• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magnetic money clip: will it f*** up my cards?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw this nice slim weekend wallet that has slots for 4 cards. It seems perfect for daily use: ATM, credit card, office card, bus pass. Thing is, it has a magnetic money clip attached on one side and the magnets appear pretty strong (clip fastens in place with a convincing snap). Any chance the magnets will demagnetize my cards?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I carry a slim wallet that's pretty similar to what you're describing. It has a magnetic money clip, and I've never had a problem with my credit cards. I got it for Christmas '07, so I've used it for over a year with no issues.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason I asked is because I currently carry a couple of bills in a magnetic clip and last month my bus pass died on me; iirc, it was the first/only time I had them both in the same pocket...As for the wallet with clip I'm eyeing, I'd expect that it's something that was thought out, but who knows...

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I saw this nice slim weekend wallet that has slots for 4 cards. It seems perfect for daily use: ATM, credit card, office card, bus pass. Thing is, it has a magnetic money clip attached on one side and the magnets appear pretty strong (clip fastens in place with a convincing snap). Any chance the magnets will demagnetize my cards?

The magnet has to be pretty strong (i.e. industrial strength) to demagnetize ATM, credit cards, driver's license, office cards, etc. This is assuming that the cards are Hi Coercitivity - which almost all are nowadays.

Note: Bus passes might not be HiCo and I would be a wary of a magnet's affect on it.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what that means, but I guess I'm buying a new wallet tomorrow!
biggrin.gif

trd6478

Reaction score
mythbusters busted this myth, youll be fine

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I have no idea what that means, but I guess I'm buying a new wallet tomorrow!
biggrin.gif

in other words: you'll be fine. (maybe not your bus pass though)
nest.gif

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about it affecting my mechanical watch.

Twotone

CrocsRock

Reaction score
Nah, Mythbusters learns me all the science I need to know, and they sez it has to be a pretty strong magnet... think one of those rare earth, industrial-strength, I-can-lift-an-anvil magnets. Regular ol' magnet's not going to do too much.

Reaction score
i used to carry a magnetic money clip for the last five years or so, it wont mess up your credit cards, but if you get one of those new hotel card/keys it will erase it and it wont open your room door.

i had to learn this the hard way, so i would just carry the room key in my other pocket. it really sucks going back down to the lobby after a night out on the town!! any time stalling with the ladies you just brought home is never a good thing

DSG

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DirtySouthGentleman
i used to carry a magnetic money clip for the last five years or so, it wont mess up your credit cards, but if you get one of those new hotel card/keys it will erase it and it wont open your room door.

They tend to get messed up even if you don't have a magnet in your pocket. As for magnets destroying credit cards, it may take industrial strength magnets in theory, but I know many people who have had their cards ruined after having them in pockets with magnetic closures (typically found on alpine ski wear).

MLIW

Reaction score
whats wrong with a normal clip money clip? magnets and credit cards are a bad idea though seems your asking for trouble

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with normal (non magnetic) money clips. I actually wasn't looking for a money clip at all, but rather a slim wallet to carry the 4 cards I need on a daily basis. Unfortunately, the 3 different `weekend wallets` they had at the dept store all had a magnetic clip...

Nonetheless, I bought the wallet during lunchtime and so far, my office card and bus pass work fine.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I carried cards in a magnetic moneyclp/card case for years and never had a problem. I did have it (I believe) demagnetize a subway pass once, but that was my only problem and I kept a lot of subway passes there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads