• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MC General Chat

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does look a little high. But either way, capsule collections are always interesting, especially from brands with long histories.

They were smart to focus on classic fabrics (sharkskin, pin stripes, etc...).

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Here are some Brioni pics that illustrate the buttoning point being a bit too high:

View attachment 1565301

View attachment 1565302
View attachment 1565303
I am not sure that there is such a thing as a correct buttoning point. It's more a matter of what looks good. The first jacket is too tight and we can only see the top of it. The third jacket is too short and thus the buttoning point looks very high. I think the second picture looks good, though. The buttoning point is definitely higher than you normally see in these parts, but I don't think the jacket looks worse for it.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not sure that there is such a thing as a correct buttoning point. It's more a matter of what looks good. The first jacket is too tight and we can only see the top of it. The third jacket is too short and thus the buttoning point looks very high. I think the second picture looks good, though. The buttoning point is definitely higher than you normally see in these parts, but I don't think the jacket looks worse for it.
My own inclination is to have the buttoning point on a single-breasted jacket be precisely at my natural waist. For someone with a natural slimness/v-shape this actually creates a good line for the lapel, since that is also where there will be the most waist suppression.

A higher buttoning point tends to emphasise an overall slimness throughout the body, since the waist cannot be taken in too much. You can see this on the suits above - a very gradual shaping and nothing to enhance the shoulders. A lower buttoning point (assuming one has the figure for it) will allow for a sharper distinction between the waist and shoulders, and create a strong chest and proportionate torso.

Example of approximate spot for me:

display.php.png

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yikes, that is a bad example, but don’t know if you are joking.
I just grabbed the first picture I could find - anyone with Google can find another. The point is that moving the buttons down several inches makes for a much better line of the lapel and a stronger chest.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what makes it so unfortunate. I'm assuming the actors above are wearing mtm Brioni, and you can see flashes of brilliance on the suits. The shoulders are clean, and not too boxy. The sleevehead in the last pic drapes perfectly (can't comment on the trousers).

But the buttoning point doesn't seem to work well.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Tariffs will also be lifted on UK cheese, cashmere and machinery.
The duties will be suspended for four months while the two sides seek a long-term settlement."

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1) I am excited to ruin another thread
2) I've found the last like five months that a linen square is the way to go. Something about how strongly it pops makes it the best to me, and I usually hate white/black things.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) I am excited to ruin another thread
2) I've found the last like five months that a linen square is the way to go. Something about how strongly it pops makes it the best to me, and I usually hate white/black things.
That's the only pocket square I really ever wear.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 32 15.2%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Carmina

Votes: 31 14.8%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 71 33.8%