• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

MacGuffen

Reaction score
I'm missing a casual longwing derby design from the Artista line. But I suppose that would be against the whole Artista philosophy.

Just think, with double JR soles and Old England leather ? Similar to this without the storm welt.
1633113411675.png

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suppose, hypothetically, one wants to specify a fairly dressy reverse-stitch split toe -- something in the direction of an EG Dover on the 606 last. What are the best choices for a custom Artista order?

Brown boxcalf vs. dark-brown vegano? (I've never understood the difference.)

Single vs. double leather sole?

Thanks for any advice.

Pretty obvious... The Velazques last was developed since South Korean agent wanted a last similar to 606, and it's what most reverse stitch toes are made on as standard. Box calf is dyed in drums so goes deeper into the leather, Vegano is crust leather which is dyed only on the surface. The former has a more solid colour which will take more time to develop patina, the latter has some more depth from the start and is easier to add character to.

I'm missing a casual longwing derby design from the Artista line. But I suppose that would be against the whole Artista philosophy.

Just think, with double JR soles and Old England leather ? Similar to this without the storm welt.
View attachment 1678400

Yeah, main line has plenty of casual models, it's not really for Artista.

Last edited:

db123456

Reaction score
Pretty obvious... The Velazques last was developed since South Korean agent wanted a last similar to 606, and it's what most reverse stitch toes are made on as standard. Box calf is dyed in drums so goes deeper into the leather, Vegano is crust leather which is dyed only on the surface. The former has a more solid colour which will take more time to develop patina, the latter has some more depth from the start and is easier to add character to.

Thanks, this is helpful. I appreciate the response.

Any thoughts on single vs. double soles? I'm not sure I've seen an Artista make up with double soles. Would that be anything like a reasonable approximation of EG's HAF soles?

l33tcoder

Reaction score
TLB fans - Is "F" width in TLB the equivalent of "standard" or "D" width in US sizing? Most of the ready to wear options available are in F width - so I am assuming this is correct.
But I recall English shoemakers calling "E" as the standard width - which is the root of my dilemma.

Thanks!

Adhazem

Reaction score
TLB fans - Is "F" width in TLB the equivalent of "standard" or "D" width in US sizing? Most of the ready to wear options available are in F width - so I am assuming this is correct.
But I recall English shoemakers calling "E" as the standard width - which is the root of my dilemma.

Thanks!

That’s correct F is D. I’m an E width with Allen Edmonds and the TLB G width fits me like a glove.

MacGuffen

Reaction score

Any thoughts on single vs. double soles? I'm not sure I've seen an Artista make up with double soles. Would that be anything like a reasonable approximation of EG's HAF soles?
I'm wondering the same thing. In particular single Inca vs double City... Would there be any practical difference? @j ingevaldsson might know?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm wondering the same thing. In particular single Inca vs double City... Would there be any practical difference? @j ingevaldsson might know?

Yeah, even if HAF soles are single at the waist and makes it possible for a very sleek waist, TLB makes the waists so narrow on Artista that also for double soles they look rather neat, so pretty comparable to EG HAF.
Inca soles they don't trim the same way but do square, so they will almost look wider despite being slightly thinner.

Here's a good look at a double sole on The Elegant Oxford's Youtube, would look similar with city sole apart from the welt finishing. Below photo of the same shoe:

TLB Mallorca is a Spanish brand, not English, so they use a different nomenclature.

Not really, both follow the European width system, they have different standard widths though which can confuse things. I write more about how shoe sizing works in this article for those interested.

VegasRebel

Reaction score

I recently purchased a pair of Artista wholecuts and Toni had me send in photos and comparisons. I'm a 13D in Allen Edmonds, and he ended up suggesting 12E's for the Artista shoes.

I should get my shoes Monday, so pics incoming and I'll say something about fit then, but either way Toni reached out after my order to give a specific suggestion and I'd defer to Toni on that.

Franco Ocarez

Reaction score
What are the advantages and disadvantages of double soles versus single soles? I'm about to order my shoes at the new event and I want to be sure.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the advantages and disadvantages of double soles versus single soles? I'm about to order my shoes at the new event and I want to be sure.
Double soles will theoretically be longer lasting but will be stiffer and as @j ingevaldsson pointed out its a different look.

In my opinion it comes down to the look you want more than anything. The Artista double soles are relatively sleek for a double sole but it’s a different look. If it were me - If I were ordering boots or a casual derby I’d consider double soles but for an oxford or more sleek derby to be worn with tailoring I’d do the single sole or city sole.

Durability concerns are usually overblown and you’ll probably be able to go years without needing a resole either way if you’ve got a decent rotation.

Adhazem

Reaction score
Double soles will theoretically be longer lasting but will be stiffer and as @j ingevaldsson pointed out its a different look.

In my opinion it comes down to the look you want more than anything. The Artista double soles are relatively sleek for a double sole but it’s a different look. If it were me - If I were ordering boots or a casual derby I’d consider double soles but for an oxford or more sleek derby to be worn with tailoring I’d do the single sole or city sole.

Durability concerns are usually overblown and you’ll probably be able to go years without needing a resole either way if you’ve got a decent rotation.

That’s what I did. I ordered the 121 in single sole and the mainline boot in double sole. My upcoming Artista is single sole.
AB6AA27D-F95B-4AE8-ADA7-B03B352B5A41.jpeg
55483C1F-9281-4883-A5FB-40304DB2CCE0.jpeg

JustPullHarder

Reaction score

I was under the impression that often midsoles aren't soling leather and aren't intended to be worn into. So it's more of a comfort thing and the midsole would get reused in a resole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads