• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford milanese lapel button holes

djohns7275

Reaction score
If you look at both Tom Ford and Dunhill's Milanese lapel button holes, both of which are made by Zegna they look to consistent to all be hand sewn . I have always been under the impression that a Milanese button hole had to be hand sewn . If you look at tailoring houses that have a Milanese button hole the style and finish varies from tailor to tailor and in some cases even from jacket to jacket from the same tailor , but with the Zegna made Tom Ford and Dunhill jackets every button hole is identical. The old adage if it looks to good to be true it generally isn't true come to mind . It makes me wonder if Zegna have found a way to use a machine to do this .Would anyone one on here know if they have found a machine to do it ?

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you look at both Tom Ford and Dunhill's Milanese lapel button holes, both of which are made by Zegna they look to consistent to all be hand sewn . I have always been under the impression that a Milanese button hole had to be hand sewn . If you look at tailoring houses that have a Milanese button hole the style and finish varies from tailor to tailor and in some cases even from jacket to jacket from the same tailor , but with the Zegna made Tom Ford and Dunhill jackets every button hole is identical. The old adage if it looks to good to be true it generally isn't true come to mind . It makes me wonder if Zegna have found a way to use a machine to do this .Would anyone one on here know if they have found a machine to do it ?

I don’t know if they recently switched to machine made, but there is some variation in the Milanese button holes on my TF items.

philwongnz

Reaction score
For someone who taught himself how to sew milanese button holes, I am afraid you are wrong. I also own enough TF pieces to say they are not standardised as there are flaws if you look closely. I had pieces where the back stitched is so far off to the gimp, you can tell they messed it up and correct it on the next stitch. Some pieces due to the fabric being too thick or not as finely weaved like nylon with field jackets, the button hole bunches due to the irregularities of stitching.

One thing I would love to know is what type of gimp they use, as it feels like wires rather than what you get from Gütermann.

Here are some I personally had done, hope you like them.
IMG-20200308-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20200308-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20200322-WA0030.jpg

IMG-20220409-WA0010(1).jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics