression this was a pretty private club....

Octobab

Reaction score
The issue is A) the southern trad look is deeply incompatible with my father, a Wisconsinite who looks like the love child of Captain Ahab and a lumberjack. I understand what looks good on him, the issue here is getting the right level of formality, which leads into B) I assume what's appropriate to spectate the Masters and whats appropriate to wear to a private dinner may be very different, and ofc there aren't a lot of photo's floating around of private events.
Ideally there's be some guidance from the organizers, but the whole thing is surprisingly ad-hoc

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The issue is A) the southern trad look is deeply incompatible with my father, a Wisconsinite who looks like the love child of Captain Ahab and a lumberjack. I understand what looks good on him, the issue here is getting the right level of formality, which leads into B) I assume what's appropriate to spectate the Masters and whats appropriate to wear to a private dinner may be very different, and ofc there aren't a lot of photo's floating around of private events.
Ideally there's be some guidance from the organizers, but the whole thing is surprisingly ad-hoc
Well, if I were invited to the Congressional Golf Club here in DC for dinner tonight with no dress input on the invite I would wear:

Navy blazer in summer hopsack (with a white linen pocket square in TV fold)
Linen/linen blend dress pants in light gray, white, off white, etc.
Button down dress shirt in solid white or light blue, light pink even.
Leather or dark suede dress loafers
Nice watch.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Paging @bourbonbasted

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They hold events? I was under the impression this was a pretty private club....
It is. Honestly, no one really gives a **** anymore. The only thing that matters at Augusta National is the green jacket. And your dad doesn't have one. Just look nice-ish. Don't worry about it too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads