• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching the pocket square

Noclueguy

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good rule of thumb when it comes to the color of the pocket square? I've heard that it's wrong to match it with the tie, is that still true? Some people suggest that you match it with the shirt, but I usually like to wear a white shirt and I don't want a white pocket square.

Does it look good to match the pocket square with a secondary color of the tie (as long as it's not the same as the jacket color)? I've seen pictures where the pocket square didn't seem to match anything in the outfit and it still looked nice, but I guess you might fail miserably if you attempt something like that without being a color expert.

After reading through an old thread on this forum it seems that the consensus is that plain colored pocket sqares should be avoided? But if you have a suit with a pattern (such as the pinstripe navy suit I mentioned in another thread), will it look too busy with both a patterned tie and pocket square? And if so, should I just choose a plain colored tie instead?

Also, does the color of your shoes affect your choice of tie and pocket square?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is like trying to define a rule for matching socks (or not). Just avoid matching the square very closely or even exactly to your tie. Easy possibilities include, as you mention, matching the square to something else like the tie's secondary color. Try:
waywburg.jpg
You can also try to pick up the color (but not the exact shade) of your tie or your shirt. Then you branch out into trying a square color that does not match anything else on you, but is complementary to everything in that it picks up and complements everything else or somehow ties everything else together. You'll need to look at other posts on topics such as color wheels and do some trial and error. To add to the possibilities, you have choices in fabric (ex. contrast a silk tie with a cotton or linen square) and folds. If you try it a few times, you'll get an idea of what you like. Maybe you're a white linen TV fold guy, maybe you're a not so contrasting pattern and color TV fold guy, or maybe you're an outrageously contrasting and really loud puff or point fold guy.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A white linen square in a TV fold is always appropriate.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This will generate some serious debate, as have similar threads. Some people hate the TV fold, some others think it's classy. Same goes for matching to the tie and "the puff".

You seem to be leaning towards the latter, half the replies will affirm this, the other half won't - in the end it won't help you. The only thing that will is if you try things on yourself with your wardrobe and decide for yourself what you like. Then you can post some photos and get some feedback, and some of it might be useful to you!

You're on your own boyo.

yoshii

Reaction score
Slightly off-topic, but is it too much to wear both a tie clip AND a pocket square? Or is this more a personal choice?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yoshii
Slightly off-topic, but is it too much to wear both a tie clip AND a pocket square? Or is this more a personal choice?
I always wear a ps, and for a brief period I wore a tie clip. I don't think it's too much to wear both, but it does start to get a little fussy, imo. I stopped wearing my tie clip because I lost two and didn't want to lose my third. Also, I like simplicity and prefer that my clothing not call too much attention to myself. I started to feel that the tie clip was being noticed a bit more than I liked.

Noclueguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jermyn Street Jonny
FNB had this to say on the topic of pocket squares:

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/pocket-squares

I think pocket squares are an opportunity to have some fun with what might otherwise be a somber outfit. Definitely don't match to the tie. Coordination is OK. Choosing complementary colors works. But please do not match.

Thanks for the link. Ok so after reading that article and also looking up color coordination on askandyaboutclothes (which I've got the impression is a pretty respected source on this forum), how about this combination, just as an example?:

-Navy suit
-White shirt
-Red tie (burgundy or pink) with yellow, white or blue as the secondary color
-light yellow pocket square with red or blue as the secondary color
-burgundy shoes

So in this case the pocket square would stick out of the outfit seemingly not matching anything, but would actually create triad colors together with the suit and the shoes/tie (the Mercedes Benz symbol on the color wheel)?

Am I onto something here or am I still not getting it?

Suede Chukka Norris

Reaction score
No need to match it to the tie. If my shirt and tie have a lot of color...i usually go with the white linen or white linen with solid colored edges. I have a white w/ lavender edges that is great.

It's almost impossible to match a tie with a pocket square and it just looks to planned. Just pick a color that works with the outfit.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK I'm learning something. Now for the question of the day. Can you do a pocket square and not wear a tie?

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Noclueguy
Thanks for the link. Ok so after reading that article and also looking up color coordination on askandyaboutclothes (which I've got the impression is a pretty respected source on this forum), how about this combination, just as an example?:

-Navy suit
-White shirt
-Red tie (burgundy or pink) with yellow, white or blue as the secondary color
-light yellow pocket square with red or blue as the secondary color
-burgundy shoes

So in this case the pocket square would stick out of the outfit seemingly not matching anything, but would actually create triad colors together with the suit and the shoes/tie (the Mercedes Benz symbol on the color wheel)?

Am I onto something here or am I still not getting it?

I think your ready to take the next step in semi-neurotic style 101

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Can you do a pocket square and not wear a tie?
Yes.
Originally Posted by Noclueguy
Thanks for the link. Ok so after reading that article and also looking up color coordination on askandyaboutclothes (which I've got the impression is a pretty respected source on this forum), how about this combination, just as an example?: -Navy suit -White shirt -Red tie (burgundy or pink) with yellow, white or blue as the secondary color -light yellow pocket square with red or blue as the secondary color -burgundy shoes So in this case the pocket square would stick out of the outfit seemingly not matching anything, but would actually create triad colors together with the suit and the shoes/tie (the Mercedes Benz symbol on the color wheel)? Am I onto something here or am I still not getting it?
I think you're over-thinking things here. Choosing a pocket-square is no different to choosing which tie with which shirt, or which shirt with which suit; just follow the rules of pattern and colour-coordination and you'll be fine. And above all, just try it and see if it looks good...

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good. I'll have to add a few to my list of things to get, white linen is number one on the list.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads