• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 4

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Cheating, lying asshole that enjoys physically intimidating her.

Whether his name is Don Draper or Dick Whitman, and whether he came from Podunksvill or NYC, that's him.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burt didn't care. Pete doesn't care anymore.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
It's not like Betty was entirely taken by surprise either. She was well aware of the fact that she never really "knew" her husband as demonstrated in one of the very first episodes where she was awake in bed while he slept and she did the ominous "who are you?" while looking at him.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
It's not like Betty was entirely taken by surprise either. She was well aware of the fact that she never really "knew" her husband as demonstrated in one of the very first episodes where she was awake in bed while he slept and she did the ominous "who are you?" while looking at him.

Interesting. I don't remember that. Foreshadowing, indeed!

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
About Betty and the divorce, I think all sympathy for her was lost over her reasons for the divorce. If she had bailed because he was a cheating drunk who was never around and provided no emotional support for the family, we'd all be in her corner. But she bailed on him because he was a farm boy, who had technically sort of been married before, and it didn't fit her little fairy tale princess scenario of life she had mapped out. Combine that with her lining up Henry Francis as an immediate replacement, her horrendous treatment of the kids, etc, and she just looks awful all the way around.

One of the low moments for Betty was when her dad was dying and she refused to talk about the estate, basically said "You can't make me be an adult and deal with this, make it go away" and Don had to take care of it. Betty's whole world-view in a nutshell.

Don's no saint by any means, but he's at least living in reality most of the time. This season's alcohol abuse shows him NOT living in reality and how it's screwing his life up.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
About Betty and the divorce, I think all sympathy for her was lost over her reasons for the divorce. If she had bailed because he was a cheating drunk who was never around and provided no emotional support for the family, we'd all be in her corner. But she bailed on him because he was a farm boy, who had technically sort of been married before, and it didn't fit her little fairy tale princess scenario of life she had mapped out. Combine that with her lining up Henry Francis as an immediate replacement, her horrendous treatment of the kids, etc, and she just looks awful all the way around.

One of the low moments for Betty was when her dad was dying and she refused to talk about the estate, basically said "You can't make me be an adult and deal with this, make it go away" and Don had to take care of it. Betty's whole world-view in a nutshell.

Don's no saint by any means, but he's at least living in reality most of the time. This season's alcohol abuse shows him NOT living in reality and how it's screwing his life up.

You, sir, have listed some decent reasons for being equally disgusted with Betty as a character. Thanks for reminding me.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, Betty found out Don had been cheating....and cheated back with that random dude at the bar, and then with Henry. That was when she still thought he was Don Draper, illustrious business person from California etc etc. Then she learned he was Dick Whitman, divorced farm-boy, and she suddenly found him intolerable.

I mean, it was a significant lie to be sure, but his infidelity was tolerable but not that?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, Betty found out Don had been cheating....and cheated back with that random dude at the bar, and then with Henry. That was when she still thought he was Don Draper, illustrious business person from California etc etc. Then she learned he was Dick Whitman, divorced farm-boy, and she suddenly found him intolerable.

I mean, it was a significant lie to be sure, but his infidelity was tolerable but not that?

Yes, that was exactly my point above.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Combine that with her lining up Henry Francis as an immediate replacement, her horrendous treatment of the kids, etc, and she just looks awful all the way around.

Originally Posted by robbie
Then in season two you realize how petty she is, and the she just continues to be concerned with really really stupid things and unlike-able in every way.

I think you guys are forgetting one small thing
january-jones-gq-pictures.jpg

january_jones_457.jpg

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by limping_decorum
oh yeah....she can't act.

hoooo man, you're not kidding.

Her performance as the host of Saturday Night Live was so awful, it actually turned me off to J Jones as well as Betty Draper.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
hoooo man, you're not kidding.

Her performance as the host of Saturday Night Live was so awful, it actually turned me off to J Jones as well as Betty Draper.

Why on Earth did they pick her to host SNL? Was it when she had that GQ cover?

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by limping_decorum
the chick who plays peggy will get a emmy before jones does.......that or a potted plant.

Peggy is fantastic but I'm going to stick up for January Jones--I think her acting is excellent in Mad Men. Much of the reason people hate her so much is because she's so effective at playing the spoiled, self-centred ***** Betty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads