• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MC General Chat

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's against the law for anyone in Atlanta to have a proper, nice umbrella, so I recommend a coat that will actually keep you dry. Accordingly, I defer to Gore-Tex, the only material I've worn that keeps me totally dry, even in a downpour.

Check out Herno Laminar. They make a bunch of Gore-Tex shells that are super inconspicuous and actually keep the rain out. I also really like Arc'Teryx Veilance. Similarly somber and capable but with some cool design quirks that make them a bit more visually interesting. Nanamica also makes some cool, utilitarian jackets. Their Soutien jacket is nice and easy.
I think the Soutien is perfect. But doctor @norMD has some pretty coats. I'm not about to drop 1K on two rain jackets am I?

For hoods....eh.... I alreadywill have a nice umbrella. If im hiking or whatever I'll have a hooded jacket. But not like day-to-day stuff

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A hood is definitely preferable. I suppose if you are a hardcore I-Gent, a hood would not be considered elegant (“sartorial” lol).

Veilance > NR imo
Yeah, the hood is a deal-breaker with suits for me. I have an Isaia treated wool raincoat that really works. Keeps the water out and fits over tailoring.

1627332595299.png

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's against the law for anyone in Atlanta to have a proper, nice umbrella...
I think it's against the law period in rainy Seattle (which is currently 70+ days into a drought). People look at me as if I'm crazy when I pull out a real umbrella.

When I moved here there was an umbrella store downtown. It closed a few years back.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A hood is definitely preferable. I suppose if you are a hardcore I-Gent, a hood would not be considered elegant (“sartorial” lol).
Hoods are quite popular here in Seattle ... and I do have a coat with a hood. That said, I can't bring myself to wear it (just don't like the feel of it ... nothing about looks). If it's raining that hard ... it's time for a car and driver ... or an umbrella. ;)

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's against the law for anyone in Atlanta to have a proper, nice umbrella, so I recommend a coat that will actually keep you dry. Accordingly, I defer to Gore-Tex, the only material I've worn that keeps me totally dry, even in a downpour.

Check out Herno Laminar. They make a bunch of Gore-Tex shells that are super inconspicuous and actually keep the rain out. I also really like Arc'Teryx Veilance. Similarly somber and capable but with some cool design quirks that make them a bit more visually interesting. Nanamica also makes some cool, utilitarian jackets. Their Soutien jacket is nice and easy.
Just kopped soutien

Iskander

Reaction score
How is your feeling about short-sleeved shirts with trousers? Is it looking too Mormon? I heard Mormons dress as this but I've never seen one. It looks comfortable for when the weather is 32ºC or so
summer-style-linen-shirt-768x960.jpg

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's against the law period in rainy Seattle (which is currently 70+ days into a drought). People look at me as if I'm crazy when I pull out a real umbrella.

When I moved here there was an umbrella store downtown. It closed a few years back.
Its practically against the law to wear clothing that isn't thrifted or threadbare.

I love Seattle but it does look like a homeless camp full of bougie homeless cosplayers at times.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

PDX is the same. That's where I embraced the Way of Gore-Tex.

Reactions: RSS

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How is your feeling about short-sleeved shirts with trousers? Is it looking too Mormon? I heard Mormons dress as this but I've never seen one. It looks comfortable for when the weather is 32ºC or so
View attachment 1645175
I dress like this in the summertime. Shirt needs to be linen and I usually just leave my shirt untucked.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1645175
The Mormons I’ve met often do wear a white short sleeved button down shirt, but it’s rarely linen and always with a tie. And a smile.

I think Simon’s outfit is fine and have no issues with short sleeved shirts. Personally I’d wear something a little more funky but that’s just my personality.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Mormons I’ve met often do wear a white short sleeved button down shirt, but it’s rarely linen and always with a tie. And a smile.

I think Simon’s outfit is fine and have no issues with short sleeved shirts. Personally I’d wear something a little more funky but that’s just my personality.
I think it’s the JW folks that are famous for the white short sleeve shirt with tie usually on a bike.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I was a kid in Taiwan, I remember seeing Mormons dress in white short sleeve shirt +tie and black pants, black dress shoe, never paid attention then to knew if the shirt were button down or not

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it’s the JW folks that are famous for the white short sleeve shirt with tie usually on a bike.
Pretty sure you’re thinking of Mormons. I’m a JW and we never rode bikes in the ministry, although that would’ve been a lot of fun. Whenever we would meet we would joke about how we are often confused for each other.

On another note, happy to see this trend gaining traction:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.