• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke experience with Ginza Tailor, Tokyo

Kusar

Reaction score
Tailoring in Japan is been discussed not that often in this forum, so I like to chime in and give a review of my experience with the distinguished Ginza Tailor.

I plan to try a few more establishments of the Japanese tailoring world (e.g. Azabu Tailor) in the future and will report on my experience.
I hope some of you find some value in the information even when not located in Japan.

The Way:
Ginza tailor as an tailoring establishment has quite a long tradition (founded 1935) and is located in the illustrious shopping district Ginza, (hence the name).They pride themselves to deliver the finest garments to the rich & powerful of Japans’ political and economic elite.

Just get off at Yurakucho station of the JR Yamanote line and it’s a 5 min walk for there.
Not required but I highly recommend to make a reservation ahead via phone or form at their homepage.

The Program:
It becomes not really clear from the homepage but they have two levels of bespoke services and one MTM program.

1) Ginza Clotho (MTM; mostly machine made; located in the same building)
2) Samurai Line (1~2 fittings, mostly hand-made on the premises, usage of Tatsumura kimono silk for the pocket/collar linings)
3) Hand-made (up to 3 fittings, all hand-made on the premises; limited number of suits per year)

Price-wise Ginza Tailors’ bespoke operation starts at 250.000 JPY. Made-to-Measure at 70.000 JPY.

I went for the Samurai line as the concept of integrating classic Japanese craftsmanship (kimono silk, lacquered horn buttons; calligraphy) into a garment appealed to me.

The Process:
The initial meeting took around a bit more than one hour. Sales man, cutter as well as front staff were very accommodating and subtly gave advice, if needed, while never being too intrusive into the customers decision process.
However the head cutter, quite a veteran with well over 40yrs of experience, dropped some “tough advice” every now and then when I went a bit overboard with my wishes concerning the fit of the suit;)

Eventually I went for 3-piece single-breasted suit in light grey-blue plain weave (Super 120 by Scabal) with an odd vest in true blue (Lanificio Cerruti).

One rather special touch I would like to mention is the option to get your personal Kanji (Chinese character) embroidered into the jacket. You write down you character of choice and answer some questions about your lifestyle and character. A calligraphy artisan will make then 3 interpretations of "your" Kanji based on your input to choose from. You will also receive the actual calligraphy on heavy Japanese paper in addition of having it on your jacket. How cool is that.

Lead-time was just under 2 months including one fitting after 4 weeks. Overall I am very happy with the experience itself and of course the final delivery.

By the way, the whole process was handled in Japanese but apparently there is English speaking staff on the premises too.
From what I experienced this is not the norm in Japans tailoring world, so when you around give them a look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads