• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Management Consulting? And what are wardrobe expectations?

CopperKettle

Reaction score
I'm facing an abrupt career transition from academia to a new career line and my most promising lead (and my favorite so far) is coming into management consulting with a PhD. I suppose my first question is whether there are any consultants on here, and second -

I have a decent collection of sport coats and suits but never really got to wear them in the university setting, even when teaching at an established East Coast university. Of course, most careers are becoming more casual with their wardrobe requirements, but how is consulting, especially in the big 3? Is it still a suit environment, or has everything homogenized around casual slacks and a collared button down shirt?

ChasingStyle

Reaction score
Former consultant here, 6 years at one of the MBB.

Depends on office and industry, but as an analyst/associate, business casual for office is usually fine, and a decent blue/gray suit or two for senior client meetings. As you progress and become more senior, nicer and more suits will likely be in order. Again, heavily dependent on office and industry. Consultants doing Finance in NYC own way more suits than those in High Tech in Israel, or Retail in Rio de Janeiro.

CopperKettle

Reaction score
Former consultant here, 6 years at one of the MBB.

Depends on office and industry, but as an analyst/associate, business casual for office is usually fine, and a decent blue/gray suit or two for senior client meetings. As you progress and become more senior, nicer and more suits will likely be in order. Again, heavily dependent on office and industry. Consultants doing Finance in NYC own way more suits than those in High Tech in Israel, or Retail in Rio de Janeiro.
Makes sense - thank you!

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I managed to avoid strategy consulting, but one thing also to consider is abuse on the suits. Figure either lots of air travel, or 14-hour days at your desk. So durability rather than the ultimate finesse, and maybe an extra pair of trousers per suit.

But sounds like you are equipped already to get to a place you need to be able to make that decision for yourself. When you get to the office, there will likely be somebody who can share tips on how to get through the week properly.

Last edited:

BabyBillyFreeman

Reaction score
I'm an independent consultant but work closely on projects with tier 1 consultants and it varies massively on the environment; the current project I'm on is for the UK Government and it's anything goes, but suits make the civil servants and tech bros twitchy, so generally I'm in polo shirts and jeans with trainers. If I have to present at board level I'll dust off a suit. If I have to visit senior civil servants I'll wear a battered Barbour, OCBD, jeans and some Yuketen, which fits in with their general style.

As an aside I'd be wary of dressing above your pay grade, I've seen young guys get ripped to shreds for sinking £30k into a gold Rolex from their first bonus cheque, admittedly that was in a law firm, but some items can be too flashy for the environment.

Isochronous

Reaction score
I'm an independent consultant but work closely on projects with tier 1 consultants and it varies massively on the environment; the current project I'm on is for the UK Government and it's anything goes, but suits make the civil servants and tech bros twitchy, so generally I'm in polo shirts and jeans with trainers. If I have to present at board level I'll dust off a suit. If I have to visit senior civil servants I'll wear a battered Barbour, OCBD, jeans and some Yuketen, which fits in with their general style.

As an aside I'd be wary of dressing above your pay grade, I've seen young guys get ripped to shreds for sinking £30k into a gold Rolex from their first bonus cheque, admittedly that was in a law firm, but some items can be too flashy for the environment.

I typically find civil servants to be arrogant but low ability, so a nice suit helps establish dominion and put them in their rightful place.

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
There are approximately 420,000 civil servants in the UK at present, so I expect generalising about how they will respond to your specific outfit will generally be a low accuracy venture. Personally I have had very mixed experiences - some are plodding, some are brilliant - it really depends what you are doing. If it’s something important and you are capable you are less likely to meet the duffers, so just wear something smart and appropriate and don’t sweat about it overmuch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads