• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good fit and a subtle and refined colour composition on this outfit of Mr Davide Tofani.

View attachment 2151787
Yup, very refined, subtle, and unusual color palette. Don’t know how many folks other than mormonmonopoly actually wear Spectators outside these days.

Speaking of Spectators; the opening sequence of Strangers on a Train, the definitive CM footwear scene in film history:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by"not treated"? I thought that the tannery goes through lengthy processes before they sell the leather.

Yes, of course, that's why I added "as it comes from the tannery", meaning not furtherly treated by the shoemaker, once the shoe is ready. You can see the different finish in the pictures.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, very refined, subtle, and unusual color palette. Don’t know how many folks other than mormonmonopoly actually wear Spectators outside these days.

Speaking of Spectators; the opening sequence of Strangers on a Train, the definitive CM footwear scene in film history:

Nice, from a time when trousers had a proper width.

A well cut pair of trousers.

Screenshot (1432).png

Last edited:

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s how my father wear his trouser (or used to), I can’t see myself doing that though. I feel like you have to be wearing jacket 100% all the time if you want high rise and wide leg
Take a look at the Scott Fraser Collection and their Instagram. He shows high waisted, wide leg trousers with knits and more casual layers. I really like their style.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have flared stuff from Husband Paris but that was very intentional, I can cosplay sometimes but if I go that wide I just feel like cosplay all the time I suppose…

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. AB's not a petite guy, but they still look far too billowy/leaning into costume for me. I like the general aesthetic, but slightly tapered down (no pun intended) would be much better, imo.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There’s a famous photo (by SF standards) of VoxSartoria’s trousers that people on the forum use as a reference point. I think that’s the ideal fit.

LJ1891

Reaction score
Agreed. AB's not a petite guy, but they still look far too billowy/leaning into costume for me. I like the general aesthetic, but slightly tapered down (no pun intended) would be much better, imo.
I had a pair of trousers made like the ones he’s wearing…full cut, 14in rise, 10in openings, beautiful deep double pleats. My tailor did a great job and totally nailed the look. But, it wasnt for me.

We reduced the rise to 13in. We kept the fullness through the seat to fill the jacket. Then we started gently tapering to 9in at the bottom of the calf and kept it 9in from there all the way down to the opening…presto.

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a pair of trousers made like the ones he’s wearing…full cut, 14in rise, 10in openings, beautiful deep double pleats. My tailor did a great job and totally nailed the look. But, it wasnt for me.

We reduced the rise to 13in. We kept the fullness through the seat to fill the jacket. Then we started gently tapering to 9in at the bottom of the calf and kept it 9in from there all the way down to the opening…presto.

Well, 9in (ca 23cm) is still a noteworthy width in comparison with the ubiquitous ones nowadays under 8in. My preference is for 24/25cm.

Another great silhouette from the 50s.

Screenshot (1438).png

Screenshot (1437).png

Screenshot (1439).png

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I now know I prefer wider (not 10" level) openings, and more break on trousers. The "shivering" break is lovely for robopose, but invariably feels like I'm wearing highwaters when walking.

Not enough to look dumpy when standing still, but I'll take a break trending toward sloppy over a perfect robopose break any day...at least now lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads