Magnetic money clip: will it f*** up my cards?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Wes Bourne, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

I saw this nice slim weekend wallet that has slots for 4 cards. It seems perfect for daily use: ATM, credit card, office card, bus pass. Thing is, it has a magnetic money clip attached on one side and the magnets appear pretty strong (clip fastens in place with a convincing snap). Any chance the magnets will demagnetize my cards?

2. MrG

MrG Senior member

I carry a slim wallet that's pretty similar to what you're describing. It has a magnetic money clip, and I've never had a problem with my credit cards. I got it for Christmas '07, so I've used it for over a year with no issues.

3. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

The reason I asked is because I currently carry a couple of bills in a magnetic clip and last month my bus pass died on me; iirc, it was the first/only time I had them both in the same pocket...As for the wallet with clip I'm eyeing, I'd expect that it's something that was thought out, but who knows...

4. osc

osc Senior member

I saw this nice slim weekend wallet that has slots for 4 cards. It seems perfect for daily use: ATM, credit card, office card, bus pass. Thing is, it has a magnetic money clip attached on one side and the magnets appear pretty strong (clip fastens in place with a convincing snap). Any chance the magnets will demagnetize my cards?

The magnet has to be pretty strong (i.e. industrial strength) to demagnetize ATM, credit cards, driver's license, office cards, etc. This is assuming that the cards are Hi Coercitivity - which almost all are nowadays.

Note: Bus passes might not be HiCo and I would be a wary of a magnet's affect on it.

5. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

I have no idea what that means, but I guess I'm buying a new wallet tomorrow! [​IMG]

6. trd6478

trd6478 Well-Known Member

mythbusters busted this myth, youll be fine

7. osc

osc Senior member

I have no idea what that means, but I guess I'm buying a new wallet tomorrow! [​IMG]

in other words: you'll be fine. (maybe not your bus pass though) [​IMG]

8. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

I wouldn't take the chance.

9. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

I'd be more worried about it affecting my mechanical watch.

Twotone

10. CrocsRock

CrocsRock Senior member

Nah, Mythbusters learns me all the science I need to know, and they sez it has to be a pretty strong magnet... think one of those rare earth, industrial-strength, I-can-lift-an-anvil magnets. Regular ol' magnet's not going to do too much.

11. DirtySouthGentleman

DirtySouthGentleman Member

i used to carry a magnetic money clip for the last five years or so, it wont mess up your credit cards, but if you get one of those new hotel card/keys it will erase it and it wont open your room door.

i had to learn this the hard way, so i would just carry the room key in my other pocket. it really sucks going back down to the lobby after a night out on the town!! any time stalling with the ladies you just brought home is never a good thing

DSG

12. nordicstyle

nordicstyle Senior member

i used to carry a magnetic money clip for the last five years or so, it wont mess up your credit cards, but if you get one of those new hotel card/keys it will erase it and it wont open your room door.

They tend to get messed up even if you don't have a magnet in your pocket. As for magnets destroying credit cards, it may take industrial strength magnets in theory, but I know many people who have had their cards ruined after having them in pockets with magnetic closures (typically found on alpine ski wear).

13. MLIW

MLIW Senior member

whats wrong with a normal clip money clip? magnets and credit cards are a bad idea though seems your asking for trouble

14. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Nothing wrong with normal (non magnetic) money clips. I actually wasn't looking for a money clip at all, but rather a slim wallet to carry the 4 cards I need on a daily basis. Unfortunately, the 3 different `weekend wallets` they had at the dept store all had a magnetic clip...

Nonetheless, I bought the wallet during lunchtime and so far, my office card and bus pass work fine.

15. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Senior member

I carried cards in a magnetic moneyclp/card case for years and never had a problem. I did have it (I believe) demagnetize a subway pass once, but that was my only problem and I kept a lot of subway passes there.