• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching the pocket square

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to always pick a pocket square that has absolutely nothing to do with my jacket, tie or shirt. I assemble the entire outfit first and then pick my pocket square. When I am deciding which square I will use I am looking for a color that I dont have on yet but will blend nicely with the colors I am wearing.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a "screw the rules" example: right now Im wearing a tan sport coat with grey pants, brown shoes and a white/blue pinstrip shirt but I have a super loud red pocket square on. Eff it.

Noclueguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Suede Chukka Norris
No need to match it to the tie. If my shirt and tie have a lot of color...i usually go with the white linen or white linen with solid colored edges. I have a white w/ lavender edges that is great.

It's almost impossible to match a tie with a pocket square and it just looks to planned. Just pick a color that works with the outfit.

Yes I know about the white linen option, but I'd really like to try color for once. And this is basically what it looks like on a forum like when someone tries that despite not trusting his color sense I guess. ;-)
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I think you're over-thinking things here. Choosing a pocket-square is no different to choosing which tie with which shirt, or which shirt with which suit; just follow the rules of pattern and colour-coordination and you'll be fine. And above all, just try it and see if it looks good...
That was actually my attempt to follow the rules of color coordination and check if I got it right... I don't know anything about patterns though except that you shouldn't have stripes of the same with on your shirt and jacket, so I'd love to hear more about that.

Yes I know I seem neurotic
blush.gif
, but I'm just trying to learn about colors fast. I'm not color blind in a medical sense, but I just don't have an eye for it and I hope it's possible to change that.

Cas Ruffin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yoshii
Slightly off-topic, but is it too much to wear both a tie clip AND a pocket square? Or is this more a personal choice?

Why would it be too much? Nothing shows more attention to detail than adding these to your wardrobe and I don't think you should mind any attention that you get from it. You should be flattered.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*bump*

ok, i'm still trying to figure out how to match a pocket square with the rest of my accessories. I just bought a silver tie with a light pink floral pattern (it looks surprisingly sharp). i'll be wearing this with a dark charcoal suit, however, I don't know what color shirt to wear. I read some older posts here that said the PS shouldn't match the color of the tie exactly, but what about the shirt? if I went with a pink shirt, my silver/pink tie and a pink pocket square would that be sensory overload? or would a white shirt be more appropriate in this case?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads