• We would like to welcome LuxGentleman as an official Affiliate Vendor. LuxGentleman offers Neapolitan sartorial brands such as Isaia, Kiton, Borrelli, Sartoria Partenopea, D'Avenza, and Attolini, and Italian luxury brands like Loro Piana, Zegna, Canali, Cucinelli and Brioni at great prices. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Management Consulting Discussion

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
32,372
Reaction score
190
I'm happy to discuss careers in consulting if people are interested.
 

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
9,910
Reaction score
1,995
What would you say the main value proposition of management consulting is for the firms that hire them? Can that value be monetized? Can lessons learned generate sustainable increases in EBITDA growth, and can lessons learned in one division be leveraged into other areas and transformed into increased EVA there as well? Discuss.
 

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2009
Messages
2,380
Reaction score
123
I only had a 3.3 in undergrad but I did good work on Wall St. in technology and was quickly promoted. What are my chances of getting into a decent B-School? it's not something I am considering for the immediate future but maybe in a few years. Also, is that even necessary if I want to get into consulting?
 

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 25, 2008
Messages
12,314
Reaction score
4,613
I would like to discuss careers in management consulting, specifically mine. Can I haz a job?
 

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2009
Messages
2,380
Reaction score
123
Originally Posted by MrG
I would like to discuss careers in management consulting, specifically mine.

Can I haz a job?



It's "I can haz..." Please meme correctly.
 

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
4,862
Reaction score
749
Originally Posted by MrG
I would like to discuss careers in management consulting, specifically mine. Can I haz a job?

Are you really smart and cocky?
 

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 25, 2008
Messages
12,314
Reaction score
4,613
Originally Posted by thenanyu
It's "I can haz..." Please meme correctly.
My bad. Uh...I mean...Given this meme has reached a point where it's hard to see its market share growing any further, the real value will likely be leveraging its near ubiquity while adapting to the fact that it has reached a saturation point. With this in mind, I sought to tap into the brand recognition it retains while providing a product that better reflects the evolving marketplace.
Originally Posted by ramuman
Are you really smart and cocky?
I'm like a cross between Stephen Hawking and Kid Rock.
 

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
9,910
Reaction score
1,995
Originally Posted by ramuman
Are you really smart and cocky?

This is not relevant. Practice this, in front of a mirror preferably:

"I can promise to deliver sustainable growth in EBITDA by leveraging _________'s work across hundreds of Fortune 500 firms and translating those lessons learned into a plan to monetize latent opportunities at _______"
 

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
5,761
Reaction score
77
I'm curious as to how one charges for "consulting"?

In other words, if person comes to me and wants A and I have that information in my book at home. I copy that information / re write that information A, give it to them and charge them. Am I consulting or am I a charlatan? Or both?
 

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
4,862
Reaction score
749
Originally Posted by MrG
I'm like a cross between Stephen Hawking and Kid Rock.
Bad body language and a non-charismatic voice? You'd be lucky to get past the first round of interviews.
 

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
9,910
Reaction score
1,995
Originally Posted by MrG
:
Uh...I mean...Given this meme has reached a point where it's hard to see its market share growing any further, the real value will likely be leveraging its near ubiquity while adapting to the fact that it has reached a saturation point. With this in mind, I sought to tap into the brand recognition it retains while providing a product that better reflects the evolving marketplace.


You're hired.

[/end threadjack]
 

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
32,372
Reaction score
190
Originally Posted by gnatty8
What would you say the main value proposition of management consulting is for the firms that hire them? Can that value be monetized? Can lessons learned generate sustainable increases in EBITDA growth, and can lessons learned in one division be leveraged into other areas and transformed into increased EVA there as well? Discuss.

I would say shareholder value is the ultimate metric. Sometimes though you need to have organizational adjustments that are not directly attributable. Both tangible and intangible benefits accrue when done right.
 

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
32,372
Reaction score
190
Originally Posted by thenanyu
I only had a 3.3 in undergrad but I did good work on Wall St. in technology and was quickly promoted. What are my chances of getting into a decent B-School? it's not something I am considering for the immediate future but maybe in a few years. Also, is that even necessary if I want to get into consulting?

Getting into a top ten business school would probably be needed for strategy consulting. Good work on Wall Street should position well for an application.
 

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
32,372
Reaction score
190
Originally Posted by Tck13
I'm curious as to how one charges for "consulting"?

In other words, if person comes to me and wants A and I have that information in my book at home. I copy that information / re write that information A, give it to them and charge them. Am I consulting or am I a charlatan? Or both?


It varies. Typically consulting is based on time and materials with consulting time being the most dominant. Client pays for travel costs. Strategy firms are very expensive with goal of a 10:1 return. At McKinsey my hourly rate was north of $500 (!) since I was in part a specialist. A 3-4 person team might cost $1million per month. Engagements typically run 2-3 months.
 

Featured Sponsor

WHAT'S THE MAX NUMBER OF SHIRT BUTTONS YOU'LL UNDO BEFORE FEELING OUT OF PLACE?

  • Just the collar button is enough for me.

  • Two, including the collar button.

  • Three, including the collar button.

  • None.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
425,837
Messages
9,156,187
Members
192,338
Latest member
bachirhenrya

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top