• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Man of Steel (2013)

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude is looking to have the physique down... (no ****)

Last edited:

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes and supposedly an iron man 3 teaser as well.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to see this movie made....an older out of shape Superman

Failing that, Christopher will always be my favourite Superman

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man of Steel Teaser Running Time Revealed

We're expecting something really cool for Warner Bros. Pictures' Man of Steel this weekend at the San Diego Comic-Con, but in the meantime we've got news on the first teaser trailer for the film and quotes from director Zack Snyder and composer Hans Zimmer.

The Alberta Film Ratings has given the new teaser a G rating and states that it is 1 minute and 27 seconds long, so stay tuned for when it comes online!

Zack Snyder also stopped by the Art Center of College of Design in Los Angeles yesterday to speak about his entire career and he offered a nice tidbit into the pre-production and casting of his Superman movie:

We had about 500 guys initially. We did this massive auditioning madness. It got down to the usual suspects in a pretty quick order. Henry Cavill was actually the first one we physically tested on film. We actually tested him in the Christopher Reeves Superman suit. And that was a big deal. That’s a hard suit to pull off. Trust me. If you’re just standing there in that suit, it’s dodgy. It felt like we just bought it a costume shop. Plus, there’s no mask. I’ve been around a few superhero costumes, and it’s weird because when you’re in the Superman costume it’s just you from the neck up. And somebody just combed your hair. But Henry came out of the trailer when we were shooting a test and everybody thought Okay, that’s Superman. He was awesome and did a great job.

Another man tirelessly working on Man of Steel is Hans Zimmer. Having just wrapped The Dark Knight Rises, Zimmer spoke with Danny Graydon about working on the film and was asked if he's confident taking on the project:

I don’t feel confident at all. I never feel confident. But, a little bit of fear has gone a long way to being inspiring in the past. John Williams is the master and I am not even going to try and go in that direction. I’ll try my best not to embarrass myself and my colleagues on the film. I’m definitely going to have a go! In a funny way, it’s exactly because Superman is such an opposite character to Batman that I am welcoming the opportunity to do the music.

It looks like this adaptation of Superman is gearing up to be one for the ages. The June 14, 2013 release also stars Amy Adams, Diane Lane, Kevin Costner, Michael Shannon, Antje Traue, Russell Crowe, Ayelet Zurer, Christopher Meloni, Harry Lennix, Laurence Fishburne and Richard Schiff.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Failing that, Christopher will always be my favourite Superman

As a kid I thought he was too scrawny. Now I think he's awesome. He really sells the supersuit, which apparently Cavill struggled to do. No plastic enhancements or tiny S logos needed.

Would like to see the shots of Cavill in the original togs.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

As a kid I thought he was too scrawny. Now I think he's awesome. He really sells the supersuit, which apparently Cavill struggled to do. No plastic enhancements or tiny S logos needed.

Cavill or Routh? Because the article I posted just said Cavill pulled it off.

We actually tested him in the Christopher Reeves Superman suit. And that was a big deal. That’s a hard suit to pull off. Trust me...

But Henry came out of the trailer when we were shooting a test and everybody thought Okay, that’s Superman. He was awesome and did a great job.

Routh is Reeves scrawny and at some scenes, it did remind you of Reeves, which was a good thing thing because that made it possible to pull off the weak Clark Kent. Cavill is really built though, like he could actually be a Superhero so it might be more difficult to make him look geeky or nerdy as Clark, he'd have to wear a boxy Hugo Boss suit from Macys to pull it off.

Would like to see the shots of Cavill in the original togs.

Not original but close enough?
2ag3uwk.jpg

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pause.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Cavill or Routh? Because the article I posted just said Cavill pulled it off.
We actually tested him in the Christopher Reeves Superman suit. And that was a big deal. That’s a hard suit to pull off. Trust me...
But Henry came out of the trailer when we were shooting a test and everybody thought Okay, that’s Superman. He was awesome and did a great job.

Sure, he says that ... But Cavill looked so good and convincing in the iconic original that they felt compelled to change it?

Still don't see the point of a belt buckle and no belt.

Last edited:

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ To be fair, if you're talking about putting Cavill in the same exact suit as Reeves and slapping that on film, it would honestly look dated in 2013.

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think they planned to have a whole new suit to begin with. I remember Snyder talking about that from the start. They wanted a whole new generation Superman and DC comics' New 52 series coincides with that as well so it makes even more sense.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

^ To be fair, if you're talking about putting Cavill in the same exact suit as Reeves and slapping that on film, it would honestly look dated in 2013.

There's a compromise to be had ... If they'd gone with the original design in the materials used for Cavill's suit, it could have looked really cool. I like a lot about Cavill's suit -- the colors, even the muted S -- but the extraneous detailing, weird belt situation and general business let it down. It may be fine for 2013, but it will look dated in short order.

I'd really like to see the original design done up right. I don't think we've had an iconic take on it yet.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't mind the general characteristics of the new suit but it just isn't the same without the briefs.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Snyder also wanted it be more "alien"-like, as if it actually came from Krypton and that is what those weird new designs are including the chainmail-like texture. I believe the OG costume was out of the question from the beginning.

Wilkinson explained that since they created a “neo-medieval” back story for Krypton (which included the creation of a new language), it made sense to utilize the suit design as part of the mythology. “Everyone on Krypton wears this suit,” he suggested. Using ZBrush and rapid prototyping, Wilkinson came up the blue/gray color and chainmail look. “It has function and purpose and a logic to this fantastical world,” he added.

We love the idea that Snyder is starting from the ground up with this movie and in a recent interview Snyder himself said this is the most realistic movie he’s made..

At the end, just like SpiderMans costume in the ASM, it'll likely look much better in action.

I don't think this will age quick though, it's different enough w/o going too modern. It actually has somewhat a classic look with the medieval inspiration and design.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads