• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Makers of smoking jackets other than Tom Ford

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I very much like the smoking jackets that Tom Ford sells, but it's out of the range I want to dedicate to something I wear around the house in the colder months.

Who else makes smoking jackets that are nice worthwhile, but do not retail at $5000+?

Looking for quilted lapels and silk ties.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Stuart has various, some staples and some designs change year to year. Theirs are ~$900.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're definitely high quality. Whether $900 is worth it is up to you. They were not fitted enough for me, though I have a slim/athletic build and PS has a mostly older client base, so not surprising. I usually can't wear anything there that's not tailored (sweaters, shirts, etc).

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They're definitely high quality. Whether $900 is worth it is up to you. They were not fitted enough for me, though I have a slim/athletic build and PS has a mostly older client base, so not surprising. I usually can't wear anything there that's not tailored (sweaters, shirts, etc).

I am surprised, I am 5ft7in and 140~145 lb, the suit fit me well (odd pants, sweater, shirts all require tailoring though). Even the non phineas cole ones can be pretty close in terms of fit if you pick the right model

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am surprised, I am 5ft7in and 140~145 lb, the suit fit me well (odd pants, sweater, shirts all require tailoring though). Even the non phineas cole ones can be pretty close in terms of fit if you pick the right model

Suits are tailored....

A few sweaters have worked for me (though most don't). The shirts fit like tents, not nearly fitted enough, so I am surprised they work for you (unless you're talking about Polos?). I went custom for shirts long ago, so not a big deal for me either way in that regard.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Suits are tailored....

A few sweaters have worked for me (though most don't). The shirts fit like tents, not nearly fitted enough, so I am surprised they work for you (unless you're talking about Polos?). I went custom for shirts long ago, so not a big deal for me either way in that regard.

Aha I thought when you say tailored, you mean you have to get it tailored. And when I say odd pants/shirts/sweaters I did say all of them require some tailoring...

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is pretty shameless I know, but I would love to make one up just to put it in the portfolio, PM me maybe we can work something out.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would be the approx price point for such a thing? Not asking for the "so I can put it in the portfolio" price, that's up to SkinnyG.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What would be the approx price point for such a thing? Not asking for the "so I can put it in the portfolio" price, that's up to SkinnyG.

Well its just really tricky because you have to involve someone to quilt the garment and theres a lot of more unusual things going on with the garment itself, even working with velvets is harder than other fabrics and requires special handling. its something that an MTM factory could just not handle unless maybe they are producing them for stock in big numbers.

Very hard to say on price depending on the exact spec but I would say 4k for a custom made piece and 5k (maybe more) for a handmade bespoke piece with hand quilting, I would obviously use good stuff like Scabal or Dormeuil velvet either way.

I made this ages ago locally.

http://davidreevesbespoke.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/quilted-chesterfield-overcoat-and-vest/

I got the quilting done at supreme quilting in brooklyn. The coat has a quilted lining and a detachable quilted gilet.....was not an easy garment to produce.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
David,

I appreciate the offer, with the regular price in and about 4k this may still be out of the range of consideration for this at the portfolio price, but I'll pm shortly.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, would not have thought it would cost as much or more than a suit (not sure what your suit prices have risen to), but i guess that is a lot of sewing.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, would not have thought it would cost as much or more than a suit (not sure what your suit prices have risen to), but i guess that is a lot of sewing.

Well you can get a custom suit from me these days for $2500 and a bespoke for 4k the problem is just the extra moving parts and involving another maker whether your talking custom or bespoke. We also have making suits, coats, vests trousers etc down to a tee and thats what we are geared up for, but doing things like ladies suits or more unusual pieces, well thats pretty much couture and takes more thought and time all round.

Last edited:

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Turnbull and Asser makes a gorgeous smoking jacket. A nice, slimming cut too. I think their NY sale is late this year -- sometime in August -- but you might want to call and check: (212) 752-5700.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads