• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Management Consulting Discussion

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You'll never have to pay for a cab (or take a train if you don't want to) to the airport for work...but you still would benefit from easy enough transit to the airport. For instance (thankfully I very rarely travel), I am pretty close to ohare (though I prefer MDW) and a taxi can get me there pretty quick for an early morning flight....but if I was frequently getting off a plane at 5:00, it would be a gigantic pain **********. It is way faster to take the train to my cross street and grab a cab there because being near the airport at rush hour sucks. Living somewhere that is an easier drive to the airport OR an easier direct train ride would make my life far easier if I was travelling every week.
Until more and more planes have internet :(

It's unreliable - you can always say it was not working.

BYucko

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Management consulting has always been something that I've wanted to try out. I got a 6-week internship in a boutique consulting firm this summer. That means that June/July/August are free for me to do anything. What would you guys suggest that I do to beef myself up for full time recruiting? Learn a language? Make some cash?

**I am heading into my senior yr in Sept

Last edited:

Macallan9

Reaction score
What's the deal with Docs (Medical Doctorate) going into consulting? AF brought it up earlier in the thread and i was curious - whats the pay like, lifestyle, factors they look for in hiring, etc.

Are MDs used for particular projects, or is this more of a springboard thing where the degree gets you a look but it's still based on your other work experiences and ability to get through the interviews? is it a separate interview process?

Not really something I had ever thought about (I'd never heard of anyone in medicine switching over until this thread, actually) but am curious.

Noremedy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just want a bit of advice from those in the upper-echelons of consulting.

I am going into my final year of undergrad, maintaining (converted for Americans) a 3.7 in Economics with 4.0's in Math at the University of Manchester in the UK.

This is a good university, but not quite Oxford or Cambridge, I'd compare it to Duke (as opposed to Princeton) or similar in the U.S.

I am currently in line for an interview with Deloitte, on their "fast track" program for all avenues of consultancy (except strategy) which I would have to lodge a new application for.

Ideally however I wish to work for MBB or a strategy house, and most importantly don't want to pigeon-hole myself in a specific avenue of consulting, which I fear IT for example could do.

However MBB tend to draw exceptionally heavily from Oxford, Cambridge and LSE.

My question therefore is: is it worth doing a Master's at Oxford/Cambridge (I plan to do an MBA later) and then applying to MBB, or would it be possible to make a move from Deloitte financial consulting, after a couple of years experience over to MBB.

I fear that a Master's in Economics and then an MBA 5 years later could be deemed as having too many qualifications, short of being a PhD level academic which are recruited for different reasons.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

B

pkblaze100

Reaction score
For people trying to get an idea on salaries and a general introduction to management consulting, make sure to check out management consulted (google it). They have a list of 2012 post undergrad and mba salaries for the big firms (which are very accurate from personal experience)

Noremedy

Reaction score
For people trying to get an idea on salaries and a general introduction to management consulting, make sure to check out management consulted (google it). They have a list of 2012 post undergrad and mba salaries for the big firms (which are very accurate from personal experience)
Similarly for those who want to know about IB check out Mergers and Inquisitions

PooJou

Reaction score
Interesting to contrast the experiences and general expectations of "mangement consultants" in the states there as opposed to here in Aus or over in the UK...

I think the pedestal for the big 3 is a lot taller there - and you guys have a hell of a lotta government work!

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for all the consultants out there.

I did a brief stint in consulting when I first left school and have since moved into industry.

I'm just refreshing my resume and am curious as to how you reflect your time in consulting. Do you select a few key projects you worked on and do bullet points for each?

Or do you summarize and give a general statement regarding the type of projects you worked on and the value you added.

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question for all the consultants out there.
I did a brief stint in consulting when I first left school and have since moved into industry.
I'm just refreshing my resume and am curious as to how you reflect your time in consulting. Do you select a few key projects you worked on and do bullet points for each?
Or do you summarize and give a general statement regarding the type of projects you worked on and the value you added.
Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Good question, something I've always wondered as well.
And for projects that are completed in your current position — do you write these in past tense?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I haven't updated my resume since I got my consulting gig out of college, but I'm wrapping up a big project that has some significant cost savings and efficiency gains I can report (read: brag) on. Now, this project I did is atypical to the others I've had and will have, so it'll probably consist of a bullet point that simply details what those gains were.

The rest of my bullet points will probably be more general that encompass skills developed/used on all projects.

Edit: oh, and for the bullet point on the specific project, it will be in past tense. All the rest will be in present tense.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads