• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Malaysian bespoke

nice1take5

Reaction score
That's a hell of a deal. I got 4 suits on 2 occasions from a Wardrobe. The 1st 2 suits fit very well, the 2nd batch (different guy taking measurements, not sure if its diff. people actually making it) was subpar at best. Paid about $500 USD for each, and the 2nd batch was definitely a big waste of $.

why4009

Reaction score
That is a great deal. How many days did it take him to make the the suit? I visit a friend in SIngapore a lot so it would be great if he worked quickly.

Thanks for sharing this info! Do you know anyone in SIngapore who makes nice suits?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a really nice suit, especially for the price. Next time I'm passing through KL I'll be very tempted to stop here. I also would like to know how long it took and how many fittings you had.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, nice suit for a great price. If there were more of a reason to be there, it would definitely be worth the vacation to have one made at the same time.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fits you well!

Personally, I would have the quarters a bit more opened. But, thats just me.

Confucius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hymo
You drive along Jln Tuanku Abdul Rahman. It's a one way street. You'll eventually see Sogo, then down a bit you'll see Pertama Complex. Turn left, and you're on Campbell Road, with Campbell Complex on your right. To the left are several car parks; pick one. Then you walk down the road, turn left into "Asian Heritage Row". Lots of small pubs and bars. At the first junction turn right. His shop is the second.

Thanks mate, I don't think Sogo is that far from me so I'm sure a cabbie will know how to get there.

This is a semi-general question: in the side profile pic the front drapes/hangs and somewhat gives the impression that you have a pot belly (I'm sure this is much less noticeable when you're standing naturally or are in motion). Is this effect a result of the suit fit/tailoring, or is it a result of your physical characteristics?

hymo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why4009
That is a great deal. How many days did it take him to make the the suit? I visit a friend in SIngapore a lot so it would be great if he worked quickly.

Thanks for sharing this info! Do you know anyone in SIngapore who makes nice suits?

Gshen from this forum had great results from Iris Tailor.

Originally Posted by musicguy
That's a really nice suit, especially for the price. Next time I'm passing through KL I'll be very tempted to stop here. I also would like to know how long it took and how many fittings you had.

2 fittings. I'm not sure if he offers express service for tourists; my first suit took 1 month from start to finish. For the second suit, I told him I needed it quick. I'll be having the first fitting tomorrow, 3 days after measurements.

Originally Posted by benjamin831
Fits you well!

Personally, I would have the quarters a bit more opened. But, thats just me.

I, too, would prefer open quarters. The suit I'm commissioning now has them.

hymo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Confucius
Thanks mate, I don't think Sogo is that far from me so I'm sure a cabbie will know how to get there.

This is a semi-general question: in the side profile pic the front drapes/hangs and somewhat gives the impression that you have a pot belly (I'm sure this is much less noticeable when you're standing naturally or are in motion). Is this effect a result of the suit fit/tailoring, or is it a result of your physical characteristics?

I think all side profiles of suit jackets suggests something of a belly. I asked for a generous lapel roll, so this contributes to the effect.

No, I don't have a belly. When I flex my abs I can see a 4 pak.

hymo

Reaction score
Just came back from my first fitting for suit #2. Working with Ah Loke has become much easier. On my first suit, getting him to change his house cut to accomodate my ideas was excruciatingly difficult. We spent a whole hour arguing with each other during the measurement session. The first fitting was no better when I tried to get him to reduce the shoulder padding. By the second fitting we were quite sick and mistrustful of each other. But I made it all up when I praised him for the very youthful cut he delivered.

Without any prompting by me, suit #2 has possibly the most natural shoulder I've seen a Malaysian tailor do. The padding is thinner than on suit #1.

He still cut me a very "crooked" suit, i.e. the back has too much drape (not the good kind), but I caught the problem and it will be corrected.

Ah Loke doesn't really know how to do open quarters. His attempt at it wasn't so successful, so I basically chalked the outline I wanted on the basted suit.

Button stance will be 3/4 inch lower. Arm mobility is much improved.

Armholes, however, remain a sticking point. I have shown him pictures of really small armholes, and made it clear I want them, but on this suit they are no higher than on the previous suit. Far higher than any RTW, but not quite as high as some bespoke I've seen on the internet. When I pointed this out earlier today, he made a very genuine expression of shock and incredulity that any living person would want them any higher. I kinda relented.

The next fitting will be tomorrow. This is super express service he's giving me.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^are these arguments occurring in English?
laugh.gif
just want to make sure in case I try him out.

I don't like the stubbornness he seems to have shown you, that's one of the most unattractive qualities of a tailor in my opinion. High armholes are indeed one of my chief concerns too. Please post pics when you can
wink.gif

hymo

Reaction score
Our conversations are all in Cantonese, a Southern Chinese dialect. But I know he is conversant in English too. You shouldn't have any problems communicating with him.

The Cantonese, especially those of his generation, are famous for being a hard-swearing, argumentative and praiseless folk.

BTW, the second fitting went very well. I'm optimistic about the suit.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^jolly good hymo, it came out great. particularly because it's in light gray, which always shows divots, depressions, and wrinkles more than any other color (I've unfortunately found out). How did the high armholes turn out? Can you raise your arm up without shifting the upper part of the jacket? I wonder if it was fully-canvassed then those horizontal waist wrinkles wouldn't show up...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads